“Amazing food, super friendly staff.”

Lanta Thai Cookery School
Ranked #3 of 7 Food & Drink in Ko Lanta
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Where you get the deep knowledge of Thai Culinary Cooking! Started 2006, with the same main teacher, Aon. Outstanding skills,+40 years of Thai cooking experience. We do 3 classes per day, 7 days per week; Morning, Afternoon and Evening, all different programs. You as a part of the group choose what dishes to make, individually you choose type of meat; chicken, seafood, prawns, vegetarian and for some dishes beef. Everything is done individually, from first cutting to spice level etc. We also do Private classes and longer classes for professionals and amateurs, where you can learn practically every existing Thai dish from someone that know how to do it! Veggies, Herbs and Spices from our own garden (mostly), Freshly squeezed coconut milk and curry paste made on the premises. Everything done in our Classic big Thai Teak house, all designed for as a Cookery School in a quiet area of Prae Ae. Two-way transport, welcome drink, cooking book, coffee, tea and water is included. Many other drinks for sale Very Welcome to an experience above the rest!
Reviewed June 22, 2013

A friend and I, decided to do the dinner class. Since it was low season on the island, it was really only the 2 of us having a private cooking session. Pea, the chef in charge, was very helpful and super friendly when explaining the different herbs that were all grown and picked directly from her garden. We ended up making Golden bag with Thai sauce, spicy papaya salad, Seafood in Tamarind sauce, and sticky rice with Mango. All of it was absolutely delicious! At the end we were very happy to have done this class and extremely full with all the food we had made.

Highly recommended!

Reviewed June 19, 2013

very good experience, very good teacher who speaks well english. The dishes are great, I really advice it!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I went to the morning session and had a great time. The staff were so friendly and attentive. I cooked the Pad Thai, green curry, chicken cashew nut and green curry paste and all were delicious dishes that I can't wait to cook again at home. The kitchen overlooks the owner's herb garden and mountain so was a bonus for me. Definitely give them a go. Tip: don't eat breakfast before you go. So much food!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We did the morning class, we were picked up right on time and headed out to the class. My partner and I were the only ones there, which was good because we got to choose what we made. We had a lady teaching us and she had great English and was able to explain all of the herbs and offer substitutes for back home. We did all the prep first and she showed us how to chop everything.

She explained about her garden and showed us where each ingredient was growing ( I suggested after the class that it might be good to take people around the gardens first to pick the herbs)

We did have to write notes on every dish in our books, which was good because you could write it in your own way, but hard to keep up at the same time.

Each dish tasted delicious and was served straight after we cooked it- there was too much food so we got doggy bags.

We really enjoyed the class and can't wait to make some of the recipes at home.

1  Thank jesslaird
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

I fully agree with and second Misswildchild's review from Feb 2013. My summary:
- Nice location, great looking and tasting dishes
- Instructor's English is minimal, seems he would rather be doing something else (rushed, no explanations or background into anything, not even when asked a specific question)
- No one in our group learned why we were doing what instructed: why cut lemongrass diagonally? I believe it is important to fry the curry paste for the taste (which we did in coconut milk), but that wasn't explained. Etc. the only interactions are peel this, chop that. While cooking, the instructor adds other ingredients to the wok sometimes without mentioning what they are, much less why.
- We finished more than 100 minutes before the scheduled end time; when a person in the group asked if we could cook the fried banana recipe for desert (a bonus recipe above the four promised), the answer was "no banana". When someone else asked what we would cook in the remaining time, the answer was "everything clean now". As we started simply chatting among ourselves, we were gently then more forcefully made to understand that it was time to go (even though it wasn't).
- The "recipe books" to take home is actually a photocopied pamphlet with the list of ingredients from the dozen or so dishes out of which the group picks four to cook. The steps to cook the dish are missing (you're taking the notes for the ones you cook).

Disappointing. And a rather significant cost by Thai standards (100 THB less than a full day of speed boat, snorkeling, great lunch and fruits at Koh Rock more than one hour by motor boat away).

Our hotel recommended this one above Time for Lime because they are Thai (more authentic), it is more hands on. They say "TfL is better on the theory". I won't try so can offer a comparison of my own.

1  Thank PacificBlackBird