“Family holiday at Koh Phangan”

Salad Buri Resort & Spa
Ranked #36 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Malmo, Sweden
“Family holiday at Koh Phangan”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We had a great time at this hotel. The staff was very nice and did their best to serve us.
We had some problem with the lamps in our rooms ( they did not work ) but they fix it very fast
The breakfast was very nice with a lot of choises
The dinner we had one evening at the hotel was very good and from the restaurant you have a wonderful view over the sea
You can take a short walk from the hotel to enjoy a lovely massage on the beach listening to the sea.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MrsKraemer

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Taastrup, Denmark
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Both room and location is very great, service couldnt be better for my family.

We was supposed to check out today, but we had to go yesterday, since we was immidiately transfered to Koh Samui hospital unfurtunately.

When we had to transfer, everyone took care of us, so we could go as quick as possible, and truely we was out in less than 10 minutes.

I would like to thank they lady behind the disk, as she was really helpfull though our whole stay.

If we every come back to Koh Phangan, we will diffintly choose this resort again.

Because of the quick service, we arrived in time at the hospital, and everything is fine now!

Room Tip: Choose the private pool villa, really nice!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ditte B
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We left the a hotel two days early, even though we had per paid and there was no possibility of a refund. We left because it was so so bad. The bed was uncomfortable and it was impossible to get a good nights sleep. The bed was old hard and cheap. The air conditioner stops and starts every 15 minutes all night every night. We we told nothing could be done, as the electricity supply to the hotel often cuts out, and that is the cause. Every morning we both woke up with headaches, due to the stuffiness and noise from air conditioner. The windows open but as there are no fly screens, you can not sleep with them open. The pool was filthy. The beach was too shallow and rocky to swim in. The shower in the room was dirty. The wall paper was peeling off the walls,and the rooms were very very tired. Many of the rooms are located up the top of a big hill, 100's meters away from pool and main area. The food was so bad even the local beach stray dogs refused our left overs. We ordered a hamburger the meat inw which was a slice of something like poor grade Windsor sausage, full of fat and grizle. The hotel does not allow you to charge anything to the room, you must carry cash every where. You are locked into the hotel taxis, as the local taxis can not access the hotel. The hotel charges a ridiculous amount to take you to the closest of venues. We were charged 400 Baht to go the local shops 5 minutes away. We found a local driver who bought us back for 50 Baht. The hotel told us we must buy our ferry tickets from them. When we got to the very we realized we could have bought them for half the price. The place is run by what looks like a single family. It is a very unprofessional set up, and the focus seems to be all about bringing in as much money as possible. The pool lazy boys were falling apart, and badly in need of replacing. The umbrellas around the pool were mostly all broken. The place looks like it was once a very nice resort, but has had no money put into maintainence. There is a large pond that many of the rooms back onto. It stinks. The resort itself is at least 30 minutes unpleasant up and down bumpy ride on unsealed roads to the main township or port. There is nothing to do in the small local set of overpriced shops. We had to pay 1600 baht for a bottle of spirits. We bought a bottle of wine for 900 baht, worth $12 in Australia. When we opened it it was turned. If you come here bring your own food and wine , the chocolates and potato chips we paid ridiculously high prices for we all stale. We were sick for 2 days after eating the hotel food. The hotel provides bottled water that they sterilize themselves. It tastes so full of chemicals it is impossible to drink. When we arrived we found the last tourists had left 6 bottles of there water I drunk in the draw. We soon found out why they did not drink it. We commend going to another resort, with a nicer beach and closer to the main town. This place is a sham.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Marellalouise

Travelers are raving about these Ko Pha Ngan hotels

Australia
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Our stay at Salad Buri was for a total of 5 nights and while we enjoyed our stay overall there are many things this resort could do better.

Pro's:

Great location if you want a peacefull less lively part of Koh Phangan
Nice big clean Pool with lovely views
Rooms are clean and well presented
Premier room had great views
Salad Beach was lovely and peaceful
Free Wifi
Cleaning staff were really good
Seafood BBQ at salad buri was amazing

Con's:

If you have any mobility issues this is not the place to stay. The stairs to the rooms are steep and narrow. The Pool has poor access with no steps in between levels making it hard to get from level to level.
The biggest disappointment was the staff, generally uninterested and poorly trained. Some staff seemed to have no customer service skills at all. We saw several guest bring up issues with staff about there stay and rooms and we treated with total disregard and contempt.
The Pool towel system was frustrating as your towels were only changed if left in the room. Cleaning was done in the best part of the day to sit in the pool.

Overall we enjoyed the location and the beauty of the resort. The most frustrating thing about staying here was the missed opportunity for the hotel which has the potential to be an amazing resort but unfortunately falls short due to the staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We loved our stay at Salad Buri and Salad beach in Koh Phangan. The room was a very nice and large and the service from check in to check out was very friendly and honest. The beach side pool was pretty amazing to say the least and we spent many an afternoon enjoying it and the pool bar.

If there is anything to complain it could be maybe the pool towels could be refreshed - but it was such a minor thing and probably it it being contemplated already by the hotel.

We will come for sure.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lui Chin H
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed here for a few days detox after the half moon party. The resort was total paradise. Our few days here was the highlight of our holiday. The staff are so friendly and the resort itself is situated on the beach front but the pool over looks the beach. My friend was getting two massages daily. The rooms are situated on the cliff over looking the beach and the resort and there is a few movie channels available so it really is a great place to detox and relax after partying in haad rin.

Room Tip: Chose the hill top rooms as they have the best views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Reggie89
Hawaii
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My experience at Salad Buri covered mixed impressions. I booked the cheapest room "Standard Room" (20 sqm) for 4 nights but was not satisfied with it for several reasons. It was located in a bungalow with a bigger room directly beside. The door to my room was not a regular one (The doors of my room were 2 bi fold, glass doors...) and I could hear everything the guests staying beside were doing and talking about. I did not feel having privacy and there was also no balcony to sit outside. After the check in the employee who drove my to the room asked me if I am interested in "encounters" with local woman, and only 2 hours later I had 3 cleaning ladies coming into the room without any earlier announcement. After this unpleasant experiences I talked to a manager at the front desk and asked if I could upgrade to another room. Instead of having the room I originally booked for 4 nights (for 1500 baht a night) I asked for another room for 2 nights (for 3200 baht a night) and that I would like to pay 400 bath more for the difference. He said it's not possible because of their policy and agreement they have with booking.com. Therefore I called them and they told me that this is not true and that it could be changed anytime as long the minimum amount I agreed to pay would be covered. When I got the motorbike and when I returned it the same manager told me just to go outside (but there was no one) or to wait for 2 minutes (without anyone coming for more than 15 minutes). I did not feel from him the flexibility or hospitality I usually experience in other 4 star hotels. After 3 days I could change my room and I got an incredible good value for the room "Private Pool Villa" (77 sqm) I finally stayed for another 2 nights. It was only twice as expensive as the room before, but offered me 4 times more space. I had a lot of privacy, a lot of space, an amazing view and a very nice little private outdoor pool. I actually could stand in the pool and work from there on my computer which was a great experience. Their big pool located directly at the beach was clean and big and the hotel is located in a beautiful, calm, clean and safe area. In general the employees were very friendly and tried everything to make my stay comfortable and convenient. I really love dogs and also could share very nice times with very loving dogs which are also present in this area. The hotel is located only about 3 miles from an amazing Yoga Center (Agama Yoga) nearby and this was one of the main reasons why I decided to stay at Salad Buri. The hotel is also located directly at a gorgeous bay with white sand (but you actually can't swim there during the summer months because the water is to shallow). All in all I would stay again at Salad Beach. I can recommend Salad Buri, but only if you stay in one of the better rooms. You can find better deals for smaller rooms at other places.

Room Tip: Don't get the standard room, but the private pool bungalow offers great value.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo