“Great Views, Great Service, Great Time....”
Review of Sunset Hill Resort

Sunset Hill Resort
Ranked #15 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
London, United Kingdom
“Great Views, Great Service, Great Time....”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

We stayed here for 10 nights at the end of January/early February and were hugely satisfied with our choice. I spent a long time looking for accomodation for my holiday, and am certain we could not have found a place that was as good as this in terms of value for money.

Whilst being off the beach, and up a big hill, the whole point of this resort is enjoying the stunning views from across the resort of the sea and the An Thong Marine Park. The sunsets are the best i have seen in Thailand. It is dissapointing to read a few of the negative reviews, as everything about our stay was positive. The friendly service from Adam and his team was a welcome difference to a lot of the sulking, rude service you get in the a lot of resorts in Thailand. In particular we were extremley grateful at being able to switch to a better seaview room for our last 6 nights. If staying in a couple i would strongly reccomend the studio room in the Rose building, the views from the balcony are incredible.

My tip for anyone staying here is to rent a scooter (200 baht per day) and explore the island, if you are not the scooter type, and would prefer two weeks on a beach, then possibly this resort is not for you, nonetheless the pool (that is never busy) has incredible views and should satisfy people wanting peace & quiet.

If we had stayed on one of the beach resorts we probably would not have hired the scooter, which hugely restricts your ability to explore all the different places in Koh Phangnan. There are plenty of beaches and restaurants a 5 minute scooter ride away, and with Adam's advice we visited a number of different restaurants that otherwise without the scooter we would never have come across. The fisherman's restaurant in Baan Tai was a particular favourite.

Overall, a great trip and gutted to have not been able to stay for longer, would definitely reccomend to friends and family.

Thanks !

Room Tip: Studio Rooms in main building that have complete sea view.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Miles G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 5, 2012

A couple of months ago, my friends and I choose Sunset Hill Resort as a place to stay during the November Full Moon. We booked a 3 bedroom apartment with rooftop Jacuzzi. The view was just as amazing as the rooms. Good beds, large outside terrace and the view from the Jacuzzi roof terrace is indescribable. Even better was the service. Thanks to Adam (I think the GM), his girlfriend Gig and the Dutch couple A&A who all seem to be working 24 hours a day. The relaxed atmosphere makes you feel at home right away and they will always make time or a chat or to advice you on where to go en how to get there.

Thanks guys for giving us such a good time... we'll spread the word!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 31, 2012

We stayed here towards the end of our travelling around Thailand, we decided to stay somewhere more upmarket and away from the madness of the main area. The resort ittself is amazing. Very peaceful and laid back atmosphere. Granted it is a little awkward to get to unless you RELLY like walking..a lot !! We hired a Jeep for two days which totalled €50 plus fuel. You could go for a moped but we needed to get home in one piece.

Expect to pay approx THB200/person for a taxi from Sunset resort to the main areas.

Beauitiful resort, great english speaking staff and good food.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Garden View rooms, they were perfect for us. After seeing the view from the sea vie...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank OReilly26
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 30, 2012

A group of six of us stayed here over New Years (Jan 2012) and couldn't have been more disappointed.

Where do I start with what went wrong:

1) The website is really far from the truth. First of all, you are overlooking an unfinished building and 4 telephone towers! Secondly, while they claimed that we were getting 3 separate rooms and a kitchen, it was really a studio room that connected to the adjoining room. Not at all what we expected.

2) One of our toilets wouldn't flush! Imagine not being able to take a dump or being stuck with a floater for hours. When we complained, they said that their sewer system was backed up. Is that really acceptable?

3) The hot tub on the roof looked like it had water from the pre-historic age: green and murky! They sent over people to "fix" it for the first two days we were there, nothing was fixed.

4) The location is at the top of a steep hill which is approx 400m from the main road. The taxis would not come up the hill, so no matter what time of day and how tired you are, you are going to walk up that hill. This got tiring quickly.

5) What Wi-Fi? They claim Wi-Fi throughout the hotel. The reality was that the signal was extremely weak. Even when we connected to the Wi-Fi, we couldn't get onto the internet, because their router ran out of IP addresses. I had to explain this to the hotel managers when I left.

BOTTOM LINE: this is not a resort, their service is terrible, and their rooms are way-overpriced.

Stay in a bungalow on Had Salad, Had Mae Had, or Chaloklum. You will be on the crystal-clear green water and have a much better time.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Bobby-SF
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed January 12, 2012

In terms of location, this place was extremely inconvenient. Given that the only modes of transport was taxi or a pick up truck this meant we paid a hefty amount on transport alone. In addition, given that the location was isolated it meant we relied on the resort's food - which was not up to standard (service and taste wise) given the prices they charged. We also came across problems with the resort's facilities - firstly, the hot water did not work for TWO DAYS, in which was not rectified for the entire stay. Secondly, the air conditioning had a major leak. Thirdly, there is a "in-room" option - however there is no telephone in the room (meaning you have to physically go downstairs to make an "in-room" order.

However, the only upside was that the staff at the resort were extremely friendly - although not particularly organised - there was no sense of communication when we enquired about certain things and no one got back to us.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank wendy x
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Visited here in October for the full moon party, promised I'd write a review but just home from travelling so havent had too much time to sit down on the laptop! I have nothing bad to say about this place, nothing at all. The rooms were fantastic with a view that makes you just want to sit on your balcony all day. The food is good, drinks are good, staff are fantastic location is good as long as u rent a moped! We didnt want to stay down at Haad Rin so this was the perfect place to get away. The beds were so comfortable, if you've been around Asia you will get a shock when you see its not a pile of bricks covered with a sheet haha - your back will thank you!

We have already recommended this place to every person we've met going to Thailand and out of 14 months travelling this was by far our favourite hotel :)

I hope that lovely dutch couple are still working there - They are fantastic!

Room Tip: Anything with a view!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kg703
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Having invested quite a long time researching for a beautiful and relaxing resort I finally decided for the Sunset Hill Resort. I booked however only for 3 days, as quite often pictures can be misleading and I thought I could maybe find a cheap and nice resort once I am on the island. After staying 3 nights at Sunset Hill I was so happy that I stayed another week. While being on the island I also checked out some other resorts, which confirmed me that I made the best choice with Sunset Hill. The rooms are one of the most modern ones I have seen during my travels through South-East Asia. The view is amazing and makes you relax immediately. The staff made me feel welcome from the first minute I arrived. They were extremely helpful and friendly. I really enjoyed my stay and can honestly say that I doubt anybody would regret their stay at the Sunset Hill.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo