“Fantastic!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Phangan Utopia Resort
LaGlobettroter
“Fantastic!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2009

The view is incredible!! The staff is also very friendly and helpful. They do the little plus that makes all the difference! I would recommend this place even if it is a little bit far but so peaceful and quiet!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank LaGlobettroter

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2009

We booked a thai style room through hostel bookers which gets you a 30% discount. We we picked up from the ferry terminal by wolf and taken to the resort. The views from the resort are absolutely amazing. It is on top of a cliff and I got a lovely feeling of calm when we sat in the restaurant looking out.

The room was nice, in the traditional thai wooden style. The bathroom was outdoors which was nice taking a shower, but a little wierd when using the loo at night! the food was nice, although they have to take it outside when transfering from the kitchen to restaurant, so it arrives a little colder than I would have liked!

They do a transfer to the nearest beach, which is lovely! There is a natural sandbank to a little island which you can walk along, and the mamma's massage on the beach is the best massage I have even had!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank s300bex
Island of Malta, Malta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2009

I booked the rooms and paid deposit in January since they had good rates for April but as soon as we arrived in Phangan there was no pickup as they said. Phoned them and they said I had no booking and the rooms were full! Luckily I had a thai friend who phoned them and in 15 min sent pickup to sort out what happened. They said that their booking system crashed last week and lost all records. Since I had a bad feeling that thais are going to fool me I brought records of email booking and paypal receipt both on paper and on pendrive as proof of payment. After accepting my booking the receptionist said that the rates have changed since my booking and become more exp. and wanted to give me a lower rated room from what I have booked and besides this the type of room (seaview with big windows and balcony) were all booked. I insisted to have a similar room and agreed for a seaview with balcony but small windows. I realized that the system crash was a setup and they wanted me to forget my early booking and pay twice as much. Another ripoff is the fact that they hire pickup drivers from Chaloklam to take to to had rin and other nearby places for an exuberant price and this rises up to 500 baht one way on fullmoon party days.I tried to haggle a price with the driver and at first he accepted for 500 return but when he came to pick us up from had rin he said to wait for an hour because he had another pickup in one hours time, we agreed and offered him a drink insice a bar to kill the 1hour. when he took us back to utopia he refused the deal and wanted abother 500 baht. Besides all this, rooms are clean and nicely decorated. My girlfriend didn't like the fact that during the night there are big gechos all around the hut and other bugs strolling on the roof because the sound was waking her up. Said that be careful when you prebook with utopia and money wise its better to book at utopia if you want to visit chaloklam, mae haad, ko ma and nearby beaches because they offer free transport to nearby places and if you want to visit had rin or go to fullmoon party its more woth it to have accommodation in had rin

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

This place was great! The view is unbelievable. The staff was the best...so helpful...no matter what we needed they helped us out. My only regret is that we only stayed one night! A little far from the Full Moon Party beach, but they arranged transportation for us. The food was great too!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends