“A vacation that will never be forgotten!”

Shiralea Backpackers Resort
Toronto, Canada
“A vacation that will never be forgotten!”
Reviewed January 12, 2011

My review of Shiralea will not do it justice, you must go to experience it yourself! My first trip to Shiralea was to attend the infamous Full Moon Party and after traveling the rest of the Thai islands, Laos, Cambodia and the Philippines I was back at Shiralea for a month because nothing compared to the hospitality and 'home away from home' atmosphere. I will always recommend Shiralea to fellow travelers as my 2nd home and cant wait to go back in May!

The resort is set in a coconut grove which provides the perfect amount of sun, shade and protection when running to your room in the rain. The rooms are a good size with 2 double beds, large bathroom and either air con or fan. When I was there `Bamboo Village` their 10 new bungalows were under construction, but from what I saw they are the most luxurious backpacker rooms I have seen throughout my travels. The pool is perfect for doing lengths or just lounging around. With raised sections for the baby pool and jacuzzi you are bound to get that perfect tan youve been working on!

The staff at Shiralea are fantastic and are always on their toes making sure that your stay is enjoyable and that you feel like a part of their family. Lay and Ohm's cooking is not to be missed, a generous mix of Thai and Western food to please everyones pallets! We ate at the restaurant pretty much every day..no need to go elsewhere (although there are other places along Haad Yao beach which you cannot miss out on..Eagle Bar for example)

I had the pleasure of being there while the new cocktail menu was being developed and the drinks cannot go without mention. Richie`s version of a Long Island Iced Tea is the perfect way to get the night started. But beware of the Lady Boy Bucket as it creeps up on you..fast! The lounge area is perfect for relaxing, watching endless re-runs of your favourite tv shows or watching a movie when its raining and you cant go to the beach.

Haad Yao beach is a 2min walk and is absolutely stunning. Thailand is known for its beaches and Haad Yao definitely does not disappoint, some of my best days were spent on the beach.

Whilst at the resort I completed half of my Open Water dive course (due to an injury) with Reefers Dive Resort - which is Koh Phangan`s first fully inclusive 5 star dive resort!! Vic and the staff are absolutely amazing, I cant wait to go back in May to finish my Open Water and my Advanced!

Uncle Mike and Richie`s dedication to the resort is endless. Just ask and you shall receive - Whether it is a recommendation for something to do on the island, an impromptu birthday party, a trip to the pharmacy/hospital, flouro paint and taxi rides to the full and half moon parties they are always there to help! I hope you guys get your turtles for your water feature :) Make sure you ask Uncle Mike or the bar to set up a massage while your there - Thai or traditional oil massage you will not be disappointed!!

In conclusion I cannot say more than enough about Shiralea, I was not disappointed and neither will you. The staff are more than helpful and you are bound to meet plenty of travelers alike looking to have a good time. Just head up to the bar and ring the 'infamous bell' your bound to have a good night! If your looking for a home away from home you will find it at Shiralea!

A big thanks to Richie for making my stay in Thailand the most memorable one yet!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank HeatherEliseK

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Dont have words to explain this place....situated in a awesome location, 2 minutes from shops and a cool chilled beach. The actual backpackers is the best backpackers i have stayed in in Asia we had a room with 2 double beds a balcony with a hammock and a spacious bathroom. The pool was the place we hang out most of the time when it was sunny, when it rained the crew threw on movies for us to watch. We were there for a half moon party which was awesome the boys that work there Ritchie and Baden organised glow in the dark paint and got us pumped for the party and gave us useful tips so we were prepapred. The Highlight was New years eve on hadrin beach..beast ever.. One of the best things about the whole place was the food, i love my thai food and ate nearly everything on the menu......Joy the barmens fruit shakes are the hangover cures but beware of the ladyboy cocktail bucket it tastes good but catches up with you...hahah .....i am definitely coming back with more of my friends in the future...had a blast thanks Shiralea staff you made me and my friends feel welcome....you are legends....

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Washington, DC
Reviewed January 2, 2011

I stayed at Shiralea for three nights and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap accommodation a few steps from the beach with a great atmosphere. Staff is very friendly and welcoming; food at the rest/bar is expansive (Thai, Western, breakfast) and excellent; you're just a 2-minute walk from beautiful Haad Yao beach; nice pool to relax next to. I stayed in one of the budget rooms (500 baht/night) and it was well good enough: clean, comfortable bed, safe in the room and huge bathroom. I went there during one of the full moon parties in Haad Rin and they arranged a taxi for all the hotel guests to go together - had a great time and made new friends along the way.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
UK
Reviewed January 1, 2011

Staying at Shiralea made my stay at Ko Pha-ngan. The resort is in a beautiful setting within a couple of minutes walk from a stunning beach. The rooms are clean and spacious and complete with a balcony and hammock. The staff are friendly and very helpful. Ohm and Lay's cooking is not to be missed. There are some nice restaurants along the beach but the food was so good at Shiralea that I ended up eating at the restaurant there most days.
If you're looking for a peaceful and relaxed holiday then Shiralea is definitely the place to go. At the same time, if you want to go to the Full Moon party/ Half Moon parties then it is easy to get a taxi there for a very reasonable price. We also did elephant trekking, snorkelling, waterfall trekking and a number of other activities, which are all easily accessible from Shiralea.
Thank you very much to all the guys at Shiralea for such a wonderful time. I hope to return to Thailand again someday and I'll be making Shiralea my number one place to stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank LauraC88
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2010

We initially arrived at Shiralea for 10 days following a friends recommendation that I had met whilst travelling. We had soon extended the stay for a month and after leaving for the West Coast of Thailand, I soon returned and spent a further week at the resort. The easiest and only way of describing Shiralea is like 'A home away from home'.

The staff that work at Shiralea are absolutely fantastic and ensure you feel like part of the Shiralea family. On my birthday, they decorated the bar and ensured I had a fantastic evening. This was certainly aided by one of Richie's home made melon cocktails and Uncle Mike dressing up in his famous outfit. As someone has previously written in one of their reviews, the only thing wrong with Shiralea is having to leave.

The rooms are a good size, with two double beds, large bathroom, either air con or fan and the must have safe that you need when travelling. The resort itself is set in a coconut grove, therefore you have towering trees all over the resort. If you are lucky enough, you will be there when the monkey's come to remove the coconuts from the trees. The pool is fantastic, 3m deep, with both a baby pool section and a jacuzzi. Both perfect for lying back on when the heat is too much to take. They are in the process of opening up 10 new bungalows look amazing, somewhere I would happily stay when I return. If you are more of a beach person, Haad Yao is 2 mins walk away and is absolutely beautiful.

The bar and restaurant have an excellent selection of drinks and food, with a Western selection to choose from if you are missing home. Ohm and Lay's cooking can not go without mention. It was so good, I rarely ate elsewhere. There is also a chillout area where you can lie on hammocks or thai mattresses, read, watch the TV or one of the many DVDs they have available.

Whilst I stayed at the resort, I also completed my Open Water and Advanced Diving with Reefers, who can also be found at Shiralea. They are absolutely fantastic and now I am really looking forward to my dives in Australia. You can also get a fantastic massage whilst you are staying at the resort. Just ask at the bar and they will set this up for you. It is definitely a treat worth having.

I really could not fault Shiralea and all of their wonderful staff. They are beyond helpful and ensure you have everything you need and want during your time at the resort. I recommended Shiralea to people I have met travelling and they have shared the same feelings and experiences. If you are ever in need of anything, just ask and whether it is a lift to the local pharmacy/hospital or just for a friendly chat, you will be sure to walk away happy.

If you are looking for a little bit of heaven in Thailand, just go to Shiralea. Thank you guys for an amazing time.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sara L
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 29, 2010

This place has it all; great kitchen and menu, entertainment, bar, pool. You really don't have to leave the resort at all. Richie and the staff will sort out whatever you need at any time.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2010

Shiralea is just fantastic! Where do i start...? Recommended by Matt at the Dragon Fly Bar, (which is also a must place to go have a drink) in the middle of a monsoon, we couldnt have struck gold anywhere else!

Great location just a few minutes from the beach. The rooms are large and clean, offering both fan or air con, all with a hot shower, private balcony and a hammock. Upon arrival my hammock was broken but was instantly replaced with a brand new one! The grounds are well keep and spacious. Great pool, spent many and hour, morning, noon and night larking around.

The food was fantastic, cant fault it, would recommend the pad thai, chicken satay, no name balls, the Shiralea burger, the list goes on....try as much of the food as you can!! In fact the food was so good i even asked for a recipe for one of the dishes which i was given without question and which I have already made since being home!

Yes there was a little bit of construction work going on but this didnt impact our holiday in the slightest, the workers were clean and courteous and not once did any noise grab my attention.

There are a few dogs around, but they are all clean and very friendly. (as are pretty much all the dogs on the island). One often slept on my friends balcony but was more than happy to move on if you didnt want her there. The dogs know their boundaries and are a pleasure to have around.

The best bit about Shiralea are the people. Friendly, helpful, funny, they really make you feel safe and part of their lives whilst you are there. The owner Rich, even cracked open a bottle of vietnamese red wine that he had been given by a friend, for us to share and he joined us at the bar drinking and having a laugh.

I cant find enough good words to say about this place, i just didnt want to leave and will without a doubt go back to Shiralea if I ever go back to Thailand. Fantastic, just bloody brilliant....oh and you can make your tea and coffee in the morning just how you like it.......genius!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends