“Better Late Than Never”

Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas
Ranked #2 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Firstly my apologies for the lateness of this review. We stayed there back in June in an Ocean Pool Villa for 6 great nights. From the time we arrived at the waiting area in Samui for the transfer over to Rasananda we could not fault anything. The crossing over in the resorts boat was quite rough with choppy seas but not once did we feel insecure during the crossing. The person in control masterfully powered on and off to get through the chop and make the trip as comfortable as possible.

Staff were waiting on the beach to greet us soon as we arrived and we were handled fairly quickly and transferred to our room. I have read other reviews about some rooms having lack of sun to their pool but the villa were in was great and had plenty of sunshine. The room was well presented and all features were explained. I remember that the second day we were there we had a problem with an internal door that locked and could unlock it. Within 10 minutes of a call to reception we had a maintenance person down to fix.

Reserved lounges on the beach were a nice touch as was the cocktail drinks one night with the management team. The breakfasts were good with a combination of buffet and a la carte eggs etc also loved the coffee from the coffee machine at breakfast so good to be able to get a larte or cappuccino. We mixed our dinners between a couple of restaurants in the nearby village and dinners at the resort. I have read elsewhere those who have said in their reviews that the resort is over priced for dinner, but have to disagree. Yes it is more than in the village, but the quality and service is excellent.

Beach is fantastic with soft sand and loved the happy hour round the pool bar in the afternoon. We were approached a number of times by food and beverage managers seeking feedback, taking a very proactive approach. Before we left Australia there were a few reports on staff turnover and new staff not trained properly. I went to the gym upstairs most days and when on the treadmill I usually saw staff meetings taking place across in the next building upstairs or staff training being done. It is apparent that they are investing in staff to make sure that they achieve the right level of training. The gym although small was well equipped with a fridge with cold water in after the work out.

There was a wedding there during our stay and the detail that they went to and communication to guests was very good.

We used she spa when we were there and the attention provided by the staff and ambience of the resorts spa was very good.

The checkout process was well handled and the labeling of luggage to our next point of stay back in Samui was well done. Hardest part was waving goodbye as our boat departed.

Mark thank you to you and your team , sorry that I took so long to do a review, I thought that I had done one when I did one for the Anantara Bophut, but recently realised that I hadn't

We loved the place so much am about to make a booking to go back next June so only about 240 days to go................can't wait!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MelbTraveller45
There are newer reviews for Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas

Reviewed October 6, 2012

We have just returned from the most amazing stay at the Anantara Rasananda, from the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were treated as personal friends of the staff.
We were welcomed on arrival by the most lovely staff, even the Manager Mark and head chef came to welcome us and introduce themselves. Nice touch. We were travelling as a group of 9 people (a check-in logistical nightmare for any hotel) not the Anantara they even offered to set a table on the beach for us for the duration of our stay.
Then we were shown to the most amazing garden villa I have ever had the pleasure of staying in (and I have stayed in some nice hotels in Thailand and Indonesia) It had its own private decking and plunge pool. The rooms are huge and sparkling clean, I could have had a seperate party in the bathroom alone. Free spirits and fresh ice bucket were delivered to our rooms daily. The staff are wonderful, organised, welcoming and discreet. I asked for a cake to be delivereed one morning for my husbands birthday there was no bother at all we even had a jug of tomato juice and all the makings for bloody Marys broughty to our table as well. I think it was Rin at the restaurant that organised this for me, a huge thank you to her she is so beautiful.
This place is truly paradise no stone is left unturned. The attention to detail and pride they take in their customer care is flawless.
Guests are given a personal farewell from Mark the manager, his wife and their little boy, such a lovely touch and it does make you feel special.

My only complaint is that we were only there for a very short 4 nights, My friends and I all unanimously have voted we will definately be back this time for longer and with our families in tow. Thank you Mark, family and staff for making this part of our holiday very special.
THIS PLACE SHOULD BE ON EVERYONES BUCKET LIST, I WILL DEFINATELY BE BACK.. See you next year.

Room Tip: A garden villa is lovely
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank luv2travel14_9
Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

This resort is heaven-like with excellent rooms (though the private pool suite suffers from lack of sun above the the cold pool...) boutique hotel feeling (the hotel was full yet we hardly felt the other guests) and great location-right behind it there is a small town with cheap good restaurants and a minimart.

Excellent "treat yourself" resort

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Rating 4 stars because it is that kind of resort...but not the best high end resort there is.... Not by a long stretch. The water and beach are the best on koh phangang, but the beach could be MUCH better taken care of. It is rocky and not raked well at the top of the beach...but near the water it's sugary bliss... The pool is odd, food unnecessarily expensive, BUT the staff and management quite nice and the rooms as pictured. There is very little nearby except for the mini town, and you have to long tail it to the other beaches. There are a few other restaurants near here for much cheaper....and the mini town is fun. To me....this was just ok... One thing that just makes me angry.... when you book excursions through the hotel it is 1.5 times more expensive because they mark it up.... For no other reason but booking the excursion for you. REALLY?!

There was an annoying family of 20 people at the resort while we were there...their kids were rude and parents not attentive... letting their kids really intrude on other people's vacation... The family treated the staff unwell and it really irritated me because the staff here really tries hard to over serve.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MBOC
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed here on the first leg of our honeymoon and what a special place it is. Speed boat transfer from Koh Samui was fantastic and fast. When we got there, we were blown away. The beach is absolutely beautiful and the water was warm. Reception at the hotel was extremely attentive. We were shown to our room as soon as we arrived and our bags had magically appeared before we did. The concierge gave us all the information we needed on the beautiful walk to our room.

The hotel itself is laid out beautifully around tropical gardens and pools. The rooms are immaculate. We had a 1st floor room with huge balcony overlooking the gardens and a sizable plunge pool on the balcony. Turn down service every evening was flawless. The main pool is spectacular and overlooks the beach. Kayaks are on the shorefront all day for your personal (free) use.

We ate there the first night and had a few drinks. It is very pricey but the food was beautiful. On the other nights we stayed here we ventured round to the back of the hotel to the small village and there was an abundance of very reasonable places to eat so we were in no way stuck eating at the hotel every night.

There is really nothing bad I could say about this hotel. The staff are beyond friendly and accommodating. The whole experience here was really something special. We hope to be back soon.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Emma Louise M
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Amazing hotel with great design, lovely beach and garden, excellent food (breakfasts and dinners) and attentive staff. They surprised us with delicious complimentary sweets on my friend's birthday. You would regret you couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
GM-Rasananda, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Da_rt_1717

Thank you so much for this lovely review. Indeed it is a common issue for our guests to regret not staying longer. The average length of stay for our Returning Guests is 7-10 nights and even then they regret to leave us.

The culinary team will be thrilled with your praise and we all look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Best Regards

Mark Eletr
Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan

Reviewed September 29, 2012

I am tempted to write a bad review as I always read them first when I look on Trip Advisor. The bad review though would be impossible to write as I can't say a bad word about our stay here! My husband and I visited in mid September and spent 7 idyllic days in this resort. From the moment you arrive until you leave you are treated fantastically. All of the staff are so helpful and friendly and they go out of your way to make you feel welcome.

Arriving by speedboat is a wonderful experience and as there is no pier you step immediately into the sea which is lovely. Members of the hotel staff are waiting on the beach to greet you as well.

The rooms were spacious and lovely and I made good use of the plunge pool on the balcony!

The hotel will organise excursions to do whilst on Koh Phangnan. We went elephant trekking, all day snorkelling and also went to the walking market.

The Manager's cocktail party is a nice touch and a good way to speak to other guests and also the general manager. Mark Eletr was very knowledgeable about the local area and interested in speaking to all of the guests - not something that you normally experience when staying at a hotel.

I can't think of anything negative to say about our visit and I know that we will be back! Amazing!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Lyner77

What a wonderful review, thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback and experiences with other TripAdvisor viewers.

I note that you stayed 7 glorious days with us, this surely allowed you the time to discover not only this beautiful resort but also the amazing authentic experiences on offer around Koh Phangan. There is so much to see and do and I'm certain there are many more wonderful experiences we can help to offer on your next visit.

Until then, thank you and I look forward to personally assisting you with your next stay.

Best Regards

Santhiya Koh Phangan Resort & Spa
Buri Rasa Koh Phangan
Buri Rasa Koh Phangan
#1 of 92 in Ko Pha Ngan

Been to Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas? Share your experiences!