“Best hotel in Koh Phangan”

Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas
Ranked #2 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
“Best hotel in Koh Phangan”
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

This is the third time I'm here for the full moon party and I must say its the best hotel I've stayed in. Great service, great room with a view and conveniently located next to a quaint village where you can find eateries and legit massage parlors. The only negative is that it's a tad far from Haad Rin beach where the party is held.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Shanghai
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The good: staff are well trained and the general manager is very friendly. Too bad the hardware is poor and they decide to charge such a high price.
We had to take a 40 minute car ride from one side of the island to the other because, as told by the hotel staff, the waves were too high to use the port nearby the hotel. The car ride was excruciating as a large part of the road was not paved. As a result both my son and wife suffered from motion sickness after upon arriving the hotel.
The hardware in the hotel is average, not luxurious. There is only one restaurant in the hotel and its menu is very limited. Although there are a couple of restaurants nearby that are worth a try, e.g. Luna Lounge where the food was great and the French owner was very hospitable.
The sand on the beach was very rough and made it uncomfortable to walk barefooted. And as the waves were really high, swimming looked a little too dangerous with my 3 year old son. And the beach actually has a sign that says "Danger. Do Not Swim".
The pool in the pool villa is more like a large bathtub that is incomparable to other pool villas that we've been to. Overall, not impressed at all. So around USD800 per night per villa (from Jan 2 to Jan 6), we're definitely not going back to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Justin L
PAB77, Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Thank you very much for having taken the time to write about your stay at Anantara Rasananda on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased to learn that our team was able to provide you with the high level of service associated with Anantara Resorts, however I understand that you were dissatisfied with some of the facilities and that this impacted your stay with us. Besides the bad weather and the choppy sea, I am very sorry to hear that you did not like the general design and the materials we used in our resort.

Should you nevertheless ever consider staying at any of our other properties, I would be delighted to help you with any future arrangements.

Yours sincerely,

Patrick Both
Australia
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our second visit to Rasananda did not disappoint. Excellent location on a quiet beach, beach front villa was amazing ( an upgrade for the last few nights of our stay) due to hotel group membership. Try and get a room further from the pool and restaurant if u normally go to bed early, as you will hear noise if you are close. Upstairs beach view rooms are also good some have better views than others so it's a bit luck of the draw.. Little plunge pool is really nice for a an arvo dip and wasn't too cold.
The village behind has a few great cheap restaurants - there is one half way down on right hand side with a wooden boat - excellent food so dont feel you have to always eat at hotel... Mind u hotel food is very nice too and BBQ night is quite fun with live music.
Massage at spa was awesome and glad i splurged but not cheap! Beach massage is also great and far cheaper!
Kayaks are free and paddling to nearby beaches is quite easy.
Great breakfast with feet in the sand

Overall highly recommend - oh and boat transfer is great - complimentary cold drink on the journey is a nice little touch.

Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2012
Vaduz, Liechtenstein
Reviewed January 20, 2013

After staying at many Anantaras before, I opted for this one. Reviews good etc.
Booked a standard Pool suite an got "upgrade" to a Garden Suite, right next to the Mother Resort, Buri Rasa Resort, which apparently owns the Rasananda, and the whole Village. Due the the noise, they moved us to another Garden Suite on the other side. Much quieter, but this place was a dark hole. I had to turn all the lights on, during any time of the day,
The Jacuzzi outside had the temperature of an arctic lake, cause it never saw the sun.
Afterwards I though this was the worst upgrade I ever received. Don´t take the Garden Suite!! The pool suites are on the first floor and enjoy some afternoon sun, and mayber even the sunrise.
They would have given me an Ocean Pool Suite for 100€ per day extra, but i was sick of moving, and told them that we would leave early anyway. Money back? not a chance...
The manager didnt really care how guests felt. The only time when you saw him was, when he sat next to you at breakfast! Quite strange thinking, I am paying 500$ per night, and I have to sit next to somebody who should ask me if everything is alright. Anyway....
If you think this is a 5Star resort your wrong!!! I asked for a Coconut...they did not have one. Strange beeing on an Island thats main trade is coconuts. Ginger ale?.....sorry at the moment we no have...Chocolate ice cream.....sorry we no have.....
Well If you want all of this, then go the the 4star Buri Rasa, next door, where they have everything, for half the price. But don´t stay there. Full of Russians

The main problem here is service. If you are used to the That Service, they did something wrong here. The service staff even complain that their F&B Managers, some young unexperienced french men, don´t have a clue what they are doing. I agree.
The street dogs that are running around the hotel, drinking from the hotel pool( I don´t even want to think of the diseases they carry around, and then some little kid swims in the pool), and eating some rat in the hotel garden, should not make your stay uncomfortable. There is nobody in the hotel who cares, because for them this is normal. For me it was digusting!

The beach is beautiful, the hotel grounds, gardens and villas are also very nice. Would I come back? Lots of things would have to change, and for the price you pay go somewhere else. Most probably not..

Room Tip: Only Ocean rooms os Pool Suites. Avoid Garden rooms. No sun!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MaRice2013
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you very much for having taken the time to write about your stay at Anantara Rasananda Villa Resort & Spa on Trip Advisor.

I am the incoming General Manager for this resort and I am very sorry to learn that you left the hotel so disappointed with the services received. I will certainly put all my efforts into securing much better experiences for our guest.

In the event that your travels bring you back to Koh Phangan, or you wish to visit another Anantara resort, please do contact me directly; I would be delighted to assist in making the arrangements.
With my warmest regards, I remain,

Patrick Both
pboth@anantara.com
Dublin
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is faultless in its service and accommodation. We had a villa facing the beach with our own plunge pool on the upper floor. Upper is better I think as it's more private. If I were booking again, I could do without the plunge pool as you're right next to the beach and the pool is excellent.

The rooms were so well stocked with comforts - complimentary vodka, whiskey and gin (not much now, but it's a very nice touch), fresh ice, a cabinet of glasses for every drink, amazing bed with very nice pillows (they even have a pillow menu in case you don't like what you have in your room - impressive), very good sized room with spacious balcony, Apple TV with some free movies (which you can use your own apple id to buy movies if you want), fast wifi, your own beach bag, complimentary flip flops and slippers, complimentary local sweet things wrapped in banana leaf with the nightly turn-down service and water left by our bed and of course the beautiful bathroom with glass wall and sliding door facing the beach stocked with great shampoo, conditioner and body lotion and a powerful rain shower. One of the best rooms we have ever stayed in.

The breakfasts will not disappoint either. They have everything from fresh fruit, chicken soup, a range of cooked breakfasts by the chef, great coffee, juices (although I did note that not all juices are fresh - orange, lemongrass which was really good and watermelon are fresh I believe), fried rice, cereals, salad bar and freshly baked danish / pastries / croissant / muffins. It's a very good start to the day.

The spa we didn't use but we were given the tour. It's truly beautiful and I would say amazing to have a treatment done in. We just found it too expensive. I know you pay for the experience but it was really hard to justify paying 3000 Baht (€75 approx) for a 1.5 hr treatment when you can pay 300 Baht (€7.50) on the beach for a really really good 1 hr massage. The rest of the hotel shares this inflated pricing for everything, from cooking courses, lunch, cocktails and dinner. I truly would love to have tried everything in the hotel but as everything was so inflated we didn't. This would be my one gripe with the hotel. If they decreased the price of services by one third they would still make a lot of money (as presumably more people would take part). The restaurant was pretty empty at dinner and therefore totally boring. Their prices also has a 10% service charge (which I would hope the service staff get as they deserve it) and a 7% government tax. A very reputable cooking course in the village cost us 1,600 BT for two people, whereas in the hotel it was coming in at 4,800 BT. It's just very hard to justify.

That said, a beautiful hotel in a beautiful setting with stunning rooms, great service staff, fantastic breakfast, great pool. We really enjoyed every minute.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank garvangallagher
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2013

After doing the legal bit in Bangkok, my wife and I moved on to the Rasananda for our wedding ceremony and honeymoon - organised through Kuoni. We stayed 10 nights over Xmas and New Year 2012 in a standard villa with plunge pool which was great, although the plunge pool was actually colder than the sea. The hotel provide a speedboat transfer from Koh Samui over to Koh Phangan which was great. If the sea is calm, they land you at the hotel beach - if not, as in our case, the speedboat goes to the east side of the island and you're transferred across the island by road. This in itself was fascinating. The staff at Rasananda are wonderful. From the general manager to the serving staff and housekeeping - all were kind, thoughtful, unpretentious and always smiling (Pla and Rung - special mention). We can't speak highly enough of them. The wedding ceremony (organised by Casper and Arnold) was wonderful. We chose to have it in one of the gardens and the hotel put flowers everywhere and set the whole thing up beautifully. The photographer was supplied by the hotel (French guy who runs the Luna restaurant in the village). He's an ex-professional photographer who took over 400 pictures of us at various locations around the hotel. The results were just great. After the photos we had our wedding meal at our villa - again it was set up beautifully by the staff - with the food cooked by the head chef at the villa.
The hotel is very laid back which suited us just fine. The pool and pool bar are great and the food in the restaurant is good if a little expensive. We ate a few times in the village where there's a mix of simple local bars and restaurants. There's also a few ATMs in the village and a couple of convenience stores. Don't get the idea the village it big - it isn't - just a single road about 300m long.
As other reviewers have noted, the hotel need to reconsider the sun loungers at the pool. There simply aren't enough and the usual culprits are out there at 7.30am with their towels. If those with beach villas stayed on the beds provided with their villas, there wouldn't be a sunbed problem at the pool - but they don't. Like many seas, there's debris in the Gulf of Thailand which gets washed onto the beach. The Rasananda staff are out there frequently during the day collecting what has washed up, but outside of the beach area fronted by the hotel, there is a lot of rubbish lying on the beach. Overall, a fabulous place to which we hope, one day, to return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ian T
SD
Reviewed January 17, 2013

PROS:
Beautiful resort
Beautiful rooms -- we stayed in the ocean garden pool suite which was great
Free Apple TV and WiFi in the room
Staff was overall very kind with good service
5:30-6:30 pm happy hour at the poolside bar was cool

CONS:
Terrible eggs benedict -- eat omelets instead
Terrible expensive dinner at restaurant -- gave our leftovers to a stray dog
Staff would not get us a cab but would only allow us to use their very expensive hotel van

CAN'T COMMENT ON:
Hotel Gym, Library, & Spa

TIPS:
Village next to hotel is very charming -- walk through it!
Get food and taxi from village -- much cheaper & much better
Village also has cheap laundry service, massages, and many minimarts/ATMs
Can also rent scooters in village for 250 thai baht per day (about $8)
Luna Lounge in village is pretty nice with good food but don't eat the BBQ shrimp
Handsome burgers in village has great cheeseburgers for 100 thai baht

Pingchan Beach Resort
Pingchan Beach Resort
#17 of 92 in Ko Pha Ngan
Santhiya Koh Phangan Resort & Spa

Been to Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas? Share your experiences!