we arrived at coconut beach after two taxis, and 300baht/person later. The road was partially washed out, and the bridge had colapsed. It was quite the 5 1/2 hour journey from lamai, on samui.
The bungalows were basic accommodation. The toilets are not flush, which is okay, except for the "smell" you sometimes get around the resort or at the restaurant when someone is washing things down.
The restaurant has decent food at an okay price, not too much more than you'd pay in town. Don't bother with the western food, stick to the thai, it's much better.
The downfalls: 1. Expensive to get there and around. If you want to leave the resort you need to rent a scooter. 200baht/day decent price, but taxis cost a bit.
2. Electricity only on from 2pm-2am. Not usually a problem, but when it's really hot it would be nice to have a fan available during peak hours.
3. The kitchen is closed a few hours a day, and you are not supposed to eat at the other resorts. There is a sign in the bungalows that you are expected to eat there. Could get the boot if you don't respect that.
4. English is not widely spoken. Many many misunderstandings. And we speak a little Thai. The owners do not understand English very well, and don't seem too keen on understanding.
5. Family business, near fist fight broke out with family members yelling and shoving 2 feet away from our dinner table. They didn't seem to care that we were eating.
6. They are a bit tight with the money. Don't forget to remind them that they are over charging you for taxi fare, or to get your key deposit back. They will not volunteer this.
The upside: beautiful beach, excellent snorkelling, away from the tourist trap.
- Also Known As:
- Coconut Beach Bungalows Hotel Koh Phangan