“Superb fun and a caring staff!”
Review of Awe Resort

Awe Resort
Reviewed July 30, 2011

I hope that you won't take the previous negative reviews below seriously because I am doing a review to let you know that this place is awesome!

I went on this trip with a couple of friends and we wanted to try something new. When we arrived the ladies (Wan and Pen) showed us to our super beautiful villa and we could not be happier. The design is perfect! The villa has two big beds on the second floor. Free wireless is a huge plus. The rooms were basic but it really has everything that you would need. Wan pretty much cleaned it every other day so it didn't have the chance to get messy.

We stayed for just under a month and during that time we felt very welcomed by the staff. Our friends rented another villa (they met us up after we checked in). Since they are traveling with their children the layout of the resort was ideal for a small family. We had the best time and felt as if the whole resort was ours alone! One of the girls actually followed Mae (Wan's daughter) to school for a couple of days! It was very sweet.

The service was very personal. Wan was on the grounds on all days and we got everything that we needed by just asking her. A very friendly woman who works very hard -- we even asked her to stop cleaning and join us for a drink! We couldn't find our keys one night after Wan went home and Pen was able to help us out because her house is a quick walk from our place. We rented vacation homes before but this was really impressive. They even delivered beers to our doorstep! The location of the resort was very close to town and still very quiet. An ATM is only about 5 minutes walk away.

So we love everything about this place and will definitely return! Thank you for a wonderful holiday!

Room Tip: talk to peter!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 4, 2011

I honestly do NOT understand how on earth Awe Resort got so many positive reviews in the past. Or let me rephrase that because I can actually think of a few factors. To start with the quality of some (I repeat: some!) reviews is simply not the greatest in terms of content. Seriously, if I want to know something about an accommodation I would be really interested in the quality of the resort itself (e.g. amenities) and the customer service instead of “parties”,“buckets of alcohol” and “Thai friendliness in general”.

Besides, there’s a real possibility that Awe Resort underwent a few changes in 4Q2010 on which haven’t been commented yet a lot on TripAdvisor.

By the way: some of the positive remarks from other travellers were about “skinny Andy” and “big Andy”. We met both individuals and second the positive experience totally. Lovely people, honestly! However, these individuals are NOT part of the Awe Resort staff (anymore) which is the reason that they are excluded in the rest of this review.

Please don't get me wrong: I'm seriously happy that other travellers had such a positive experience but personally I would NEVER EVER even consider staying @ Awe Resort again or recommend it to friends, family or travellers.

The good of Awe Resort:
• The owner is extremely fluent in English (maybe native speaker?) and is very friendly. He comes across quite professional and helpful. Both in his emails as well as on the phone.
• Overall judged, the website looks nice and contains valuable information. The work (promoting & engaging text) done on the site in terms of Online Marketing is strong.
• The extra information about Koh Phangan posted on the website is very useful.
• The location is very nice! If you dislike extremely crowed areas than this is an excellent location for peace and relaxation. The resort breaths a cosy and private atmosphere which I found very enjoyable. Really loved the small scale of the resort. Also in very close proximity of the centre and the famous party events.
• Really stunning views!
• Small but nice swimming pool (salt water/no chlorine). Pool has a ‘waterfall’, really nice!
• The maid (lady that cleans the villa’s) is very friendly and has a lovely sense of humour.

The bad and the ugly of Awe Resort:
• We stayed 1 week @ the resort and experienced 7 days of back pain due to TERRIBLE bed mattresses. These were as hard and inflexible as stone! Well, to be honest you can’t even call such cheap low quality “things stuffed with local cotton” bed mattresses at all. Found out that other guests (that we’re also staying there at the same time) had the same issue and did complain..... in vain! And guess what? Previous guests also did complain.... obviously also in vain!
• On a more abstract level of customer service the following. The above shows that guests/customers (for whatever reason) are NOT being taking seriously on such an import matter as sleep quality. Pity and shameful!
• The window decorations are cheap (and ugly) vertical blinds that not only almost fall apart but don’t darken the sleeping area enough allowing almost all daylight to come in. This could influence the quality of the night rest negatively.
• Hygiene: the villa has NOT been cleaned every day. On my request the villa has been cleaned 3 or 4 times. Based on the given information (and the patronizing sign in the toilet) the impression was given that the villa’s would have been cleaned (thoroughly or partially) on a daily basis. For hygiene purposes I ended up taking out the trash (used toilet and sanitary paper) myself on the days that the maid didn’t clean the villa.
• The balance between price & quality is off scale, way off scale. I did visit other resorts to compare prices, location and service (for my next visit). First conclusion: Awe Resort is most definitely overpriced.
• The “caretaker” of the resort (lady that lives around the corner) is NOT friendly, at least not truly friendly. We ran out of toilet paper and I’ve asked her for this item on which she just replied that I had to wait for the maid to arrive later that morning. I had to insist on her arranging something on which she got some tissue paper from her own house. Just a few seconds later, walking back to the resort, I was told by another guest (who saw me walking around with tissue paper) that there was a stock of toilet paper in the storage room next to the pool. But of course, the storage room was locked. I wonder: how on earth is it possible that the caretaker didn’t know about the stored supplies of toilet paper? I walked back to her and requested her to get me some immediately. (Nature called again and I was very sick the whole night because of the spicy food!) She reacted irritated as if I was interrupting her even more this second time, didn’t make eye contact, made a fast pace (almost running) to the storage room and gave me some toilet paper. I requested an extra roll which seemed to annoy her even more.
In retrospect, maybe I did “disturb” her indeed but at that moment my needs as a guest/customer should have been met, by the only contact person available, with a smile instead of an irritated face.
• Furthermore the caretaker was never around. She could have proactively checked after a day or two if everything was all right.
• At arrival it would have been a warmer welcome if for example fresh fruit was available as a gesture or a few orchids were placed here and there. (Of course this is not a must).
• Awe Resort lacks a daily management that is physically present. Apart from the information on the website which is very good there isn’t a contact person on location that is fluent enough in English to inform the guests and help making arrangements (e.g. day trips, snorkelling & diving, car/motor bike rental, yoga retreats etc.) By informing I also mean warning guests of the corruption on the island with regards to e.g. motor bike rentals.
• The information on the website is not up to date and/or misleading. Awe Resort speaks about “our” restaurant which is in fact untrue since the resort does NOT have an own restaurant. The restaurant, which is located next door at another resort has another owner.
• Another example of misleading info regards the term “fully equipped” kitchen. Suffice to say that the kitchens are certainly NOT fully equipped.
• At check-out or hereafter there hasn’t been any kind of proactive follow up what so ever.
• The concept of a minimalistic interior is (on paper or on the website if you will) fabulous. However the execution at Awe Resort is poor, very poor, extremely cheap and of low quality.

This is really pitiful because the resort has great potential. I really truly mean it!!

Unfortunately I can spend my Euro’s only once, just like an accommodation never gets a second chance to make a first impression!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank GlobeTraveler1973
photikoe, Owner at Awe Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2011

I want to thank you for such a lengthy review. While I cannot be sure of who you are, it would seem that you (and perhaps your friend below) were the party that created great damages at my resort and were unhappy that your deposit was kept. You could be someone else, of course, but my staff alerted me of your party since you arrive.
To alert some specific concerns:
The cleaning is scheduled between noon and 6 PM. If you are asleep during these hours, we will not wake you up.
You did bring up some excellent points and I will implement of of those changes immediately. What has changed already: mattresses, extra large toilet rolls and new curtains.

Reviewed December 28, 2010

Such potential at this resort, sad the follow through isn't there.
I was promised a pickup from the pier, but when I emailed peter when I would be arriving, I got no responses to numerous emails. For the price being paid you would expect impeccable customer service. Further to that the website implies having services to assist with tours and what not, this simply doesn't exist. The resort next door however is quite happy to help out, thankfully.
The 'fully equipped' kitchen is anything but, I would take more supplies camping. It didn't even have a toaster, the frying pan was tiny, hardly adequate for frying more than one egg at a time.
The beds were the hardest things I've ever slept on, and I do enjoy a firm mattress. I was forced to go buy an additional mattress for some extra comfort. The guys in the other villas also commented the same. Because of the windows and lack of coverings, I found I was awoken at 6 am with the sun.
There is no cable or wifi on the resort, which is astounding in this price category.

Awe is still a nice resort, with a nice pool and beside the beach, however not worth anywhere near the price being asked. When you book a place in his price range you have certain expectations, they simply were not met. There are less expensive places on the island offering much more.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
5  Thank Canadian_J

I want to thank you for such a complete review.

To be clear, I never once receive an email from you requesting a pick up at the pier, though I did ask for ship arrival details at the moment of the deposit. I apologize if our communication got crossed or if you found the 5-minute taxi ride from the pier too much of a hassle.

The tour guide, and restaurant, is a service shared by Awe Resort and the "resort next door" in your email. The walk between our places are less than 15 steps along the beach, through a nice wooden arch so we think that some services can be shared because we are friends. Please accept my apology of you feel that these 15 steps along the beach is too much work.

We have toasters. Will get some extra frying pans. WiFi and Cable are starting in March!

To alert some specific concerns:

Reviewed October 4, 2010

My Partner and I stayed here for a week and couldn't have wished for a nicer stay. We were very fortunate to have been the only ones staying at the resort so had the pool to ourselves and had a very relaxing stay. Andy who manages the resort is a really lovely guy who is more than willing to help out in any way possible that he can. The restaurant at the resort next door serves great food at great prices and the owners are extremely friendly and very helpful. You can rent a scooter at the resort for pretty reasonable cost and it is so easy to get around the Island from there. Just be carefull to take the scooter back right on time or he will charge you for an extra day. Not alot of money but a little bit painful. Anyways the villa was beautiful and clean great kitchen facilities even though the only thing we made was fruit salad in the morning. Gardens are great and tidy and the pool was a very welcome addition as the beach is not always good for swimming as the tide goes right out. Sunset here is beautiful. A big thankyou to Andy and Tracey for all their help and great service. Sad to think that I will come back here and they will probably not be there. I would definately stay here again, but I would probably chose the same time as I don't know how much I would enjoy it if it was full.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2010

First, thank you for taking care of us man. We didn’t mean to leave
the keys back at Haad Rin! So my mates and especially me had such a
good time here – the ocean was right in front of our villa. You
cannot beat that. The beds were comfortable and the AC was working
all the time. We had a storm on one night that knocked the power out
for an hour and were given candles quickly. Went to Hadd Rin many
days and got back to meet other travelers at the restaurant for the
night. We stayed in for a night or two as well and the quiet secluded
beach was a good change from all the partying. Will for sure be back
on this island and will be back to Awe.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Huge double room with kitchen facilities. Pool for lounging and right on the beach. Great location. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 17, 2010

So we just got back from a 2-week stay at Awe and we had a really terrific time. We thought the location was great -- so close to everything ! We often walked to Tongsala and it was fine if you like to walk, which we do. So many little things to explore around the island from snorkeling and beach hopping kept us busy. Andy helped us arrange pick-up service from the villas as well and the cost of an all-day excursion was cheaper than the trips that we almost bought in Tongsala. Thanks Andy! The rooms are stunning with good design and kept clean. Sheets and towels changed regularly. The bar and restaurant are fun and we met lots of other travelers there. I would recommend this place very much!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends