“Fabulous on many different levels”

Shiralea Backpackers Resort
Reviewed March 17, 2012

ok...where do I start, when I read the reviews and looked at the photos I had a good vibe..., I was right. The moment we arrived we were made to feel sooooo welcome, especially after all of the travelling. Let me point out the we are a family with an 11 year old daughter. As everybody else has mentioned we were made to feel like part of the family. Emma, Richie,Seb and Joy all made our experience that little bit more special, and when we would go and visit other places....well we felt like were coming home. There were families, young people traveling solo, older couples, groups traveling...So if you wanted to be mellow and read and be alone, no problem...If you wanted to meet other people, great. Richie and Emma are full of advice and information, and they really cared. Also they do a tab system, like back in the day, which makes life a lot easier if you are all doing different things at different times and want to have a drink,eat,etc.....There is no doubt that we will be going back, and I am already mourning the fact that I am not there now. I have no doubt that if we had not gone to Shiralea our holiday would not have been so wonderful....oh and the friends we made....a thousand thankyous

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank BooBoo J

Reviewed March 9, 2012

We liked Shiralea quite a lot when we've been there and after travelling around in Thailand for more than three month, it's still one of the best locations that I've seen. The bungalows are surrounded by jungle and palm trees, but offer all necessary comfort, big and warm shower, even a safe. A big swimming pool inviting for a refreshing jump in the morning is there, and it's also just about 100 meters to the beach. Nevertheless, if you expect the usual beach party trouble, dunkards all around, it might be not the best choice for you.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Shiralea is my home away from home - ain't no lie. I fell in love with people and the place...hands down. In my 6 and a half weeks of traveling Thailand and Cambodia, as well as traveling in other countries, this place has a special vibe that you don't come across often. No matter what you are looking for they have it or can find it for you. Whether you are a solo traveler, a couple, a family, younger, older, want to chill or party (and the guests ranged just like that...) - Shiralea can and will accommodate. They make you feel welcome, comfortable and at home. I was initially only to stay three days and like many others...extended and extended. Ahhhhh sticky beach....I left for a week and actually changed the rest of my trip to finish my last 11 days with Shiralea and Reefers Dive Shop. Their facilities are great - they have three different types of bungalows (to accommodate different tastes and price ranges - fan, mid-range aircon and their 9 BRAND new aircon) I mixed it up a bit and stayed in a few different ones during my time - all solid. They have a wicked bar to mix up cocktails, lassis, or anything else your heart desires - Joy's bar (Joy and V are fantastic!!!) and tasty restaurant with a mix of Thai and comfort food (props to the kitchen ladies!). They have a 3 m pool with a pool bar - a games room and theater (with a new 3D TV) area if you need a movie fix. They have on-site massage and spa services for really reasonable prices - and the ladies give a wicked massage! (Highly recommended...daily ;) ) If you scuba dive - or want to try - there is a first class five star PADI shop attached - which I HIGHLY recommend as well. One of the best beaches, Haad Yao, on the island is two minute walk; there are restaurants all along the beach if you want to explore. If you want to hit any of the parties or a Muay Thai match (also recommended - checked one out my first night that Shiralea organized) - or check out the rest of the island, Richie, Emma, Joy and Seb can get you where you want to go and what you need. It's also pretty easy to rent motorbikes - if you dAre.... :)
They are a very special group of people who run this place and you can feel it the minute you step on the grounds. The people I met there - staff and guest alike - I now consider good friends that I will keep in my life for a long time. I am already planning my next trip....(say June?!?) You guys are one of a kind and I am grateful to have met you all! Thank you for everything and....SEE YOU SOON!! Much love, Kristina sabai sabai

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Kris P
EmmaFulton, Guest Relations Manager at Shiralea Backpackers Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2012

Yes!!!! June!!! That Will fly by and you will be here in no time! thanks for your review, we all send our love and cannot wait for your return it's going to be amazing! Your a very special lady and we all loved having you here and you are more than welcome any time to come back to your new home in Haad Yao! I will be on a scooter by then, I am daring to finally get one haha!
Aroha Nui xx em
Much love from the whole Shiralea family

Reviewed March 7, 2012

Shiralea absolutely made our stay on koh phanang , such a relaxed atmosphere , great food and drink , clean and in a perfect location , shiralea was nice and quiet just minutes walk to the beach , would recommend it to anyone , don't even look anywhere else on kho phanang , thanks Richie , can't wait to come back

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Staff are extremely friendly, atmosphere is very relaxed. We had booked in for 3 nights straight, but they were kind enough to refund one of our nights in between after we had decided to go on an overnight excursion with the local diving company.

Location is a five minute walk to the beach, the bungalows definitely have sufficient space for two people, we had a non-aircon twin room for an amazing price compared to the rest of the island.

I had also lost my wallet at Shiralea, but only realized it days after we left. Richie was so awesome to post it to our guesthouse in Bangkok, which is exceptional customer service!

Thank you for an awesome stay! I would highly recommend Shiralea Backpackers Resort!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
ShiraleaResort, Owner at Shiralea Backpackers Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2012

Thank you very much for the kind review Mark and Lori. We are all very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and also the overnight trip to the Ang Thong Marine Park with Reefers. We are happyt to here that you received your package and can continue ahead on your travels with them. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us not only as guests but you are now part of our ever growing Shiralea family. Have a safe and memorable journey, wishing you all the best from us all here at Shiralea.

Reviewed March 1, 2012

Like everyone else i decided to extend my stay not only once but twice, Staying in total for nearly 3weeks. Its an amazing place with amazing people, and you can't help but feel at home with its relaxed way of living. If you are lucky enough to stay here you will have the pleasure of meeting Emma, Richie & Sebastian, The kindest and funniest people i have ever met. And not forgetting JOY! The best bartender in Thailand!! Who all together made my stay Phenomenal.

Shiralea is not just a resort, Its a family and i cant wait to return!!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank SophiaSpanglish
EmmaFulton, Guest Relations Manager at Shiralea Backpackers Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2012

We miss you!! We are all so glad you came to stay with us here at Shiralea! So many good memories! We can't wait to see you soon! You are FOREVER a part of our shiralea family! Everyone sends their love and say hi to Mama Seb when you catch up in London! Love you long time!

Reviewed February 24, 2012

* Great vibes from western staff, mostly back/flashpackers as clientele
* Nice clean landscaping without overdoing it
* Great, clean pool: 3m depth means adults have fun in it as well
* Quiet surrounding
* Only short stroll from beach
* Tasty food
* TVs stay off most of the time

But:
* Weirdly cool vibes from Thai staff?
* WiFi often slow, mostly spotty

Room Tip: If you're torn between the two AC room types, get one of the new bungalows - well worth the 200b...