“Bad experience!”

Ranked #67 of 89 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Beijing, China
“Bad experience!”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This is my first review on Tripadvisor and unfortunately it's a bad one. My main goal for writing this is to help others avoid the same mistake I made by staying at Fantasea resort. Located on Chaloklum bay, a very nice and authentic fisherman's village up north, the bungalows are overcrowded and almost touching each other. We booked the far from delux "delux bungalow" which was totally overpriced, looks big from the outside because of its A shape design but small and stuffy on the inside, no thought whatsoever of usage of space. Old furniture, dirty bathroom, dust everywhere which I had to ask the staff to come back and clean, located on the second row supposedly "ocean view" but two bungalows in front completely blocking it. As it was peak season had to pay 50% deposit by credit card and all the rest in cash on arrival, what a mistake...I wasn't happy with the bungalow to begin with but decided to give it a chance, then a couple of days later asked to leave and checked with the owner how much money she would be willing to give us back and she offered to pay us for one night only (booked 14). Obviously we wouldn't leave and lose so much money. Not to mention while booking we had to pay 1500 baht each for a New Years gala dinner which was compulsory, didn't help that we explained we are vegetarians and no matter how many veggies they cook for us there's no chance in the world it will be worth that amount...The breakfast included in the price was no good. Bad coffee, cheap bread, runny beans, dirty dishes, had our next breakfasts elsewhere. Didn't bother to try their other food. Gave them laundry once, came back messed up with other peoples laundry, did our next laundry elsewhere. The rooms aren't cleaned unless u ask for it, when I did they changed sheets and towels but didn't clean the toilet. I then asked them to come back and do that but they used such an old and dirty mop that left a terrible smell....at that point I decided from now on to ask for anything and not to use their facilities at all...
This is my 6th time in Thailand, I slept everywhere from cold shower bungalows to high end resorts. I know the value I get for what I pay. I have never paid so much (2600 baht on peak season, not worth even half of that) and got so little. I use tripadvisor all the time and never chose wrong. For some reason the reviews before me were good enough so I thought yeah why not? Also was hard to find availability on the island because it was holiday season and I started searching pretty late. Nevertheless, do yourselves a favor, put some more time in the search and don't give this resort the chance I did. Not worth it. Very bad stay.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Haijia1979

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
International
Reviewed November 16, 2013

This is a nice little place with bungalows that start around 600TBH per night. Very friendly staff (ask for 'Sun') and the room was alright if you don't mind it being basic. The bungalows are a bit close to each other so hearing the young neighbours er...well...all the time made it frustrating at times. The beach is lovely and very underrated from what we gathered; probably because of the village and busy boat pier that is nearby. Quite beautiful though. Very, very calm waters so a good spot for swimming or water sports (there is a wakeboarding club nearby run by Damian, an English chap, reasonable prices). There are some excellent Thai restaurants nearby on the other side of the Pier; wish I remembered the names. This is a very quiet area, with several long term foreign residents living the Thai way so excellent if you want peace and quiet. If you're more for the Full Moon Party, this is not for you!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed March 12, 2013

The huts are veeery basic, plenty of dogs around and the owners have the speed of reaction...thai style. But, appart of that, its an amazing beach, an amazing location, an amazing veranda and the food is really good. I'll give it a chance again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Bucharest
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We booked this location because we left it VERY late to look online for somewhere to stay over the New Year/Full Moon party period.

If you are ONLY going to Koh Phangan for the full moon party - I would not recommend staying on this side of the island. It's not a problem getting TO the party, but on the way back be prepared for a 2 hour trip (Taxi's only take groups and will drop everyone back at their resorts which takes a LOONNNGGGG time).

If you aren't overly fussy then this is an 'ok' place to be. Be realistic though - it's not luxury by any standards and you might be disappointed if that's what you're expecting. I gave it three stars because for the price you pay during peak season on the island - the standard is ok.

The area is good because the beach is RIGHT there and very nice for swimming. It is not as crowded as other bays that are close by.

The restaurant is the BEST eating in the area ... and I believe it was the best food I had in Thailand. If it's busy you might be waiting a long time for your meal, but it's worth it - so enjoy the view and don't be in a hurry! :)

We actually stayed in two different bungalows, just because when we first arrived we decided to 'upgrade' for 3 days while one of the Deluxe Bungalows was available.

The deluxe bungalow had a double bed, and then a single bunk bed above it. The beds were clean - but very hard (which is pretty standard in Thailand). The shower pressure was really bad, but the water was hot. We were a group of 3 adults and it felt a bit tight in this bungalow. It did have a tv and fridge though - and when it rained (and we were recovering from full moon) there was an excellent movie channel in English :)

We also stayed in R7 - a beach cottage and we all actually preferred this room! It felt like it had more space - was a bit cooler than the last one because of the tiled floor and the shower was a LOT better. There's no fridge or TV ... but we weren't there to watch tv. The room wasn't cleaned frequently - but we were given clean towels when we asked for them.

Be careful when booking online. To book online we were told we HAD to stay 7 nights and that there was a compulsary gala dinner which cost 1500 Baht each. When we arrived people had negotiated to stay for fewer days, and other people who walked in for the gala dinner paid MUCH less. The gala dinner was more like a barbeque - which I wouldn't have minded if we hadn't had to pay so much for. The meals that we bought in the restaurant were of MUCH better standard and for a fraction of the price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ferrisnz
New Zealand
Reviewed February 22, 2010

We stayed in a little hut on the beach. Hut was very basic, but then you're not there to spend all your time in your room. We were right on the beach, a couple of steps from the water. The hut had hammocks on the deck and was a really nice spot. The Resort was a really good place to eat as well - the food was really good and they made the best shakes I had in Thailand. The people who run it are friendly enough.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple