“Superb”

Salad Buri Resort & Spa
Ranked #37 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Came here with a large group of friends. Couldn't have picked a better place. Staff were wonderful and friendly. Always greeted us with a smile. Rooms were situated quite high. 2 rooms per bungalow. Amazing views. Rooms were clean, aircon was fine. Bathroom was spacious and depending on the room you got it was even bigger. Bedroom was a decent size and again, depended which side. It was more spacious. All had a balcony with a jacuzzi outside. Great way to relax and soak in to view. Very nice touch. Getting down to the pools and restaurants was a short walk down. Was a maze at first, and steep. Getting back up was a pain. We quickly learned of the complimentary golf buggy back up if you were feeling lazy/tired. Beach was nice and there were some shops, bars, activities if you strolled down a bit. Town was pretty far so we organised scooters. No more than a 20min ride to thongsala. Very fun ride. Just be super careful as the road leading INTO the resort was more than 45 degrees and hairpinned. Don't stack or fly off the edge. When you get here you will know what I'm talking about. Crazy stuff. The restaurant offered a decent selection. Not the best food ever, but I expected that. Overall no complaints. Price was ok. Free breakfast was a buffet of your standard stuff. Toast, sasauge, juices etc. However there were chefs preparing fresh pancakes and omelettes with your choice of fillings/toppings. Very impressed. Pro tip: don't hold up the already long line waiting for your order. Sit down and the chefs will bring it out to you when it's ready ;) Overall I really rate this resort. Definitely been the best Thailand Island experience to date!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank toca_j
There are newer reviews for Salad Buri Resort & Spa

Reviewed March 5, 2014

I read reviews here but came anyway on a personal recommendation - the check in was painless and efficient,plus the accommodation was spot on (villa with pool).
I could complain about the view being restricted by trees, but I think the fact they haven't just cut down the natural vegetation is to be praised....

I'd agree the sun loungers could do with new covers, but when mixed with the all round helpful staff, beautiful location, lovely food and great accommodation - it'd be unfair to complain.
The WiFi was good enough to Skype home regularly, the moped hire was easy (I didn't crash, so didn't have to pay for repairs).
I came for 2 weeks rest and relaxation, given the chance I'll be back again - can't think of anywhere better to do nothing...

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank James T
Montri P, Owner at Salad Buri Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Dear Value Guest

First, we wouls like say thank you for such a nice review given, your review would be very helpful to us for further improvement. We are happy to hear that you were happy and satisfy while staying with us. We would that we would have a chance to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

It was a pleasure again staying for a week at the salad buri. We loved our cozy standard room on top of the hill. Very nicely furnished. We enjoyed all these little thai style details. Room was made up perfectly every day. I can't speak of any other category of room yet than standard, but we might try next time, as looking very nice too. The pool is huge and very nice. Only the covers of the sunbeds should be replaced soon and it's a shame the poolbar is constantly closed. A bit more service around the pool would great. Breakfast was good, nothing to complain about. Service in restaurant was good too and I don't share the opinion of other comments that service is rude there. The fruit shakes from the restaurant were awesome. Dinner we had there sometimes was good too and bbq on beach was cool.

Overall I think it's a great resort for the price we paid.

We'll come back again.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HannesVonPreussen

Dear value guest

We are pleased to here that it was not your first time staying with us and also very happy to know that you did have a great time at Salad Buri again. We hope that we would have a chance to serve such a happiness stay to you again in this near future.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

the journey to the resort is not for the faint hearted!!! the transfer organised by the resort gives you peace of mind but you can do it yourself much more cheaply.
Haad Salad is stunning...it looks like the bounty advert. we have some beautiful pics.
great pool villa, polished floors, lots of seating, plenty of space. Although on the dark side of the hill during February it's always in shade. And overgrown trees meant our ocean view was limited... but we didn't mind. When the temp was in the 30's your own shaded pool area was fantastic. kept clean on a daily basis. quite a hike up the steep hill to your room but golf carts can take you up if the hips and knees are bothering you!
Biggest negative was the bed linen. it was like sleeping on sandpaper - for a luxury resort and the poshest on the beach they really need to replace the old bobbled linen.
I had to turn mine nearly every night to a smooth spot! aircon worked well.
pool area lovely and clean. although broken tiles meant the pool was out of use for three days while they did the repair (they didn't keep the water moving in the bigger pool so it got all murky and uninviting.)
while we were there they swapped the beautiful (although worn) solid teak beds... to plastic without a mat... not good.
we took the cookery course. Just for one would have been enough. they should do an offer of 4 recipes for two rather than 3 each.... too much. However Poompooyay, the chef was fabulous.
Unfortunately this was not reflected in the restaurant meals which didn't taste anything like the fresh fragrant food we had made with the chef. we found other places to eat.
Breakfast had plenty on offer.
the location is isolated and very beautiful, all of the seafront restaurants and hotels clear the sand of the previous days rubbish (bottles, cigarette butts etc.) so it always looks clean.
the sea is very safe but isn't so easy to get into though because of all the sharp broken coral... the future white sand...very sore on your feet... if i were taking children i'd definitely take the jellos for their feet.
you have to head up...and up....(take oxygen) then down into haad yao if you want some shops, up over the hill as drinks, snacks etc are very expensive. other restaurants are much more reasonable for drinks and food.

Room Tip: pool villa with sea view fantastic. didn't like the look of the lagoon villa as on view to every...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for such a nice review, every single bit of your would be very useful for us to make further improvement. We, Salad Buri team hope that we would have a chance to welcome you again in the soon future

Salad Buri

Reviewed January 27, 2014

This is a sham of a resort. I visit Thailand 3-4 times a year with my business, and having to come to Haad Salad to conduct most of my work - its normal I stay on the bay. Having tried 3 others on the bay this time around we decided to try Salad Buri. Wow what a bad choice.....
First lets stat off with the welcoming.. or should I say lack of. In a land of smiles this resort has none.. we were shown to our Pool Villa with cold water, no light and no view (even though asking 3 times if it was Ocean view) we then had to move villas after no hot water - (fair enough)
For our trip, like always I rented a moped... I always take care in driving around the Island having seen some horrific crashes and incidents. On hiring the bike we looked closely at the bike and ensured it was in perfect condition - My bad it seemed I didnt check UNDER the bike where they billed me on check out 2000 BHT for a part missing!!!! Seriously this is a scam at its worst. Nothing I could say would help and the more I pleaded the more guilty I sounded so I paid the money as it was going nowhere. The Place was not busy yet everything they did took ages, weather it was ordering a drink, asking for room service, asking for the check etc... 10 sometimes 20 minutes and 2-3 times of asking. This is not a good resort, this does not offer good service, nor good food, The rooms are over priced at 5000 bht for a room with a huge steep hill and no ocean view (too many trees in the way that could be easily cut) their is no privacy in your rooms. Staff are rude to the extent you feel guilty to ask something. You get scammed.... I really wish I had booked at another place on the bay.

6  Thank bobobo308272
Montri P, Owner at Salad Buri Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Dear Sir/Madam

First, I would like to say thank you for your comment as it will be very useful for future improvement. Also, I would like to apologize that we are unable to make you satisfy while staying with us. Beside, there is one point regarding to your comment that I think it is needed to be clarified, which is the motor bike rental. Once you rent a bike, the one in charge for motor bike rental will guide you through all parts and dimensions of the bike, then he will ask you to read and sign the contract. After you have signed the contract it does mean that you are willing to pay for any damages caused during the length of renting time.

I would like to say sorry again for such a bad experience that you were having.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We stayed for three nights and had a very nice time. The pool are is really nice and the room was small, but in good condition. We just got a basic room, which had a really great view of the sea. Some of the staff were a bit unfriendly, especially compared to other places we've stayed in Thailand. Breakfast was pretty good; try the banana pancakes! Food was great. For dinner we went to their sister hotel further down (I can't remember the name, but you can ask) and it was fantastic. Great wine, excellent BBQ fish and great ambiance. A great place to stay if you are with a partner of family, however may be a bit quiet for young singles.

Dear Sir/Madam

First, I would like to say thank you for such a nice review and I am apprecitate to know that you were having such a good time while staying with us.

Salad Buri hope that we would have a chance to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Do not be cheated by the hill view and once nicely decorated rooms. The hotel stuff will turn it to a night mare.

It all started from the reception desk, where one of their managers was quite impudent, when we were stuck undeceive about staying there or leaving to look for a better value for money (as for $130, that we paid for the room, one can stay in a real 5 star hotel in Thailand). Ignoring her behavior, we decided to stay, and now I can say it was a mistake.

When we picked up our premier suite it all looked nice until we started touching things: everything that can be unfixed is: soap-holder(no soap is provided btw), toilet paper holder, etc etc are shaking, several lights were broken, decoration vase was broken too.. Though, the first thing you find in your room is price-list for damaging hotel belongings (half of those on the list weren't even in the room).

I wouldn't mind the jacuzzi being a bath tube only, if one could fill it with hot water enough to cover their body, but it is just impossible. That's how it works: you can only have hot water there for several minutes, so that you get a thin layer of it, and then it gets cold and you've got to freeze yourself by turning the air conditioning inside the room to 20 Celciums (that's what the management suggested), then in ten minutes you will get another another 15 liters of hot water, then water starts running cold again, and you have to wait again while the water you've poured to the tube is getting cold.. I complained twice, they said they'd send someone to check and fix it, but it never happened.
It once happened that all the water was cut out for 45 minutes. We reported immediately and waited for someone to come and check for half an hour.

The service: I've cut my foot deep in the see (as the see next to the hotel is covered with corals and stones and its really dangerous to get into the water there). The management could only get me a bottle of iodine with an outdated expire date, that could do no disinfection at all.
When my husband got sick with fever (they saw him at reception, all red, hot with temperature, covered with sweat and unable to stand on his feet) and I asked them, if they knew the operation hours of a doctor cabinet, located in 5 minutes walk from the hotel, they just said they DON"T KNOW, not even making an attempt to call the doctor, or find out the information. So we decided to go to the central clinic in Thongsala and the hotel driver would drive us by a longer and worse road that goes along the sea-side, trying to find other passengers on the way, instead of taking a faster way where it was less likely to make extra money.

The taxi prices for the same root can be 300B one day and 400B the other, depending on the duty manager's appetites.

Nothing you order from the restaurant or even the room service can be put on your room: You've got to carry cash all around with you, whether you are at the beach or at the pool side. To order drinks to the pool or beach-side, you still need to go to the restaurant yourself, and order there. Noone would bother to approach you.

Breakfast is not a 4 star and the yogurts there were 2 days after the expiry date. The waiters took no action when I told them about it, and one of the managers - said he had another opinion on expiration dates: according to him, products "can be still good for one or two months after what's written on the pack"..

The personnel, but for 3 absolutely unuseful managers, don't speak English at all. It creates problems now and them.

The SPA is just several beds on the beach right next to the restaurant. None of masseuses is a certified one. The instruments for manicure weren't sterilized properly: a girl just put couple of drops of peroxide (again, with outdated expiry date) on her scissors. The procedure is just a torture: she didn't use neither hot water not a cuticle remover to soften it and just started to steer the nail with some metal shovel, scratching it. My hands looked worse when I finished, then before I started.

The only nice thing in that hotel is a girl who helped us book tickets back to Bkk. Very professional and friendly, I hope she finds a place in a nicer business, and all other "managers" are just the sort of people, that on no occasion, be they the owner's cousins or friends, can work in service industry.

And there is no fitness center, btw.

3  Thank amorfed

Dear Sir/Madam

First of all, I would like to say thank your comment as it will be very useful for our future improvement. However, regarding to your comment I would like to clarify some of the points that you have lised out. First, about the hot water as we use the boiler together the heater, then that's the reason why we suggest the guest to turn on the aircondition for 15-20 minutes, just to make the water heat up faster.

Besides, although we are not such a perfect hotel, please believe that we did try our best to service the customers. So the decond point where I would like to explain is that, as when there is a problem with the hot water, we then have to fix the boiler which located outside the room. So when you call and report the problem, we did actually sent the satff to fix it, but they were fixing outside the room, so this is why you may not see them fixing it.

Third, I would be very appreciated if you could tell me the appearance of the driver where you claimed that he's looking to another passenger along the road, as I take this as a serious case. Our hotel have such a strong policy that the taxi driver do not have the right to pick up potentail customer along the road and if they do so it means that they are corrupted.

Fourth, for the Taxi fee, we do have the standard rate for the normal time, but the rate will be changed if you are going later than the time set for standard price.

Fifth, it is the hotel policy that the bill can not be charged onto the room, and we have such a strong reason of doing so. In the past we do allow guest to pay all of their bill together when they are checking out, but we have experienced so many problems related to unable to collect money from the guest as they clame that they did had it ot it doesn't belong to them. And when such case happened, staff will be the one who have to responsible to paying the bill and of course that they are not happen. So, we try to solve the problem by clear cut the bill day by day.

Last, all of those mentioned earlier are not an excuse, I just need to clarify some of the points perceiving from our management style.

Also, I would like to say thank you for comment again and also thank you that once you had choose to stay with us