“Charming bungalow, awesome service”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ko Pha Ngan
JJ's Resort & Bungalows
Goa, India
“Charming bungalow, awesome service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

I stayed at JJ's Resort for a month while on Koh Phangan on a yoga program. The owners, an Englishman and his Thai wife, are accomodating to their guests and quite pleasant. They picked me up from another hotel across town as I could not bring all of my luggage over on my rented scooter. The owner also took me to the ferry early one morning (6:15 am) so I could do a visa run and a visit to Penang. Several of the guests I met, stay here year after year for months at a time.

I looked at some other bungalows that were cheaper by the month, but they did not offer the quality or the value for me. The wifi in the bungalows was outstanding and the TV had tons of channels. I watched more TV than I had planned.

I had a problem with the fan in my living room and when I notified them, it was replaced immediately with a new one.

The restaurant is outstanding with home cooked specialities including vegetarian options. I loved the Thai Set Menu. Their homemade spring rolls are delicious. The chocolate cake is yummy! It takes a little longer to get your food than you might expect, but that it is because eveything is made fresh to order. It is not a cheap place to eat, but the value is there because of the quality of the food. It is nice to have the restaurant across the street from your bungalow when you don't feel like cooking or driving out.

There were great views of the sea from my bungalow (the one closet to the street). I knew they didn't have a/c in my bungalow and was concerned this could be a problem for me, but it wasn't. I got plenty of breezes and ventilation with all the windows and the front door open. The livingroom with the open-ness, gave an indoor/outdoor feel to it! I found the breezes refreshing! They have 2-units with air conditioning, but without a kitchen, so ask if they are available. When I checked other properties, they wanted from 3-5k baht more for a/c per month which made them unaffordable to me.

I cooked frequently with the limited utensils in my kitchen. I was told if there was anything additional I needed to cook with that their restaurant kitchen would supply it for me. So ask if you don't have something in your bungalow you need! The bungalows could use brighter lightbulbs for reading and checking email.

There is a nearby bar on Saturday nights that had an open mic night. This was the only times the street traffic/noise was an issue for me. They played music until 2:30 am! The rest of my visit I didn't mind the street noise because it gave me the view of the sea and the breeze. For those wanting more solitude, stay at a bungalow in the back.

The location on the southern part of the island was perfect. It was about half way to Thongsala (the main town and pier) and where my yoga classes were given near Ao Hin Kong Beach on the south to southwest part of the island. Many of the parties are on the westside of the island. I did not want to be anywhere near the Full Moon Parties so this was the right choice for me!

Room Tip: for a view and breeze, get a bungalow closer to the street. Or there is a river bungalow for more p...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank firecrackerbaby2015

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2010

I stayed here whilst travelling around asia with some friends, only for about 10 days in total although not all at once. We wanted to return before we departed Thailand to say goodbye to the lovely owners and their children, Jamie and Jack (hence JJ's). The food was great and the atmosphere was always lively as there were alot of people who I guess came for the quality food. Would reccomend to travellers and families on a budget. We made sure we were back for sunset as they were amazing from this side of the Island and especially whilst sipping a cold beer on JJ's beach.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2008

Accomodation was okay. Beautiful bungalows with hammocks and well designed. Would have been fantastic with AC!

Downside, we had cockroaches, the fan didn't cool the room enough.

Worst of all, the location was about 30 minutes by taxi from the harbour and the full moon party.

When arriving / departing, we paid £20. When travelling to / from the party, we were piled 12 into the back of a pick up truck(!?!) and charged £8... Not a great experience, but standard on Samui, Tao and Phangan.

The room cost £11 a night - so not expensive!

• Liked — Beautiful bungalows, nicely decoarted and clean
  • Disliked — Coackroaches and location!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)