“Tiny but excellent”
Review of Sun Island Tours

Sun Island Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The oldest and best personalized Longtail Boat Tours of Lanta's Archipelago. Located in charming Lanta Old Town; Discover magical Ko Lanta, Ko Bubu, Ko Ngai and many more. Private charters, 4 Island Tour, Beach camping and Fishing trips. Getaway from the crowds and become a part of a real Thai fishing community.
san diego, CA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Tiny but excellent”
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

This is a tiny outfit. Susanna runs the operation, deals with customers, books trips, and pickup people at their hotels. The company only has one boat, which is skippered by Meow assisted by Kay. Normally, there is a Western, English-speaking guide on board. For my trip, only Meow and Kay. Their English is less than limited but communication was fine, especially since I tried to learn a few Thai words from them. Meow's is a decent size long tail that he uses during the low season for fishing. In the high season, he installs a roof, side panels, and benches so he can take people on these trips. Meow's mother cooks the Thai lunch. I had red curry with chicken, stir fried squids, steamed rice, and cucumbers. The meal was truly delicious, probably better than at most of the tourist restaurants in Thailand.

Susanna picked me up at my hotel on the west side and drove me to Lanta Old Town on the east side. I boarded the boat at Meow's house, right from the front porch. As soon as we set off, I was offered two kinds of sweet Thai snacks and three kinds of fruits. Drinking water was abundantly available throughout the trip.

I booked a private trip to the Trang islands. First stop was a snorkeling spot. Our boat was the only one around. The corals and fish in this area seem better preserved than in the area around Phuket. Then on to a cave, must be Emerald cave. Meow and I swam in. Again, there was no one but us. This must be a rare event because judging from the graffiti on the walls, this place must be heavily visited. Then on to a hong called Morakot. This place is magical. One has to swim in the dark through a tunnel of about 80 meters long. Then suddenly one emerges into a pool of blue green water fringed by a soft sand beach, the whole thing surrounded by sheer cliffs from which hangs a profusion of plants. Again, this place must be heavily visited. As we we arrived, there was a large group of Chinese tourists being towed out on a line, on account of them not being able to swim. The standard procedure is for the guide and his clients to don life vests and swim in aided by fins. The guide wears a head light. Again we were lucky as when Kay and I were inside, there were no more than 10-15 people. But on our way out, we ran into a large group of Scandinavians coming in. Next stop was a very nice beach on Koh Ngai where we had lunch. Meow beached the boat, spread out a clean sarong, and served his mother's delicious lunch. Afterwards, we went to a spot off of Koh Ngai where I did some snorkeling, again all by myself. I think of all the snorkeling places I have seen so far in Thailand, this one is the best. (I hear Koh Rok Nok is great but have not been there.)

After this last bit of snorkeling, we headed back. Instead of taking me back to Lanta Old Town, Meow took me back to my hotel, which is located on Klong Jark beach, on the west side of the island. Just then it started to rain pretty hard. Meow steered the boat to avoid as much of the rain as possible even though at one point it was pouring down pretty hard. Nevertheless, he expertly piloted the boat around the southern tip of the island and back up on the other side. As we got into Klong Jark, it was still raining fairly hard. Under Meow's guidance, Kay rummaged around to find a plastic bag, emptied its content,and gave to me to put my day pack in. They did not want my day pack to get wet! I was floored - I would have been fine with a bit of rain on my gear, no big deal. Klong Jark beach in the afternoon low tide is covered with boulders. But Meow landed the boat at a sandy spot right in front of my hotel.

What else can I say? A great little outfit, a nice bunch of people.

4 Thank sd122

toronto
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“this is a MUST!”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband planned this wonderful surprise for my 30th birthday and I can honestly say that this was my best birthday to date! We went on the private tour with the crew and got to experience and see some amazing things that we would not have gotten to see without Lanta Longtail.
Thank you SO much to Robbie, Captain Meow & Kay for making my birthday so unforgetable! You had my husband and I smiling the whole time :) Thank you to Susanna who helped my husband plan everything, the extra thought of asking about food & beverage preferences as well as the birthday cake was a great example of how they all went out of their way to make this such a great experience. I would highly recommend this tour to any & every one!!!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank parkeepoo
Hannover, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“best trip ever”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

The “legendary” 4-Island Tour was the highlight of our round trip in Thailand. We were just three couples on the longtail boat and the atmosphere was really familiar and pleasant. At first Robbie took us to the amazing Emerald Cave. Since we arrived there early the cave was not that crowded as it was when we left. After snorkling on a fantastic reef we had lunch on the beautiful island Koh Ngai. After the delicious meal we went to an other snorkling spot. All in all it was a wonderful trip and we wish Susanna und Robbie all the best for the future!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Farang2012
Odense, Denmark
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“This is it!”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Wonderfull longtailtrip with Robbie to islands for snorkeling and visiting Emerald cave. Much better than the big tourist boats with hordes of tourist. Personal trip with max. 8 people in the boat. We had a very good and tasty lunch at a beach.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Jorner
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“beyond all expectations”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

susanna and robbie made this trip beyond amazing! rainy weather loomed in the distance so they took us to a dry spot to wait it out. and when it cleared they were able to adjust our departure so we hit the emerald cave just after all the tour groups left, and had it all to ourselves. we also enjoyed a fantastic catered lunch full of an assortment of homemade thai food. i honestly felt like they were old friends who i hadnt seen in a while. by far the best island tour option on lanta.

Visited October 2012