“Great to Escape”

Awe Resort
Singapore, Singapore
“Great to Escape”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I spent 4 great days at AWE and was on the island to attend a yoga retreat.  I loved the travel by boat from Samui and arriving at the resort I appreciated the quiet location – no full moon parties for me. The island can draw a younger crowd but AWE is a little further out from the party region but still close enough if that’s what you’re looking for. For me I was looking for an escape - Perfect!
Couple of key points from my visit:
1)      Small boutique resort: I loved the architecture/ layout of my villa. It’s not traditional Thai (it’s abundant on the island if you want it) but definitely uses the sun, sand and surf as an inspiration.
2)      Villa: I spend most of life in Air-con so the open plan design with lots of cross ventilation is a plus. On hotter days/ nights there are ceiling fans and aircon if needed. Every night I passed out listening to island life.
3)      Pool: salt water heaven! Not a big lay by the pool & roast person so was happy there was some shade for me to splash about in when I needed pool time
4)      Meals: the kitchen area on the lower floor is great but as I was only there for 3 nights & it was easier to walk along the beach and find a local for eats and drinks.  I think I only used the fridge for water.
5)      Beach: The tide goes out & comes back in but its quiet and I sat staring at it from my room or the pool and admiring Samui in the far distance – memorising.

Tip: My advice on travelling to Koh Phangan is plan ahead and learn about where you going – it will help ease any expectations. Peter (owner) was great in arranging my booking and all went to plan, I was lucky to have him on site during my stay and being the perfect host made sure I experienced the Island’s beaches, food and people. He’s very proud of his place in the sun and deserves to be.
I really didn’t want to leave and could have stayed holed up at the resort but unfortunately life was calling at the end of pier to take me home – till next time AWE.

Room Tip: All the rooms have 2 beds in the open plan second level. I preferred the beach front villa but all h...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank TraveMate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2012

While not huge, the room was easily enough for three of us to share.
The ladies who look after the villas tried hard to help in whatever ways they could, and for anything else there is a beach bar next door which was great.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco
Reviewed June 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Awe Resort for a week, and didn't want to leave. It was quiet, spacious, modern, and felt like we had our own villa. The infinity pool and beachfront location made it feel like we had our own private beach! Peter, the owner was very responsive, spoke perfect English and made sure we had everything we needed. We were easily able to explore the rest of the island, but so happy to return to our private villa at the end of a long day (and night). Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I stayed at this resort with my friend and had such an awesome time (pun intended)! Awe resort is a quaint, private, modern resort that has all of the necessities that one would need, at a very good price! Though we didn't use it, the kitchen was definitely impressive and contained everything you'd ever need in case you did use it. The rooms are spacious with high ceilings and the two large beds are so comfortable! And not to mention, the infiniti pool is beautiful and so perfect especially during the blazing hot days.

The location of this place is perfect as well. Haad Rin is where all the parties are, but Awe Resort is closer to Thong Sala which itself is a smaller but very cute city. From Awe to Haad Rin is about a 15 minute taxi ride which is the perfect distance away from the crazy area.

As the other reviewers have stated, Wan, the housekeeper is definitely one to remember! She was so helpful and enthusiastic every time we ran into her. She was so on top of fixing things, watering the grounds, turning on/off the waterfall, everything! She also has constant contact with Peter, the owner of the villa, so any concerns we had were immediately addressed by her and/or Peter. Her energy was very fun and welcoming from the moment we got to the resort to the moment we left. I miss you Wan!!

If you are looking for a private, beautiful resort to stay at, you HAVE to stay at Awe. It's at the perfect location with a great pool and all of the necessities one would ever need!

Room Tip: There are only four villas which are all the same, so it doesn't matter which you stay in!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
leicester
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed here for 1 week with family 2 kids,the villas and the grounds are of a very high standard,located close to main places all within a 5 min taxi ride.Wan the housekeeper along with peter the owner are really nice people who will make this stay a place to remember.AWE RESORT IS A MUST FOR ALL-FAMILYS AND COUPLES.

Room Tip: Villa 1 is right on the beach
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank bosherLeicester
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Me and my friend (female, mid 20s) were planning our month escape in Thailand and stumbled upon Awe. Originally we thought its a by overpriced, but we wanted to be comefortable since we were going to be there for a month, and saw that Awe had AC, DVD/tv, wifi, etc...

Well, it ended up being the BEST DECISION EVER.

Ban tai beach is literally at your footsteps and we liked the beach since it was I the quiet side. However, there are parties every night on this island and is not hard to navigate to with plenty of parties at night in the ban tai area. The area is a mix of families and other travelers, with more younger travelers around full moon (haad rin beach is about a 20 minute taxi/motorbike ride away).

There is also a kitchen so many times we would motorbike to the tesco or other grocery stores/market and cooked. However, there are many affordable and delicious restaurants/bars within walking distance!

The staff is incredible. The housekeeper Wan took us in like family and we consider each other friends now. She's so funny, has two great young daughters, cleans, cooks and just a great mother figure to have around!

Definitely recommend Awe! You'll feel so relaxed and fantastic knowing you have the best place on the island!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank miteyjen
Vilnius
Reviewed February 15, 2012

Stayed at Awe for four weeks and enjoyed everything: aesthetics of the villas, pool, location, service... Big hug to housekeeper Wan who was nice and helpful like the mother! I navigated all across the island on motorbike and I am convinced Awe are the best villas with the best price on Phangan. There are only two things you need to adopt to: very stiff beds and great looking but not practical outside stairs leading to the second floor. We were at Awe with <2 years baby, so naturally there was a danger of falling from the stairs... Btw, housekeeper Wan recommended to eat at Su's Restaurant (Su is Wan's friend) - cheap and really good Thai food. We were also given Thai cooking lessons by Su and it was a fantastic experience!

Room Tip: Villa #1 is the 1st from the beach, but all 4 villas are literally on the beach. Each villa has one...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Kristijonas_K
photikoe, Owner at Awe Resort, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Regarding the comment on stiff beds, please note that we have since fixed the problem! After this review, we installed eco-friendly, 100% natural latex mattress toppers on our beds. Each mattress topper does not contain synthetic, petroleum-based toxins and is designed to conform to the body. The original beds that we have before the installation of the mattress toppers were hand-made locally using organic cotton. While we strive to make green choices whenever possible, we realize that there is sometimes no substitution for comfort!