“Beautiful resort on a lovely beach”

Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas
Ranked #4 of 91 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Reviewed August 1, 2013

After an accommodation emergency on the night of the Full Moon, I booked into the Anantara Rasananda at the very last minute! Unsure what to expect, the bumpy journey through the jungle gave little away, yet I was delighted to arrive at this little piece of paradise!

The staff were very welcoming, with the customary Anantara colour changing cocktail and complimentary flower, yet it did seem to take longer than necessary to check in considering all the staff on hand.

The resort is beautifully designed in a contemporary Thai style that is both stylish and comfortable and the pool which cascades down through the resort on to the beach front is a really good size. But the real highlight were the 'suite villa's' which are very spacious; with a large bathroom, courtyard, outdoor plunge pool, large walk in wardrobe and small kitchenette. All in all, it was brilliant value to say I had booked on the day and incidentally this was the day of the full moon when many resorts inflate their prices.

The only downside I have to mention is that when I had difficulty with my air conditioning in the middle of the night, and called room service, I was told to call back in the morning. Fortunately, disaster was averted when I got it working but I did mention this to the reception staff in the morning and they were very apologetic and explained that this was due to me calling in the middle of a shift swap and therefore the person I spoke to wasn't reception staff.

This aside, it is a beautiful resort and in a lovely setting... I intend to go back again and this time to check out the spa!

Room Tip: While the beach front villa suites offer direct access onto the sands, and your own reserved lounger...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank bemo_11
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thank you very much for reviewing us on TripAdvisor. While I am happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us, I am very sorry about the defect air conditioning unit and the poor service we provided you in the night. We are reviewing our manning during night times to ensure such issues being dealt with immediately and with a satisfactory outcome.

It would be my utmost pleasure to welcome you back again to Anantara Rasananda, please do contact me directly for any future arrangements.

Patrick Both

Write a ReviewReviews (2,045)

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed here for five days as part of our honeymoon...it was amazing. Staff so friendly and the whole place has a relaxed and happy vibe. The cocktails are lovely and there is happy hour each day where some cocktails are half price. The rooms are beautiful, we stayed in an ocean pool villa which was a huge room and was right on the beach, i definitely recommend. The food in the hotel is very nice especially breakfast but the location is really good as well and you can walk down the beach and go to local restaurants where the food is very good value. Try Luna lounge for incredible food and bamboo hut for a rustic feel And an amazing pad Thai. Couldn't recommend this place any more for a relaxed and happy holiday

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Thank you very much for review on TripAdvisor. We are very happy to learn that you have enjoyed the facilities and services we have to offer. We hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you to Anantara Rasananda for another amazing holiday.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We booked 2 nights in Anantara Rasananda. It's one of the best experience we did in Asia.
Hotel is isolated, near a very nice beach. Hotel is really well decorated, very few room (looks very private), room are very deluxe. Swimming pool and restaurant is also perfect.
The only negative point concern the group traveling business hotel did. one afternoon suddenly 50 people arrived by boat to enjoy the hotel facility (swimming pool, restaurant...). It was very noisy and completely break the atmosphere during 3 to 4 hours.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Charles P
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Dear Charles P.,

Thank you very much for reviewing us on TripAdvisor! We are very happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to provide you with the service associated with Anantara.

We hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to our little island paradise.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We had a great stay in the Ocean garden Pool Suite room at this resort.The location on Thong Nai Pan Noi was amazing,the beach have a clear water, less people, and softer sand. The hotel is small and has a very personal feel with very attentive and friendly staff that make sure your stay is a good one. The resort itself has everything that you could want for a quiet, romantic beach vacation in a great setting.Our villa's bedroom room was big. The front doors of the bedroom opened up to the beach where we could watch the sunrise over the water from bed. Our bathroom was great.The outdoor shower made up for it. The private beach with day bed and small pool was really nice to relax in, day or night. However, the pool was too cold and we spent less than 2 minutes in it during our entire stay. The spa was so beautiful, highly recommend a walk-through if nothing else. We would love to stay here again.Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The Ocean Garden Pool Suite room was big and nice view.The private pool was really nice to relax.

Dear tonaor3132,

What a wonderful way to start the week with such a nice TripAdvisor comment. We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and hope we will get another chance to welcome you back to our little island paradise.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed at the resort for the 2nd week of our honeymoon in June. I've travelled a fair bit round the world but can honestly stay I've never stayed anywhere as good as this both me and my wife were blown away.

From the moment we checked in at Ko Samui harbour you could tell it was going to be good.
Checked in before boarding a rather luxury speedboat onto resort , on arrival you have to walk through the shallow waters onto the beach where you are greeted by the hotel staff with cold towel and drink shortly after.

We had a lagoon pool villa and was not disappointed by far best I've ever stayed in Apple TV , huge bathroom and our own pool with a double bed outside with hut surrounded by beautiful gardens. I'd recommend this for anyone on honeymoon it's romantic and all yours jacuzzi included in the pool , perfect with the complimentary champagne we received.

The food was top class , expensive compared to what you could get in the village outside but still affordable and tasty, we dined on the beach one night as a surprise for my wife I was kept updated about the weather daily leading upto the event by Caspar who knew who I was without introducing myself ! The service really is out of this world from all members everyone actually enjoys what they do rather than its a job attitude I've had at so many places before nothing is too much.

The beach is great, sunbeds need updating I would say not that comfy that was my only fault I could find and that's not major it was far too hot to lie there too long you just wanted to be in the aqua waters with the fish or on a jet ski

All in all would highly recommend this resort , you get a really personal service perfect for honeymoon we really had a great time. on our last morning Patrick who runs the resort came over and knew we were leaving and had a chat it's this sort of thing that sets it apart from the rest , Keep up the good work Patrick and staff your doing great.

We hope to return one day

• Stayed: June 2013
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Dear Stuart0118,

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your honeymoon with us and that we were able to “blow you away”. Now we hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you to our little island paradise.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

If you have stayed in 5* hotels and island resorts this doesn't really compare, but is very nice, all the same. That's the main reason I can't give it 5 stars...but then I don't think it claims to be a 5* property. We had a villa with pool on the beach. The room was very nice and the plunge pool area was lovely. The food was very good (particularly the green curry spring rolls with banana mayo) and if you don't want to eat there all the time there's delicious and cheap restaurants in the nearby village.

Breakfast was great and the spa was fantastic. In fact I think I had the best massage I have ever had.

The main downside for us (which isn't the fault of the hotel) was the number of children! It was outside school holidays, but we thought it would be a lovely, relaxing, romantic retreat but we had children to the side of us and above us, screaming and jumping in and out of their pools all day which meant that we couldn't really relax by our plunge pool. The room wasn't very well insulated so we could also hear them when we were inside our room.

Room Tip: All rooms have private plunge pools, but it's definitely worth upgrading to be on the beach.
2  Thank Keen_Bean_Traveller

Dear Keen_Bean_Traveller,

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. I am very sorry to learn that you were disturbed by the children we had on property during you stay. Even so we are disappointed that you do not see us as a 5 start resort, I am very happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay at Anantara Rasananda; especially our spa team is delighted with your comments.

Should you ever consider visiting any of our Anantara properties again, it would be my utmost pleasure to help you with any future arrangements.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Well I'm on my last day if my stay before two weeks in Koh Mak and returning to this amazing hotel..l stay here every year but this year they have pulled out all the stops for me and my sons.. I have never felt so looked after in my life.. From the most beautify. And elegant rooms with river views to staff.. Peter especially that took upon our river oat cruise... Highly recommend more ad a private tour than the bog standard tour that's offered from general tour guides.. This man really cares from the fact I mentioned about wanting to have a fresh coconut to ordering lunch exactly what the boys wanted. As a single mother my life was made easier by Peter who went above and beyond a call if duty. Which made a ay incredibly easy... But this was the whole hotel from when we checked in with a beautiful guy that had only been working here 6 months to the luggage guys I have loved every single minute of this elegant hotel that could only be described as five star plus..... Thank you to each and every one of ou hat not only made my stay perfect but made two little it's dreams come true... Looking forward to the 4th of August to complete the dream..l advise don't look anywhere else stay here..Ltd the only option....

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family