“Avoid this place at all cost!”

West Coast Beach Resort
Ranked #67 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Ao Nang, Thailand
“Avoid this place at all cost!”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

After reading some reviews I can only agree! We got approached by the tout on the ferry to kho Phangan and it sounded really nice! We planned to stay only one night anyway, but it was a mistake! We rented a overpriced motorbike and went out for dinner! I didn't wanna spend my cash on this place. After we got back a few hours later, my wife realised someone went through her luggage! The thief only stole a flashlight! Lucky us, because my camera was there too! We think the thief was looking for drugs! Apparently they work with corrupt policemen together!
Anyway avoid this place at all cost! I'm disappointed and angry and wish the hotel goes down!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank NinoandAlex

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Germany
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I do agree with the most people here. But I have to say, it's not the worst place i did stay during my travels.
BUT it was the most unfriendly and rude Manager (or what ever he is) I've EVER met.... He should really think about his behaviour if he wants to stay in a job like this. I'm not sure if he knows that if you work in a tourism business you get in touch with people... you feel kind of sorry you came there and disturbed him by doing whatever... But at least he can speak soooo many languages, wow, congratulations!

And don't book anything with his help. We booked our Trip to Trang. It was very expensive and in the end we should even pay the driver extra money for our luggage (we didn't). We did call "Jaco" and all he said was: "its their car, and they can do what they want. Its your problem." Well, of course it's not his problem anymore, cause he has his money.

We stayed in the "beachroom". It's bit off the restaurant. So we did hear the music, but it wasn't as loud. The beds were really smelly... Oh and luckily we had our own mosquito net cause the one in the room was like a switzerland cheese...
I think the pool is nice, but beware of loose nails on the way to it, you might hurt your feet...
BUT the food was good! And they did repair the road...

So it's your decision in the end if you wanna give a man like this your money or prefer guesthouses where they really try to give you a nice accomodation and a happy stay. And I think there are plenty in Thailand... We're really angry we gave him our money...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Annere_Mudders

Travelers are raving about these Ko Pha Ngan hotels

Vantaa, Finland
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I have a lot to say about this place but after reading the other reviews there is not really much to add.
The beach is not good, the pool is not clean, the bar is loud and the staff not very helpful.
But the worst thing in this place is really the manager... His behaviour was ignorant and unfriendly until we paid the bill, then he became just nasty.

I have travelled for 7 months and stayed in over 80 hotels/guesthouses/hostels etc and never ever faced a manger or service this bad.
I have also stayed in various places in Ko Phangan. This is the worst one.
The place has potential, but they should really change the management and most of the staff as well.
Almost ruined my week in Phangan.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Sanna L
Vilnius, Lithuania
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Stay way from this place.

Well, in the beginning it was our fault to hook on the tout offer at ferry port on the way from Surat Thani to Ko Phan Ngan. We couldn't expect such a miserable end...

First of all it's the location - far far away from everything. Connected to main road via poor unpaved track. Wouldn't drive on a motorbike there.

We've got a bungalow just next to a bar. Inside there was huge spider, not mosquito, net and huge cracks in the walls. Asked about noise from the bar, the manager said "It's no problem". The same night we and other guests experienced loud techno beats by 2-3 enthusiastic "guests", playing from their laptop. Well, they can play, no problem, but there's nowhere to go away actually.

We changed the room to a better one for extra. With mosquito net at least. When we're going to experience their swimming pool (there was no lights at night there, not "working hours" or something?). My girlfriend was going out of a bathroom and cracked right through the floors of the bungalow till her waist. Her legs and arm was bruised really badly (no swimming for few weeks). We asked for a manager, but there was a barman only. The answer was "He's sleeping". So he didn't bothered to get up and my girlfriend received first aid from a massage woman. They even wanted us to stay in the same room, covering the hole with a basket. So we'd received another one, seems like unused and dusty after the repairing.

If that's not enough, about 5-6 am in the morning our neighbours came back from a party and made loud and endless after party in their balcony, just few meters away from our room. We're really into parties, but that was just too much...

In the morning we'd found a manager, a Dutch one. After telling our story, he said
"I'm not a manager. He's not here. That was an accident and it's your problem". No
excuses, no sorries, no even human sympathy. Just trembling hands with a cigarette and nervous look. After mentioning Tourist police, he said that actually the resort is owned by a policeman. After refusing to pay for everything, we're blamed for ruining their business.

If you want to experience real beauty of Ko Phan Ngan, beware of this place.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank D0mas
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Please, please, please don't stay here. Like so many other reviewers here, my friends and I had a horrible experience. Yes, Jaco was a rude and dismissive nob. When we arrived, I politely inquired as to whether I could ask him a quick question and he waved his hand in my face and replied "I'm on my way to the bathroom". Thanks for the info. The entire staff acted as if we were completely inconveniencing them just by being there. My first meal I ordered Tom Yum soup and when it arrived I asked for a side of rice. I literally waited for over an hour for the rice, after asking for it about 4 times, it was like I was in the twighlight zone. My friends paid 1200 baht to stay in an aircon room - the aircon didn't work. When they told "Jaco the useless" that it didn't work and asked him to please take care of it (they had to ask a number of times) he replied by saying they didn't like complainers... The place is located down a long and sketchy road - we felt somewhat trapped there as it was the full moon and we knew most other places would be full, we stayed two nights and couldn't get out of there fast enough.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
11 Thank Pamela L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2012

As a couple travelling we were keen to find a nice beach hut when we went to Koh Phangan. En route to the boat at the Surat Thani bus station we were approached by a nice, Thai man who assured us he was not on commission and we were given a deal on Haad Gruad. We took it as it sounded very nice and the pictures in the leaflet were ok and thought it would save time on arrival to the island.
When we arrived the beach hut was pretty basic but we thought this was perhaps the local standard. The roof was open at the sides and we had a mosquito net over the bed with a few holes in it and a very basic and not so clean bathroom and a bad shower. The private beach seemed nice and has soft, yellow sand and seating areas. There is a nice swimming pool at the resort. The manager seemed nice also and he speaks several languages.

The first thing we noticed was that the staff in the resort do not smile, are discourteous and seem to hate tourists. I mean politeness costs nothing! The resort claims to do everything for the tourist so you don't have to go anywhere else, which we found very restricting - all the advice is centred on the resort. The access road is a bumpy dirt track down a hill and hard to navigate, even with a moped, hired for an expensive rate (250 Baht per day) from the resort. It is also a long walk from any shops. Its like we were trapped! The sea itself requires you to wear sandals in it as the bottom is covered in sharp coral and stones.
In the evening we could not sleep for the noise of annoying, drunken laughter from tourists who seemed only interested in drinking and smoking - perhaps that was their only way to cope with the resort?
They have wired internet access (no wifi) but its not free (!!) and they do not even have Skype headsets. A few couples there found this very annoying and the staff do not attempt to help and have zero sympathy.

When we finally escaped and went next door to visit Haad Yao we found a much more open, white sandy beach with lovely water. I wish we had started our trip there instead.
We decided to move south to Haad Rin after that.
I would really not recommend anyone to start their holiday at Haad Gruad. It has potential but needs a lot of work to improve itself before being suitable in our view. There are many other resorts on the Island which are much better quality and definitely better value for money.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank J_L0nd0n2011
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I think the reviews for this place are a little unfair and over the top, either people are exagerating are more than likely the resort has improved a lot! In which case I think it deserves a more positive review.
We did pay 800baht a night and stayed for 5 nights this was an air con room overlooking the pool and beach (room pool 2) the view was absolutely incredible!! So beautiful. The room was airconditioned and clean. The bathroom was the worst part for me, the door didn't close and we had alsorts of creatures in there, a huge geko (15 inches long) in the middle of the night, giant snails and big spiders. However we backed onto the jungle so it was to be expected, luckily none of these creatures made it into the room!
Food was fine, not too overpriced and tasted great, service was lovely and eating next to the beautiful beach was great.
I can agree with the reviews about the manager, he was an idiot, he just seemed lazy he didn't want to help you with anything, I can see how people are really offended by his humour as well.
Pool was beautiful and the beach was incredible, must have been the time of year but it wasn't rocky as the tide was much further in then the pictures, so we did lots of snorkeling and even swam round to the other coves.
I did get so many insect bites, even with the mosquito net, i did wonder if there was bed bugs, didn't want to think to much about that though!
All in all, for the absolute beauty of the area this place is worth a visit, I'd say bring your own mosquito net and be willing to slum it a little with the bathroom. And just don't bother with the manager, chat to the thai staff or the english bar man.

Room Tip: If you aren't on a budget, stay in the pool villa's otherwise they are all similar.