“Slow boat, small group”
Review of Sun Island Tours

Sun Island Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The oldest and best personalized Longtail Boat Tours of Lanta's Archipelago. Located in charming Lanta Old Town; Discover magical Ko Lanta, Ko Bubu, Ko Ngai and many more. Private charters, 4 Island Tour, Beach camping and Fishing trips. Getaway from the crowds and become a part of a real Thai fishing community.
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Friendly english tour guide, small group, delicious lunch and snacks, ice cold water and beer. Longtail boat is a lot slower than the speedboats, so be prepared for a noisy 2h trip until you get to the first snorkel site. Underwater visibility at high tide was low due to lots of plankton. Snorkel gear is in good condition, boat is quite basic though with wooden benches.

Did the 4 Island Trip, Emerald cave is the real highlight! Sublime atmosphere, but that quickly ends when the large tour boats from Trang arrive.

Would recommend this trip for people who don't mind a long boat trip and prefer a small group.

1  Thank singularity0
There are newer reviews for Sun Island Tours

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Tried to book through the website, no reply. Then emailed, and got a brief email back saying they hadn't got my message through the website (they need to check that then). Said they were full for the day requested. I went back and asked for any availability on other days, they repeated that they were full for the day requested but would waitlist me. One customer lost as I was here for ten days and could have booked for any day. One customer gained by a competitor.

1  Thank Coleyach
Lanta L, General Manager at Sun Island Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Thank you for your review, we appreciate the opportunity to respond.
The customer emailed us directly, so thankfully we had their correct contact details. We responded immediately that we only had space for 2 guests not 4 on their preferred day of travel; we regretfully could not take them out the rest of the week, as we were fully booked with pre booked private charters.
 We are a small company and want only the best experience for our
guests and that includes not over filling our boat, safety is paramount. Please note in the kingdom of Thailand, servers go down, power goes out, signals on mobile phones can go off, this
 is unfortunate and beyond our control.
 We feel a terrible review rating is a bit harsh when we clearly
 state our limited capacity and pledge not to over fill our boat.
We sincerely hope our many other excellent reviews will over shadow this unhappy reviewer. In our small village we don’t think of similar businesses as competition, we look at it as helping our neighbours, it’s the Thai way. We are happy to hear they were able to make the tour they wished with our lovely friends whom we referred them to.
Thanks for giving us the opportunity to respond and we look forward to our 10th season here on lovely Ko Lanta.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Thanks for a perfect birthday together with my family - imagine eating your birthday cake on a "private beach" in the middle of the Thai archipelago, after swimming in the green - blue sea, feeding monkeys with bananas, visiting some caves.... This can all be true with Sun Island Tours!! Thanks guys for a perfect day!!

1  Thank Kenneth B
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is a tiny operation. Susanna runs it and her boyfriend Robbie is the guide on the trip. Minimum numbers required is 4 and the maximum they will take on the boat is 8 which is perfect as never gets too crowded. On our trip we were 6 and all of us got along very well making for an even better trip. The snorkelling was great and going swimming in the cave to get to the hidden pool was awesome and stunning. Lunch was stunning local Thai food and throughout the day Robbie handed us fruit, Thai pastries and lots of water! We had an excellent day out and definitely the best way to do this. Would have hated to be on one of the big tourist boats with 50 other people! We basically had our own little private tour which offered great flexibility!

Reviewed February 28, 2013

This is a tiny outfit. Susanna runs the operation, deals with customers, books trips, and pickup people at their hotels. The company only has one boat, which is skippered by Meow assisted by Kay. Normally, there is a Western, English-speaking guide on board. For my trip, only Meow and Kay. Their English is less than limited but communication was fine, especially since I tried to learn a few Thai words from them. Meow's is a decent size long tail that he uses during the low season for fishing. In the high season, he installs a roof, side panels, and benches so he can take people on these trips. Meow's mother cooks the Thai lunch. I had red curry with chicken, stir fried squids, steamed rice, and cucumbers. The meal was truly delicious, probably better than at most of the tourist restaurants in Thailand.

Susanna picked me up at my hotel on the west side and drove me to Lanta Old Town on the east side. I boarded the boat at Meow's house, right from the front porch. As soon as we set off, I was offered two kinds of sweet Thai snacks and three kinds of fruits. Drinking water was abundantly available throughout the trip.

I booked a private trip to the Trang islands. First stop was a snorkeling spot. Our boat was the only one around. The corals and fish in this area seem better preserved than in the area around Phuket. Then on to a cave, must be Emerald cave. Meow and I swam in. Again, there was no one but us. This must be a rare event because judging from the graffiti on the walls, this place must be heavily visited. Then on to a hong called Morakot. This place is magical. One has to swim in the dark through a tunnel of about 80 meters long. Then suddenly one emerges into a pool of blue green water fringed by a soft sand beach, the whole thing surrounded by sheer cliffs from which hangs a profusion of plants. Again, this place must be heavily visited. As we we arrived, there was a large group of Chinese tourists being towed out on a line, on account of them not being able to swim. The standard procedure is for the guide and his clients to don life vests and swim in aided by fins. The guide wears a head light. Again we were lucky as when Kay and I were inside, there were no more than 10-15 people. But on our way out, we ran into a large group of Scandinavians coming in. Next stop was a very nice beach on Koh Ngai where we had lunch. Meow beached the boat, spread out a clean sarong, and served his mother's delicious lunch. Afterwards, we went to a spot off of Koh Ngai where I did some snorkeling, again all by myself. I think of all the snorkeling places I have seen so far in Thailand, this one is the best. (I hear Koh Rok Nok is great but have not been there.)

After this last bit of snorkeling, we headed back. Instead of taking me back to Lanta Old Town, Meow took me back to my hotel, which is located on Klong Jark beach, on the west side of the island. Just then it started to rain pretty hard. Meow steered the boat to avoid as much of the rain as possible even though at one point it was pouring down pretty hard. Nevertheless, he expertly piloted the boat around the southern tip of the island and back up on the other side. As we got into Klong Jark, it was still raining fairly hard. Under Meow's guidance, Kay rummaged around to find a plastic bag, emptied its content,and gave to me to put my day pack in. They did not want my day pack to get wet! I was floored - I would have been fine with a bit of rain on my gear, no big deal. Klong Jark beach in the afternoon low tide is covered with boulders. But Meow landed the boat at a sandy spot right in front of my hotel.

What else can I say? A great little outfit, a nice bunch of people.

4  Thank sd122