“Excellent hotel in a beautiful beach”

Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas
Ranked #4 of 89 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
“Excellent hotel in a beautiful beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

I had a garden villa at the Anantara, which was large and comfortable. The room is well equipped with apple tv, some spirits and a lovely plunge pool.
The spa is excellent, beautiful and the massages are great ( I lived in Thailand so I tried a lot of spas). Ths one is one of the best spa I have ever been to.
The beach is beautiful, and nearly private. The biggest part of the beach is dedicated to the hotel sunbeds, the white sand is gorgeous. No beach vendors to bother you every five minutes in order to sell you ice creams, sarongs, carved pieces of wood, fake buddhas etc.

But above everything, it is the service that is brilliant in this hotel. I was a difficult customer, requesting particular attention due to a broken elbow ( did not happen whilst I staid at the resort by the way), and all staff welcomed me as a family member or as if I was a celebrity. Fabulous. I had a tough time considering the pain and wearing an heavy and disgraceful cast, but all the staff took a great care of me, with a lot of care and warmth and made my stay enjoyable.

I could not thank all the staff enough, and also congratulate them all for their professionalism. Additionnally, their english is good, which is quite unusual in Thailand.
A particular thank you to the front desk manager and her team, and khun Tua in the restaurant (I hope I got the name right), as well to the house keeping team and their manager. All excellent.

The hotel is very well managed, with the GM always around, looking also after the customers. Any issue is fixed quickly ( i ad trouble with air con in my room late in the night and they sent straight the engineers at 11pm to fix the problem).

The breakfast is also good, although i wished they had waffles or crepes available ( but this is picky)

The resort is next to a small village with few restaurants and shops.

Overall, a very nice stay. I will definitely be back.

I also recommend the speed boat transfer, this saves significant time as it takes only 30 min and is much nicer than a painful ride in bumpy roads in the jungle.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank nathb001
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you very much for reviewing us on Trip Advisor and we hope your elbow is better. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we are especially happy to read that you thought our service is brilliant.

We hope we will have another chance to welcome you back to our little island paradise.

Patrick Both

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

This a very pleasant and good quality hotel situated on a lovely beach. It has very comfortable, well equipped rooms with good space, effective AC and good size plunge pools. The staff are very good, particularly the breakfast team.

A few observations: the transfer via speedboat to hotel is rather expensive and seems to often involve wading in knee-to-waist high water through waves (which is not appropriate for a 5-Star hotel) - they need to provide a gang-plank to restore the impression that they care more for their guests than their boats. The bar and poolside drinks are a little expensive, however a nice touch is that each room has 3 decanters with a few free tots of whisky, gin and vodka. They provide a reasonable number of free canoes on the beach but the hotel lacks any dinghies or catamarans for use - these would have been perfect.We were disappointed that our original allocated room overlooked the busy and noisy Buri Rasa hotel and street area and we asked to be moved which after 2 nights there was done.

Room Tip: Make sure that you don't get a garden room at the Buri Rasa end of the hotel. We found our room...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank David H
Dear DavidHowells,

Thank you very much for reviewing us on Trip Advisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we are also grateful for the listed observations. We certainly take feedback seriously and continue to work to improve ourselves.

We hope we will have another chance to welcome you to Anantara Rasananda.

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

This was my first experience in Thailand and at an Anantara Resort and my husband and I were both blown away - which I feel like is saying a lot since we both travel a lot and have stayed at some other unbelievable places. I can honestly say that the pictures seriously do NOT capture it's beauty.

COMPARED TO SANTHIYA
We were seriously considering staying at the Santhiya Resort because I liked the way the rooms looked better. We didn't get to go into the resort, but we did Kayak over and see their beach/restaurant area. My thoughts are that 1) the beach at the Santhiya did not look as terrible as some of the reviews made it sound. That being said, it was significantly smaller than Anantara. At Anantara, we were spread out and each room had a private spot. At Santhiya, since the rooms were up in the mountain, everyone had to come down and share a small beach.
2) Santhiya looked lovely - as I said - I can't speak for the rooms, but the resort as a whole looked lovely. It seemed much bigger than Anantara and thus had a more camp/resort look (in a good way), but I was pleasantly surprised.
3) I am so glad we stayed at Anantara! Our consideration for this trip was the beach - we wanted to be on the beach and the Anantara occupies the majority of the beach on this side of Koh Phangan. My biggest concern was that the room and place were a little boring looking and not that special and about that I was so wrong. As I mentioned above, the room/hotel cannot be captured in pictures - it was truly stunning.

ARRIVAL
Let me first start off by saying that the boat ride from Koh Samui is DEFINITELY worth it. While it seems a bit pricey at first, the alternative is a cramped boat and uncomfortable car ride in the back of a pick-up truck halfway around the island (and the roads are not paved). So bite the bullet and arrange the boat through the hotel - it is worth it.

ROOM
The room was very comfortable. We were in room #1 on the beach and at first we were concerned we would be too close to the "action" - room #1 is right next to the main pool area. However, we didn't hear a single thing and it felt very private. We had beach chairs reserved for us on the beach each day and we liked that we were a bit away from the middle part of the beach. As others have mentioned, there is free alcohol daily in your room - we had whiskey, vodka and rum - each bottle only contains one large glass, or two small glasses, but it is refilled each day.

VALUE
Compared to other luxury hotels around the world, obviously the value in Thailand is much better. We were shocked how much space we received. We went to the Maldives a few years ago and I would say this room was very comparable - outdoor shower, large indoor bathroom, walk in closet, dip pool, etc - except that this room was about 1/5 of the price.

SERVICE
UNBELIEVABLE! We could not have asked for better service - the staff were so polite and friendly. They remembered us each day at breakfast/lunch/dinner - even remembering small things we liked, which table we preferred, etc. They are such a gentle, warm staff - highly recommended.

On our last day, we had an early afternoon flight and in order not to miss it, the hotel arranged for us to take the early boat to Samui and then spend the morning/early afternoon at the Anantara there (before our 3:00 flight). We thought this would kind of be annoying, but it was all so seamless, we really enjoyed spending the day there. (Although we were glad we decided to stay in Koh Phangan!)

FOOD
Others have knocked the food a bit and my husband and I come from New York, so we are a bit of food snobs, but we were pleasantly surprised. While I would probably give it a 4 out of 5 - there was enough variety to keep us interested. The dinner at the restaurant was significantly better than room service. We did go out to Luna one night and I would highly recommend it.

Breakfast is included in the room rate and we were astounded by the selection - it was truly one of the best continental breakfasts we have had.

SPA
My favorite part I think (but hard to say because I had a lot of favorites) - It was incredible. Sort of like Swiss Family Robinson - it was built into the side of the mountain and each room was separate from the other. We had a steam in the "cave" - literally a steam room built into the mountain. Words cannot explain how much I loved the spa.

EXCURSIONS
My last comment is about the excursions - we did the elephant ride and a full-day trip. We loved the elephant ride and had a lot of fun. The hotel arranged a car to and from the camp and it was great.

The day excursion to Koh Tao was through another tour company - NOT THE HOTEL - and we were not fully informed of that. While it was noted on some of the handouts, it was not told to us in person. While it wasn't horrible, I wouldn't really do it again if I had the the chance. We were loaded onto a small boat with about 30 other people and the whole day was a bit cheesy to me. I do not really like "group" tours and would have preferred to hire a private boat.

Room Tip: We had room #1 on the beach, and I would suggest a room on the beach. While the ones above were not...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nyctribecatraveler
Thank you very much for the great review on Trip Advisor. We are excited that you enjoyed your stay this much and we are especially proud that you felt the service was unbeatable. We hope we will have the chance to welcome you back to our little island paradise in not too far future.

brighton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

This hotel is the bomb! - stayed in a garden villa room which was great as they are more private than the beach front villas. The rooms are amazing!, the staff are so friendly and the beach is to die for.

We took the boat to the full moon party which whilst expensive was the best way to travel, however we had to take a taxi boat as we couldn't find the hotel boat on the way back (however the hotel refunded all of the cost when we informed them of this)

It's in the top corner of Koh Phangan and the little village next to is is great with some nice little bars for a change of scenery

We had a bit of mix up with one of the staff ringing our bell at 8am and waking us up to give me some toilet roll (which I didn't ask for) and then messing up our terrace breakfast that we had paid extra for. They also forgot to give us our chocolates that we had in our package and then on the last morning we were woken up by people working on our roof!.

However... when I complained the manager ended up giving us a complimentary 3 course meal with drinks with the table made up on the beach surrounded by candles!!! and a free boat transfer back to the main island!

This made up for the issues we had so hence the 5 star review!

Room Tip: garden villa have more privacy and the garden is beautiful.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. While I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and were happy with the service recovery on the shortfalls you had to experience, I am very sorry that they occurred in the first place.

I hope we will have the chance to welcome you back to our little island paradise for a seeming less stay.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stepping off the private speed boat into the warm sea water and onto the white sandy beach is the perfect start to staying here. Staff are on hand immediately to greet you and after the customary lemongrass tea escort you through the lush walkway to your rooms. We had beachfront villas and they were fab.
I cannot praise this hotel enough. The staff were fantastic, friendly, professional and so helpful. It totally exceeded our expectations and is the best hotel we have ever stayed at. It is 5 star all round but totally unpretentious and so you feel incredibly comfortable and relaxed.
Food service and quality were excellent and if you fancy eating out there are a few really good restaurants in the single street village, a good option as we had our two teenagers with us.
Great hotel, fabulous spa , a hidden paradise. We will definitely be returning!

Room Tip: Go for beachfront!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank hepps2013
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you very much for reviewing us on TripAdvisor and we are very proud that you voted us the best hotel you ever staid in. Your comment is shared with all our associates and we are all delighted that you enjoyed your holiday with us.

We hope we will have another chance to pamper you in our “hidden paradise”.

Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Best to arrive by boat transfer if you can, it really sets the stage for your stay. So off the boat to be magically reunited with your shoes/jandles thru the normal greeting drinks and shown to a very nice room. complete with a plunge pool.
Our room wasnt on the beach but then we were never in during the day, so I dont think we lost anything there. Very quiet.
Main pool with its swim up bar overlooking the beach was hard to leave.
At all the times the staff will go overboard to make your stay as perfect as possible.
Great food but a little pricey. The gym is above average for a hotel.
The hotel has sit on paddle boards ,its a nice paddle to the next beach, maybe for a beer.
We left via a van trip over the island to the ferry. Its a bit bumpy and no toilet stops! but the driver was really helpful , getting us tickets etc.
After Ko Samui this was a really nice way to slow down. Recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you very much for reviewing us on TripAdvisor. We are very happy to learn that you have enjoyed facilities and especially our services. Now we hope you will visit us again in not too distant future.

Ko Samui, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

It's one of the best holiday we had. Very warm welcome at the reception. The driver (Khun Sam) gave us a nice stories and information about the island on the way to the hotel.The room so amazing and a little touch with pay attention to even to just a small details with a warm welcome in the room. Fantastic beach and peaceful it's made us felt like we're in another world and on the paradise. The staff are so friendly as specially all the staff at the restaurant. The food never disappointed and quality. It's like a happy town because everyone is :)

I would like to thank you to everyone at Anantara Rassanada to made my holiday unforgettable.

Apple x

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Khun Apple,

What a wonderful way to start our day, reading a great review like yours on TripAdvisor. It was a pleasure to have you staying with us and we are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed our little island paradise.

Come back soon.

Buri Rasa Koh Phangan
Buri Rasa Koh Phangan
#1 of 89 in Ko Pha Ngan
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,323 reviews

Been to Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas? Share your experiences!