“WORST PLACE I HAVE EVER STAYED! Just don't stay here.”

Haad Yao Over Bay Resort
Waterford, Ireland
“WORST PLACE I HAVE EVER STAYED! Just don't stay here.”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We booked through Bangkok so were hoping from the previous reviews on trip advisor it would be good. We just wanted something basic and clean. First of all the view is amazing but you can go to much nicer resorts that are cheap! Filthy dirty! No one cleaned the room before, during or after! No changing of towels or toilet roll! No air con! Cockraches! No hot water! Holes in the bathroom walls as ventilation or something but not very bug proof! Did not sleep easy here. Extra hidden charges for transfers! I agree with previous review, the staff are very controlling and the owner was constantly picking his nose. We got breakfast and I couldn't eat a thing as the cup wasn't even washed it so grubby! They want to make as much money from you as possible for a service that is no way near comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank leanne r

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Turkish first
berlin
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Hello! We booked this Resort via an agency in Bangkok, so we did not know what to expect there. My first impression was: Yeah, nice view and nice bungalows (but a little bit dirty). But after one day I recognized that this is no place for me to feel comfortable. Two of the staff men were really strange. They wanted us always to eat or drink in their own restaurant and when our travel group wanted to go out for dinner or for a trip they always asked: "Where do you go? Where do you go?" I felt very controlled.
All the time while we stayed there nobody cleaned our rooms, refreshed toilet paper or emptyed the bins or did even care about the situation of the whole ressort.
Furthermore we made a bad experience with a scooter rental. Suprisingly, one of the hostel employees knew the renter and of course he took his side.
All in all the ressort looks really nice and is located in a beautiful and quite calm bay. Sadly the staff does not seem to work in this ressort with heart what makes it a bit strange and uncomfortable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank Cora3001
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2012

This is the best place I stayed in the whole of Thailand by far! The bungalows have amazing views and it's so cheap! The rooms are clean and even have hammocks! The pool is lovely which over looks the sea. Food in the restaurant is good and cheap prices. Staying here you get the best of both worlds as you can go and party 20 minutes down the road but you can also relax here as it's quiet. The beaches around this area are lovely and not packed like the one in haad rin. I also felt a lot safer staying here when around the full moon party.

The staff here are amazing they treat you like you are family and can't do enough for you! Unfortunately I fell off a motorbike during my trip here and the family cleaned my knees and changed my dressings everyday I was here. They are so lovely and the nicest Thai people I have ever met! Definitely going back there next year!

The only downside I would say was all the steps but hey it's worth it when you see the view!!!
You see more of koh phangan here and understand koh phangan isn't just all the parties theres more to it!

AMAZING!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This resort has the most amazing views from the pool!

The bungalow accommodation is built into the cliff, this give amazing views and an awesome cardio workout on a daily basis - don't stay here if you have difficulty walking or a low fitness level!

We stayed in a 3 bed ac bungalow and it was lovely, the only problem was that there was no storage so you have to live out of your bag, however the ac worked a treat, there was a fridge in the room and a hammock on the balcony - superb!

The restaurant was a lovely environment, tiny little tables and comfy seating - however a little on the pricey side and we had much nicer food at a restaurant on the beach. If you don't want to be pestered by the hotel staff avoid being in the bar / restaurant late on in the evening - all the staff like a "smoke" and will try to get you to join them, I'm sure some people love this but it gets annoying very quickly - the main reason I haven't given the resort a 5.

2 minutes walk from a picture perfect beach, shops and travel agent. 200baht cab ride to the night life but ideal if you are looking for a relaxing holiday rather than party central.

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for top of the hill with AC - worth the workout.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2012

This gueshouse place is SO lovely, all the bungalows are built into the cliff which gives you the most amazing view of the beach and the west coast of the island.
The rooms, we had quite a basic one I think, we large and very clean, with good lighting and really nice shower. The pool is brilliant too, a perfect temperature and a really social place.
The restaurant area was our favourite place, so comfy and a lovely atmosphere for meeting and drinking and eating, and the food was priced well for the area and was really nice! (although don't order a hamburger as it literally was a slice of ham in a burger ha)
Overall we had a lovely 4 nights and we staying around Full Moon time, staff were really helpful and friendly. LOVELYY

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Shrewsbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We got jumped on when getting off the boat from Kratie by one of the hotel staff who turned out to be the manager and decided just to go as it was pretty cheap. We go there and were shown our room which was at the very top of a near vertical hill! but the view of the sea and the surrounding hills was stunning and saved us going to the gym!
We ate at the hotel most nights as there are not many places near by but the food was good and cheap, one night was a free barbecue as it was a staff members birthday.
The manager was ok to begin with but got a little bit creepy, he took a shine to me and decided to sit with us every night and tried to persuade us to book everything with him and got a bit grumpy if we didn't. So decided to go and eat somewhere else that we found for the last few nights.
Loved it in Haad Yao though, the rooms and price were nothing to be argued about as were brilliant just make sure the manager doesn't take a shine to you!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I stayed here for a night in march 2012 in a lovely air on room with a big balcony high up in the hills! We paid 700baht for the night and was just 2 days before fullmoon! The resort is verrrrry steep but well worth it!!! It has a lovely pool with great views and has a really cute restaurant with low tables and thai syle cushion seating!!! Had 2 meals here, fried rice with fried egg on top which was Yummy, and a vegetable red curry which was extremely spicy! I love spicy food and have loved a lot of Thai curries but I couldn't handle this one!!! My cousin had a green curry and was really spicy too but he enjoyed his!!!
Haad Yao beach is STUNNING and only 2 mins walk!!! We checked a lot of places on the beach front and were all 1200 -1500 for the same standard of room!!!
I wouldn't recommend children staying here as the paths are steep, also wouldn't be ideal if you want to party as taxi fare is 200baht per person one way to haad rin!!
Perfect for a quiet chilled out time in koh phangan!! :-)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends