“cheap but ok”

and 1 more site!
Haadsalad Resort
Ranked #58 of 137 Ko Pha Ngan B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 4, 2012

it was a cheap stay and the service was average. no roomservice, no fridge. you can pick up fresh towels every day and you get one roll of toilet paper a day. for the price it was okay. altough its names smilebeach, the staff was hardly smiling. bungalow was simple but worth the money. bathroom had a shower and was clean. short walk to the beach. ac was suprisingly quiet. two times there was a electricity outage which lasted for an hour. dont know if that was a problem of the hotel or a general problem at haad salad. i can recommendet it if you like to keep it simple and dont have big expectations.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 25, 2011

I had to double check I was looking at the same resort when I read the other glowing reports of smile resort as our experience was quite different. We stayed for a few nights in late January / early Feb 2011 when the weather was not so great in Koh Phangan and the resort was fairly quiet. I think maybe this had something to do with the mood of the owner who was anything but smiley with us!

Bungalow was okay, obviously needs updating and I think is slightly overpriced compared to other places we have stayed in Thailand (it wasnt full moon when the prices are higher). It wasnt super clean and our pillows stank, and when my husband asked for clean pillow covers, they just gave us another smelly pillow! It is the kind of place where everything is extra, breakfast, wifi (even when you eat in restuaurant, they have some complicated discounts thing where if you spend $10 on food you might get 10 minutes free wifi) and even toilet roll you have to pay for if you use more than one roll, regardless of the length of your stay! We just ended up eating every meal and getting free wifi from a nicer, friendlier and better located bungalow place on the beach (forget the name but it is the same price and looks a lot nicer!)

The owner just seemed unfriendly the whole time, snatched money off us when we paid for laundry and generally just made us want to leave early (so we did!)

We also booked train tickets to Bangkok with them and they overcharged us for a higher class than we ended up getting. Also, the hotel taxi driver from the port drives like a lunatic (and costs a lot!) , hold on tight.

I would not recommend this place - so many nicer places out there.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vrenier
Reviewed March 2, 2011

When my taxi pulled up in front of the hotel am member of staff came out to greet me and carry my bags to reception. I was then checked in by a friendly and polite member of staff who spoke very good english. On the morning I checked out, I wanted to do so at 7am, and reception was opened early just for me.

The room was a basic wooden bungalow: a room with a bed, wardrobe and a fan - exactly what I booked. The ensuite had an electric shower with warm water, a flushable toilet and toilet paper. Sounds obviously but I have visited lovely places in Thailand where the facilities were a hose, bucket and bowl. The room did not come with a mosquito net, which for me was not a problem until the last of my three nights when I got bitten a lot. I am sure that if I had asked for one, one would have been available. The windows were fitted with mosquito screens, but there were ventilation holes in the ensuite, with a slatted door in between.

My bungalow was only 3 min walk from the Salad Beach (see separate review).

The resort was very quiet and I hardly ever saw any other guests, let alone be disturbed by them. The porch had a hammock and I spent many an hour swinging while reading a book, especially when it was too hot to be on the beach. The porch was a lovely spot where I could watch the many colourful butterflies and birds that were flying around me.

Getting to the resort is about a 25 min journey from the pier. I took a motorbike taxi to the resort at a cost of B200 (£4). The hotel does not have a motorbike service so I had to use their regular taxi when checking out, which cost B300 (£6). These prices are fair by UK prices, but very high by Thai standards, though they are typical on this island where people have no choice but to rent their own motorbike or use a taxi to travel from one part of the island to another.

The good thing about this resort is that it is very close to the other resorts at Salad beach, therefore there are many choices with regards to eating out, and it is easy to organise excursions to other places on the island or beyond. There is internet available, and a collection of books to make use of if you have forgotten your own.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 15, 2010

Smile is a small bungalow complex, run by very friendly staff.. Don't expect 5 star luxury, but if you are wanting the experience of real Thai culture head here. Basic but clean huts, excellent restaurant and the best bar on the beach!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I was meant to stay at smile for 3 nights and ended up staying for a month. it is hands down the best place i went. the beach is wonderful, the staff are so lovely and friendly, you get to know everyone else staying there, the food is amazing... i loved it and am already planning my next trip back!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 17, 2010

Stayed at the Smile beach resort in July with my 15 year old son, we had a great stay, the staff were very friendly and helpful, you must try the food in their restaurant, or you can take it back to your room, it was delicious, and very reasonably priced, the steak in pepper sauce with chips and salad was only a fiver, and i nearly had another one, but after eating that, and having a couple of bottles of chang beer, i was too full!
We usually rent a scooter wherever we go, but some reviews before we went said to be careful where you rent them from due to the people hiring them trying to get money off you for scratches or damage that was already there, and one place apparently fixes them so that you have a good chance of having an accident on it, there was also messages in our room advising against hiring them, so we walked a fair bit which we both enjoyed. If i went again, i would take an international licence (had 2 fines so far for not having one £5-6 depending on exchange rate!) the licence is only about £5.50, and ask the staff to recommend a hirer. It's quite hilly, so a scooter would be very handy, there's always the songthaews if you don't get one. As our stay didn't co-inside with the full moon party, we got a room for three nights with an extra night free. My son made full use of the hammock on the chalet porch. So a lovely stay, with lovely staff.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 23, 2010

Wonderful staff in smile beach resort, most of them from Burma and i have a lot of fun with them they are so friendly.

This hotel is okay if you want to stay like me 2 nights, not more i think ... just because his located in Haad salad where you have to drive for about half an hour to find a beautiful beaches...

The twin private room is really really basic.........

on the "beach " 2 minutes walk i advice you to go in Tuk massage " Magic hands ", my best massage ever.......... so good.... so professionnal....

The main negative point for me is that only 2 persons speaks english (few words) and is quiet hard to get information from somebody else.............

The smile beach resort TAXI is awesome, a 4X4 brand new, resonnable prices and available when you need it..........

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple