“A really cool place to stay. Will deffinately come back!”

Shiralea Backpackers Resort
Thailand
“A really cool place to stay. Will deffinately come back!”
Reviewed November 5, 2010

I was staying at another resort on Haad Yao when a friend first took me to Shiralea for a party. I moved straight away to Shiralea and loved it!

The bungalows are great. They have two huge beds, big clean bathrooms with hot shower, private balcany with hammok :-) They are nicely decorated and very bug-proof! I stayed in a fan room (allthough I think air-con is also available) but the room was nice and cool inside anyway. The bungalows are set in gardens and coconut groves which makes them feel very private. Much better rooms than the equivelent resorts in the area. And very good value for money.

The main area of the resort has a great chill-out area which is very comfortable with hammoks, daybeds, TV and book swap. The bar/restaraunt is excellent. The food was much nicer (and cheaper) than the food available at other places on the beach. I deffinately recommend the breakfast!!!

Allthough I was on my own, I was made to feel very welcome by the staff and other guests. There was a really great atmosphere, and I felt asthough I left there having made some friends.

I will deffinately stay at Shiralea anytime I come back to Koh Phangan.

Oh, and the pool is lovely!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed November 1, 2010

After a long trip my boyfriend and I arrived from Bangkok and we chose this resort because of the good reputation from this webside. We arrived in a noisy resort under construction. We were thinking about to stay for 2 or 3 weeks before we arrived, but we checked out after 4 days, because the service was horrible. I had to ask 3 times for house keeping, luckily on the 3rd day they took the garbage away and cleaned the room, but fresh towels were not available. The staff took clothes from the bed away and I had to ask many times to get it back. I wanted to ckeck the bill before paying, than the (local) staff got very rough and unfriendly. The saison hadnt started yet, it seemed like, that they dont want to have guest. We both felt the whole time like that we annoy the staff with staying in their resort.
The bungalows are clean, but every bungalow has two full-size beds, doesn´t matter if you need two beds or not, so there is not much space for your lugagge. The food was ok, but because of the atmosphere (guests are not welcome) at the bar we always ate in other restaurants. The resort has many dogs who dont let you enter easily at night, I had to run to the bungalow with 3 dogs running after me - very scaring!

All in all a surprisingly bad experience.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank janischmidt
ShiraleaThailand, Owner at Shiralea Backpackers Resort, responded to this review, November 16, 2010
Thank you very much for your review, and we’re sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations.

It is true that we are expanding the resort at present, and we have tried to minimise the impact of this on our guests by scheduling the work in low season, and offering reduced rates for guests at the same time. We’ve also been posting regular photo updates of the build progress on our facebook fan page, in the interests of transparency. The work is now complete, and the new double/twin rooms will be in service from mid-December.

We try very hard to satisfy all our guest needs, and feel we offer very good facilities and service levels for an establishment in the specialty lodging category, and which isn’t a hotel. Shiralea try to offer great value and friendly service, over and above what you would typically expect at the rate we charge, and particularly in comparison to what is offered at the same price point (or higher) by our competitors.

We feel that these efforts are borne out by the majority of the comments we receive both on this site and on others, and verbally.

In your particular instance, we did our best to satisfy all the requests you had, but some things such as the monsoon conditions delaying drying times for laundry are outside of our control! We nevertheless respect and value your feedback, and the fact that you took the time to tell us what you think. We have forwarded your comments to our manager on site so that we can take appropriate actions for some of the things you mention. For example, we have already expanded our towel stock so that we have more contingency in extremes of weather, and as part of our ongoing improvements, we will be adding extra storage space to our existing rooms.

Thanks again for your review, and indeed for choosing to stay with us in the first place, and happy travels in the future.

Best regards

The Shiralea Owners
Nottingham
Reviewed October 18, 2010

We arrived after staying at Ko Tao which we found to be full of tourists on scooters. After that this place was a blessing. Beautiful gardens to stay in, a stones throw from the beach, great bungalow, a really nice pool, good food on the menu (The Shiralea Burger is lovely), book exchange, DVD's to watch.....we though we were in heaven. I cannot rate this place highly enough. We had a great time and seriously considered cancelling our onward travel to stay a little bit longer.

Also worth mentioning is the great little family run restaurant up the hill from the resort on the left hand side, just before the main road. We don't think it has a name, but the food is excellent, fresh and cheap.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
UK Southampton
Reviewed October 7, 2010

What can I say, I had an amazing time, the resort is excellent, people were really friendly and couldn't do enough for you. On top of that its cheap as chips to stay there so I could spend more of my money on enjoying myself! 10 out of 10.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Surat Thani, Thailand
Reviewed October 4, 2010

I have stayed at Shiralea Backpacker's Resort several times, so thought it was about time I wrote a review for the place!

I truely believe that this is the best place to stay on the island. Not only is it on one of the nicest beaches, but the atmosphere in the resort is seccond to none. The rooms are clean, modern, cool and spacious with great hot showers and very comfortable beds. The food is the best in the area and very good value for money.

All the staff are happy to help and very friendly. There is a great 'family' atmosphere and I have always felt extremely welcome.

I have stayed in many places on the island and this is by far my favourite. A great place to stay :-)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family