“Very very disappointing!!!!!”

Sabaii Bay Resort
Phuket, Thailand
“Very very disappointing!!!!!”
Reviewed January 10, 2012

We stayed there over the new year period, when it was a minimum of 5 nights stay.
We paid 50€ a night but it was worth far far less. I understand it was high season of 2011, but to be' honest it was very disappointing.
There wasn't always running water in the bathroom, which was more than often flooded!!!!!!
The room we stayed in was tiny and not very nice.
The restaurant was overpriced and the food was far below standards expected, you would be far better off eating at the street stalls.
The only positive aspect to my whole stay there was that the owners and employees were friendly. Overall i would not recomend staying here and would be very wareful of all accomandation in ko phangan!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Valentina D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Location:
Stayed during peak times minimum stay of 7 nights required for New Year/fullmoon party, location is good if you don't want the noise and crowds of Haad Rin, only 100baht per person each way about 15 to 20 min cab ride. Nice way to meet people from other countries on the way to and from Haad Rin, because cabs here will randomly pick anyone that is going the same way as you are.

Beach:
It has it's own beach which is nice

Room:
They will only clean it if you tell them, we had our room cleaned three times. None of the time was our sink wipe, our shower swept of sand.So of course everytime I shower it plugs up.

For the price we're paying we expected more I guess. My friend and I have take this as one of our learning experiences we acquired in Thailand.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank mistaken4locals
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2011

I stayed at Sabaii during the week of the November Full Moon Party. The resort isn't far from the main pier and is a short drive from the full moon party area. Its also a stone throw away from a lovely beach which is generally pretty quiet and a great place to chill out.

Sabaii is family run, has a nice atmosphere about it and is generally well run. The staff made you feel welcome and were really helpful if you were unsure about anything. The main man was Nam who was always at hand for a bit of banter and made sure you were comfy and looked after in general. We chose to stay in the basic accommodation which was fine but there was more comfortable accommodation if you wanted to pay more. We were travelling around so werent looking for anything too fancy as long as it was clean and accessible to allow us to explore the island. Most evenings there would be entertainment like a DVD or tunes etc which was good when you didn't fancy any of the local pubs and just wanted to relax and have a laugh with the friendly staff and other tourists. The food on site was nice and the same as most local prices.

Great place to stay and cant recommend it highly enough. Left with a smile on my face after a great few days.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kathleen R
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I stayed in Sabaii Bay Resort on Fullmoon Party on June2011. The reason I chose this resort was the location and resort’s atmosphere. Sabaii Bay is not far from Thongsala Pier. It’s 10 minutes drive and it’s quite convenience and close to Pangan Town, Walking Street and Fullmoon Party Area. It’s very easy to access to other beaches by car and motorcycle. The owner of the resort is very friendly and their hospitality are great. The resort is very clean, nice decoration, cozy and colorful. First two days, the rooms are full-booked. I got the Bungalow Fan. It’s close to the sea. Whenever, I look out from the door. I can see the beach all the time and it’s very windy, not hot at all. The toilet is very clean. You can take a walk on the beach and Sun Bath easily. It’s like you private area. There is a big green yard in front of the room too. The next two days after Fullmoon party, I moved to Air-Con room. The room is very nice, big restroom, T.V, mini private balcony. I felt very relax and warm while I was staying there. I can order breakfast and dinner there, no need to go out. The resort serves various menus of food and beverages. The food is big portion and it’s worth to pay, price is reasonable. Taste is very good. Resorts also provide Boat Booking, helps about boat schedule for next tourist destination like Koh Tao or Koh Samui and also taxi service, Flight Booking. It’s very impressive service. I notice that the resort staff always helps their quest during their stay with care and service mind. After hard time Fullmoon Party, this place is really good place for relax.
Of course, I will re-visit this resort again for sure and would like to recommend all travelers.
Annie

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank ann_149
München, Deutschland
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Sabaii Bay Resort is located near Ban Tai, the perfect origin for both partying and quite relaxing on the beach. The whole resort is sure one of the most beautiful on the whole island, with perfect value for the money, which you won't get elsewhere on the island.
The bungalows are new and stylish with a perfect range from simple but totally sufficient facilities up to higher class big bungalows with aircon and flat screen TV. The bungalows are situated around a beautiful garden with a perfect seaview and shadowing palm trees. The beach itself is a little bit shallow, what makes it a perfect place for kite surfing, but it is also only a walk about 100 meters to go for a swim in deeper water. What makes the Sabaii Bay Beach very special is that there is a little river flowing in to the sea, so you can chose to take a bath either in the river or in the sea. It looks like on a postcard when u see the river coming out of the palm tree wood floating over the beach into the see. The resorts provides sunlounger and a traditional thai palm roofed sun deck to relax on this amazing beach. Moreover the resorts offers a Volleyball field, sea kajaks, a pool table, TV with DVD player, free w-lan if you've got your own device - otherwise they rent notebooks for little price (what I really enjoyed is that the w-lan is also available in all the rooms) an excellent traditional thai cuisine and any bookings for trips and travelling. They also rent motorbikes that are well maintenanced and what is more important for me, they won't cheat you if you re causing a damage to the bike like most of the others do. They also organise special fishing trips on a squid boat.
The location of the place is ideal as an origin to nearly every place on the island. All the parties are in reach, some of them in walking distance. But it is also a very quiet and relaxing place from where you can easily explore the beautiful beaches and villages of Koh Phangan. Also the only road to the west coast is situted near to the resort, so that its an easy drive to go to Tong nai pan, since they built a good road.

The owners of the place are Mai from Koh Phanagn and her husband Per from Sweden. They are so kind and careing, they would do anything for their customers. Sounds odd but you come as a stranger and leave as a friend. The familiy of the owners is a traditional Koh Phangan familiy and you easily get involved into the real life of a Thai familiy. Nearly everybody who is working there is a relative what makes a special friendly and familiar flair.
It is not only about making money but about spending a great time together. The owners drive you to every party or elsewhere you want and sometimes they even join you.
If you have any special requests just aks and I am sure they will help.

I have traveled nearly all of Thailand and Asia, but I always come back to this unique place, I haven't experienced anything compareable to this kindness and friendliness before and after!

Room Tip: Homepage, Email or Facebook or just drop by
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fl0rea
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed May 27, 2011

Since I already stayed at this place in january 2010, and I enjoyed my time there alot, I decided to come back on my last thailand trip, and I surely didnt regret it. The couple running the place is extremely lovable, and coming back there felt really good and familiair. They treat you like a part of the family, and are always up for a chat. The food (try the Green Curry!) is prepared with style and quickly served, and definitly not overpriced if you look at the quality of it. they have rooms for all budgets, I stayed in a fan bungalow, which was very clean, and spacious. location is close to the party action on the island, but still far enough away to have a relaxing time. go there! dont miss out folks!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 19, 2011

I came to full moon two years ago and it was an extreme blast! I decided to go to Thailand and visit my Foreign Exchange student that I hosted again in May. We then decided to go to full moon as well but it was too late to book unless we wanted to pay 3,000 a night. So we decided to just travel to the island without any where to stay hoping to find something cheap and nice when we made it to the island. So, we arrived to the island and began our process of negotiation on the pier with the owner's sister. We were looking for a fan room but none were available for that day so she offered us an A/C room for 1,500 and then the next day we could transfer to a fan room for 500 which is normally 800. We talked her down to 1,300 for the A/C and 500 for the fan. She then agreed and wrote it down on their pamphlet and then the owner took us to her car to take us to our resort. We waited for about 5 min, then we left. She wanted 100 for the taxi ride to the resort and we paid her then and there. We got to the resort and it was beautiful. We met her Swedish husband and everyone was so friendly at first. She took us to our room and then told us that we had to stay three nights and that we could stay in the fan room for an extra night for 500. She said think about it and she headed off to do business back at the pier. The room was very nice. We went to go pay for our room and paid 1,300 and the male receptionist told us that the fan rooms were all booked for tomorrow... So we paid our one night in the A\C room (1,300 + 500 deposit) and waited for the owner to come back and deal with her. We
Went back to our room and began to get comfortable. Then the receptionist came to our bungalow and proceeded to tell us that they have found someone else who will pay full price for the air conditioned room for three nights. So our choice they gave us was either stay for 1,800 per night for 3 nights or leave even though we made our prior deal of 1,300 and 500 fan room. I was very upset!!! They realized that they basically gave us the room for dirt cheap and was trying to kick us out to make more money. I was not going to leave unless they found something for us somewhere else for equal or better of their first offer. The receptionist went to go figure things out and told us there is a fan room for 700 somewhere else. I said no, I want 500 or cheaper if you want me to leave and I want to talk to the owner not you.

The owner came back and we began to discuss the situation at hand. She said that we had to stay in the A/C room for three nights for full price or leave. She offered to find us something I said no. We were offered this deal and handed her the pamphlet saying "A/C 1,300, fan 500." I told her she will give us this deal or better for your screw up. She then said, 3,500 for three nights in the A/C room. I said deal. That made our room 1,133 baht per night which was cheaper than our first offer.

We then paid the rest of our bill I will break it down below.

1,300 A/C Paid
500 Deposit Paid
=1,800 Paid

3,500 A/C 3 Nights
500 Deposit
-1,800
2,200 owed

We paid 2,200 more for three nights in our A/C room and were pleased and thought our troubles were over. We then ate lunch and the menu was not up to date and had a sticky note on the front stating that all the prices were increased by 10 baht. Also all of the food was very expensive but very tasty. A small water is 30 baht. I understand the point of connivence equals increased price.

We tried to pay for our bill and try said we could pay later tonight.

We went an took a nap after our long travel and then woke up for dinner. We ordered and ate dinner then tried to pay for our meal once again, and they said we could pay tomorrow. We then left for full moon soon after and had a great night.

The next morning we rented a motorbike from them for 200 baht for about 24 hours. We tried to pay for that as well and they said they will put it on the tab. We left to eat elsewhere because we did not like the service we had at the resort nor did we want to pay the extremely high prices. We ate and came back and demanded to pay for our tab. The male receptionist said he was very busy and would have to wait. He then acted like he was busy and we went and sat down. He then walked over to a couple of guys and began a conversation with them for about 5 min. I said loudly, I wonder if he is still busy.... I was very angry once again.

We waited for a few more min and then I went up to the course and asked the owner to see our tab so we knew where we were at so we could plan accordingly. She said 630 baht and I said for what. (I kept track of our tab on my phone and was simply making sure they weren't screwing us over.) She said that our taxi ride was 100 from the pier to the resort and it was in our bill. (We have already paid that as stated in the begging of the story.) We then tried to discuss this dispute with her and she said wait a min then sat down and began to talk to her family for 20 min while we were waiting. Finally I left and my foreign exchange student stayed to wait. She came back and said that we paid our bill for 530. I asked if we paid for the motorbike and she said no, we wait till tomorrow when we turn it back in.

They simply do not recognize us unless we want something that costs money. They are simply trying to make us made to make us leave early and keep our money we paid and have more people stay in room. That's how we even got our room because the people before us paid and planned to stay for 3 nights but decided to leave a day early. So the resort technically made double on the room for the day, and want that process to occur again. We have decided to turn on all electrical devices on in the bungalow to raise their bills along with a hair straightener that is on, the A/C on full blast, and having the hot shower run for the whole day. We deserve respect and if we do not receive it then they will receive a very high bill after we leave.

We have two more nights to go and absolutely hate the service, but love our room. Will never stay here again. I'm sure something else will happen with the motorbike when we try to pay for that and you will see that review + story soon!

• Stayed May 2011