“Dream hotel? Check!”

Ranked #2 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Dream hotel? Check!”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed at the Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan on the last leg of our honeymoon in June 2012 and it was everything and more that we had hoped for! We splashed out and stayed in a beach front villa for a week and it really was a dream come true!

The staff were fantastic and provided a level of service that we had never before experienced. The dishes are on the expensive side but you'd expect that at such a high class hotel. That said it is worth noting that the local villiage is an absolute hidden gem and provides a good selection of small atmospheric venues where you can taste delicious food at a fraction of the cost. 'Sex on the Beach' is a great bar and at 'Handsome Burgers' you can purchase the tastiest burgers in Thailand!

My wife and I simply have to return one day and i would absolutely reconmend this hotel to anyone seeking a similar experience.

Room Tip: Go for the Bech Front Villa and you will not be sorry.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MattyWilliams
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Mr. Williams,

Thank you very much for your review. It was a real pleasure to have you staying with us and I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay so much.

I hope we will have the chance to welcome you back to our little island paradise in not to far future.

Kind regards

Patrick Both

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Getting over to Koh Phangan was made so easy with a private speed boat offered by Anantara. It took approx 40 minutes from Koh Samui and it was an enjoyable boat road, not too rough.

When we arrived we were greated by the General Manager and Food and Beverage Manager which was a nice personal touch. You got the feeling straight away that it was a small resort and you were not just another number. Checking in was a breeze, they knew where to take your luggage so you can relax from the moment you arrive.

This part of Koh Phangan was certainly different to the hustle and bustle other parts offer. This was quiet and peaceful, yet close enough to local shops if you did require some extra sunscreen or to potter about.

There were a few hotels lined up on the beach, and this was certainly the pick of the bunch. I was told it was recently renovated and the rooms had old charm but were certainly kept up to date. They offer some of the mini bar for free with some alcohol included, you dont usually get that so it was a nice touch.

The food was fantastic, we ended up eating all our meals there. There Chef introduced himself and he did a great job on every meal. He knew all our dietary requirements and would personally recommend dishes to us at each meal. It was a nice personal touch, you dont have chefs venture out of the kitchen back home!

I highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a more peaceful break, or if you want to come and relax after partying at a full moon party nearby. I would also recommend it for honeymooners.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SCRTraveller
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor!

It was a real pleasure to have you staying with us and we are very happy that we were able to provide you with such a amazing stay.

We hope to welcome you back to our little island paradise in not to far future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Recently spent one night (which wasn't nearly enough) at Anantara Rasananda, it was perfect. All the staff are friendly and welcoming to all your needs, the food was delicious and the location was beautiful. The rooms are spacious, we had a plunge pool which was great. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone! Great honeymoon spot!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Travelcl88
Dear Claire,

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we thank you for recommending us.

We hope to welcome you back to our island paradise in not to close future.

Australia
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I just visited this property for the fourth time.

It has certainly improved each time, and is a wonderful place for a holiday or day of beach/sun/ spa and lunch.

The trip here from Samui is wonderful when the weather is fine, fun and picturesque. How fun arriving right at the resort's beach by speedboat! This saves time and makes enjoying this beautiful spot a much better prospect for those with limited time - it's so easy!

The villas here are luxurious, spacious and comfortable.

The food here is a highlight, especially in the resort but also with local options nearby if you are here for a longer stay and mix it up. Both western and Thai food is outstanding.

The management are extremely present, welcoming and farewelling guests and ensuring everyone is having a good break.

The beach here is bliss. Nice soft sand and clear blue water. A real standout for Samui/phangan.

The local village is literally meters away, so whilst at the resort you feel completely secluded, you have lots of options nearby if you want to get out and enjoy the local side of things.

Not the place to stay if you want a huge resort or a big city feel with lots of shopping etc, but one of the best getaways in Thailand if a beautiful beach, nice pool villa and great food is what you are after.

We will certainly be back with guests.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank AR592
Thank you very much for this fantastic review after your fourth visit to our resort.

We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed our little island paradise once again and that you feel that we continuously moving the resort to the next level.

We look already forward to welcome you back to Anantara Rasananda.

East Grinstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was our third beach hotel in our 3 week holiday and we only booked this for 4 nights and i wish i had booked another couple. This hotel was just stunning. Not too big and gorgeous setting, the gardens with the koi ponds were exceptional. We had a garden pool suite which was just amazing, so classy, really top end finish to everything. Apart from breakfast we didnt eat at the hotel as it was so expensive, so cant comment. There are really good cheap local restaurants to visit a very short walk behind the hotel. The staff were Soooo friendly though, i just had a perpetual smile on my face the whole time. Highly recommend

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jane t
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear JaneT,

Thank you very much for you TripAdvisor comment following your stay at our resort. It is really nice to hear that you had such a wonderful time and enjoyed our facilities and services.

I hope we will have the chance to welcome you back to our resort in the close future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I would definitely return to this resort and spend a much longer time here (I was only here 4 days and 4 nights) but I would do certain things more cleverly. I didn't mind the cost of booking a place here, in fact next time I'll spend more for the beach side suites, but it's the little things that let this place down (a little)...

First off - the good stuff: We were picked up from the boat by rickshaw (not arranged by the hotel) and as we shared with another few travelling people, the price was only about 300 Baht. If you get the hotel shuttle its about 2000 Baht and completely not needed. When we arrived we were greeted with a lovely drink and check-in was a dream, despite my poor son knocking over and smashing the drink for him (oops). The manager was floating around and came to also greet us and say hello and welcome us.

We were shown to our room which was a lovely suite with our own plunge pool, not on the beach, but just as nice. The facilities were amazing - huge shower in a just gorgeous bathroom that overlooked the plunge pool, wonderful thick towels and dressing gowns, free mini bar (bar a few things) and when they turned the beds down, thai fruits and specialities were left with the tea and coffee facilities for the morning after.

It was a very spacious, luxurious bedroom, the bed was huge, four poster with mosquito nets. There was a walk-in wardrobe, and desk and all furnishings were high end and looked and felt like really good quality. There was a chaise longe and TV and DVD and Sky and Apple TV, not that I used any of that, but if my son had wanted to, he could have.

The room was set in a private garden through koi carp fishes and greenery. We were not disturbed by any other guests even when there was a room above us and one either side - it was really peaceful and relaxing.

The whole feel of the hotel, outside beach area, restaurant, pool is really chilled out and good looking. It's right on a private stretch of beach so you have the best of both worlds right on your door step. It was frequented by families or just married couples and there are childrens toys for use by the pool, which is man made beach/sandy area. The beach is an attractive long stretch with several other hotels to the left and right hand side of the Antantara, but it is not busy and it was lovely walking along the beach and checking out the other few hotels and restaurants.

The pools were utterly divine - shallow enough for my 4 year old to play happily with me dozing beside him in the sun, nearly all day. But deep enough for adults to swim in properly. There are 4 jacuzzis in the lower pool too, which were great fun and not over used by other guests. The top pool didn't get a lot of use, but it was just as pretty and appealing.

The breakfasts were FANTASTIC, the best quality I have had in Thailand, and with such an amazing range - blue crab, salmon, cereals, great eggs, porridge, noodles, 12 different types of pastries ahhh, just brilliant.

The food quality at the restaurant was also truly amazing, as was the beside the pool lunch menus.

HOWEVER, and here's the reason this is NOT 5 star: the price of the little things after a while really got to me, and my wallet. A bottle of water bought from the hotel, was £4 - utterly ridiculous given we all need to drink a lot of water all day - this really should be changed by the hotel management, it is blatantly ripping guests off. If you walk the 5 mins to the little shops, you can buy litres of water for 30p (10 Baht) so I highly recommend you buy up loads and chill it in your fridge in your room.

The laundry: again, ridiculous: £5 for a shirt to be laundered (250 Baht) when if you walk again into the town you have have a whole bag of laundry done for about £3. It's these things that let this place down - everyone knows the local prices are cheaper if you bother to walk into town, so a hotel would be really well advised to just lower their prices on these things to something sensible, albet more than the local price, just not THAT much more.

Babysitting - I managed to get the price down here, but the reception were trying to say it was 500 Baht an hour - which is £10 GBP an hour, more than in central london or central bangkok. I totally refused and I thought I would go and chat up a local lady and see if she had a daughter who would do it for 200 Baht an hour. Eventually the hotel found me a staff member who did if for 200 Baht - I always tip really well, so shd got the same as what she would have if the price was 500 B an hour, but the point it, it wasn't going to the hotel, but directly to the member of staff who babysat (who were lovely).

The wines in the restaurant - they would pour less than a third of a glass and charge for a whole glass. I appreciate a low poured glass, and hate it if somewhere over pours so the wine comes over the fullest part of the glass or even higher than half way, but this was silly and way too expensive. I complained and they tried to say they had to get x amount of glasses out of the bottle etc, but I said there's no way I was paying for the top up when it was no more than 2 sips he had poured. This happened a few times and eventually I got a proper decent, but still modest, measure, but I shouldn't have had to question this and ask and complain - it was really uncool and again blatantly ripping me and other guests off - I have noticed more comments on TA about the wines and the costs - I hope they pay attention.

Lastly, the bus back to the boat - as we had to leave early I didn't get a chance to speak to a local rickshaw tuk tuk driver, so was obliged to pay the 3000 Baht, yes it had gone up, to get back. It was a safe, secure and confident driver in a 4 x 4 - but still - more rips offs and I didn't have, overall, quite the perfect experience money like I spent (£1k for the 4 days and 4 nights) should have bought me...

perhaps if we lobby this place, it can change these small things and I will happily go back year after year after year....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SJPeach
Dear SJ Peach,

Thank you very much for your TripAdvisor comment. We appreciate your feedback and will work towards rectifying the issues you mentioned.

Thank you very much once again and I really hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort in the close future.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed for 6 nights and i must say it was fantastic , the resort lay out is fantastic
with the the fish ponds and the tropical plants are a amazing, i stayed in a beach side pool villa # 8 and could not fault it as i was looking for a tropical hideaway just to chill out with a bit of snorkelling book reading .
The staff are very professional right from the manager who was always interacting with every body making sure everything was to ones needs , the same can be said for the Bar manager and the restaurant hostess , The staff were always on hand and more than helpful nothing was too much to ask of them 5 star service for a five star Hotel
The restaurant meals every night you had the choice of the special theme of the night or you can select from the main hotel menu either way it was a fantastic meal .
The pool bar and pool are great i am coming back for sure great place too lose track of time with a book or two the place you don't want to leave and the place you cannot wait to go back

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Matt M
Dear MattM,

Thank you very much for the great review on Trip Advisor. We are very happy to read that you have enjoyed your time with us.

Until we meet again.

Pingchan Beach Resort
Pingchan Beach Resort
#18 of 92 in Ko Pha Ngan
Santhiya Koh Phangan Resort & Spa

Been to Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas? Share your experiences!