“Terrible management (poorly trained staff)”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Phra Nang Lanta

Phra Nang Lanta
Ranked #40 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Bangkok, Thailand
“Terrible management (poorly trained staff)”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I just checked out of this hotel today. I also work in a hotel business and all i can say is this hotel gave my family and I a nightmare experience. My summary for this hotel is big room, good location, very poorly trained staffs, poor management = NOT recommended.

I bought a package voucher for my family (3 people) 4 months earlier, which includes rooms for 2 nights, 1 dinner, half-day spa in Waree Raksa, and a round-trip airport pick up. Below are my experiences on the hotel's poor management.

1) Airport pick-up
(To the hotel) i told the hotel to pick us up from another hotel in downtown Krabi. The hotel said the van would come pick us up 8 am to go for a spa, which is too early for a whole family who share 1 bathroom and need a breakfast, so i bargained to change the pick-up time to 8.30 am and to stop for at the market. The staff said no for both issues, she claimed that the van needed to up-up other people as well. My family got up very early that day and was already prepared and checked out at another hotel at 8 am. By 8.15 am., i called the hotel about the van. The driver said he would come for us at 9 am!!! When he came, the van were full with hotel staffs and he was surprised to see 3 people. He said he was told to pick up only 2. When he put our luggage in the back of the van, he pushed my mom's seat (back seat) so hard several times without saying sorry or anything. (and my mom is 53 year's old) Moreover, he stopped at the market when other guests asked him to!
(From the hotel) the staff at check-in counter and i agreed that we would leave for an airport around 12pm. I thought she understood. Then she called to our room to reconfirm the time, and rudely reply me when i asked if we already discussed this matter.

2) Dinner
When we checked in and saw the menu for dinner, i already told the staff that we would like to change from a curry with beef to pork, since we don't eat beef. The staff said it would be no problem. But when we actually sat down for a dinner and i asked to make sure if it was really pork. The staff had to go back and ask the chef. He came back with a disappointing answer that it was a BEEF curry.

3) Broken light bulbs
After we found out on the first night that the light bulbs were broken on 3 spots, in the morning of the second day, we told the staff to get them fixed. After we came back from a day trip, we found that a light bulb was still unfixed.

4) Unhelpful staff
From my hotel experience, hotel staffs should be like ghosts when you don't need them, but should always be there for you when you actually need one. For this hotel, it is the opposite. There were many staffs at the hotel but they were never at the front desk or anywhere we could find. Once you find one, they would always be a trainee who could not help you with anything.

These are only examples, we had experienced so many unprofessional services from this hotel that we will NEVER recommend this place for anyone. :(

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Kwan_Sinthu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I enjoyed our stay here, but felt at £70 a night it didn't represent very good value for money, the rooms are nicely decorated but looking very tired. There were lots of gaps and holes around the bathroom shutters (no windows) there wasn't any curtains, only bamboo blinds on part of the windows. This means that when the sun is up so are you, which is fine if you got an early night only the live band at why not bar goes on until after midnight and sounds like it's on your balcony.
This wasn't a problem as we were either there or somewhere else until late, but a lie in was sorely missed, maybe take an eye mask.
The beach outside the hotel is very rocky, walk up the beach a bit and its fine, the pool is small but nice. Breakfast is good.
Kantiang is the nicest part of Lanta in my opinion, as an alternative to Phra Nang try some of the new villas you can rent, or if you can stay here for nearer £50 a night it could be worth it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lee_Kel_123
Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I was at this hotel on 31 Oct 12, end of low season with my bf, we booked online just 5 mins before we arrived however it seemed that in low season, we better deal direct with hotel to get almost half price Y_Y sad for me and my pocket.

The hotel is on Lanta Yai island which is tourist destination and there are many hotels ranging from 0 star to 5 stars. The hotel is by the beach, situated next to Pimalai resort: the best and most expensive hotel in this area. The beach is so rocky and it seems that all beaches in the area are rocky, not suitable for swimming (for me). We stayed here only 1 night since there is not many things to do on the island, luckily we drove our car transfering by ferry from main land to Lanta Noi island then cross to Lanta Yai island. The government is working on the project to build a bridge to link between Lanta Noi & Lanta Yai island now. Hope we can go back again using this bridge for our next visit.

The hotel has about 15 rooms, all studio & suite room type and every room faces to the beach. My room is studio type with balcony, day bed and big shower room and bathtub. Room decoration looks nice however the bed is quite hard, not sleep well at night.
I love the design of this hotel as there are many electricity sockets, more than 5 available in the room for my phones & computer chargers. Also there many hangers and hanging points for guest in the shower room and dressing area. There are holder at the shower area nad the toilet area for eldery people (I assumed by myself).

We had breakfast which is over expectation, the hotel provide buffet style breakfast even it was small area but they provided hot station: egg, ham, suasage, bacon, bread station, corn flake with milk, tea & coffee, juices. These covers one meal for my breakfast.

Even the hotel is small but it is a great place to stay when you are on Lanta Yai island.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ireland
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Myself and my boyfriend have been to lanta twice, we stumbled upon Phra Nang Lanta on our first visit and decided we must stay there on our next trip. We booked in for four nights and ended up staying just over a week. Our room was truly perfect facing directly onto the beach. The standard was really excellent and I loved the decor, all rooms have a quirky style to them, very spacious and stunning bathroom. To wake up to that e ach more was pretty special. The staff were always friendly and it had such a chilled out relaxed vibe. The breakfast is good, not fantastic but good, still couldn't complain. Hotel isn't big at all so it's so peaceful. The best part about this review is we loved it so much we are going back again in January hope we won't be disappointed cause I loved every minute of it last year.

Oh can't forget the village itself is lovely very laid back food everywhere is fantastic yummy :) try the drunken sailor that's an absolute must for it's curries and smoothies and hammocks and beanbags to chill on. We hired mopeds and went up and down lanta and we truly believe you won't find a better spot!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kelly060
wales
Reviewed September 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed in this wonderfull hotel in mid August. We found our room 1st class, the food great and the staff hospitality was amazing. The manager was helpfull and full of local knowledge and he helped us in any way he could. Please don't come here and think your going to stay in the Ritz, its not a 5* hotel.
If you wan't a crazy, cute, cosy, small, caring, personal, clean, comfortable, friendly hotel at a great beachfront location you will be very, very very happy here.
Thank you for your hospitality, we really enjoyed our stay with you. Just wish it could have been for a few more weeks.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lazearound
Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

What can I say! The staff are amazing, location perfect. Monkeys well....cute from a distance, the locals are so helpful. Get away from it all and come here. 100% relaxing. Drift off to sleep in the hammock with the sound of the sea providing the atmosphere. Rooms are a lovely mix of modern with original features. Enough wildlife to keep you occupied. Gets a 5 star recommendation from me.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank OWhite100
Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here on three occasions and each time loved it. Peace tranquility lovely friendly staff beautiful beach perfect can't wait to come back We stayed in 2008 2009 and 2010 each time we stayed for longer and didn't want to leave perfect place to chill and leave the stress of work behind easy to pick up trips and tour around Lanta. Easy to get to saladan ans night markets and perfect for walking up the beach to other reststraunts great for families and couples thank you phra nang lanta.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Janet T
VacationVillageTH, Manager at Phra Nang Lanta, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear Janet,

We love to see you again and again!

And thank you for being loyal to our brand, vacation village which Phra Nang Lanta is one of ours. Your return has given us a sense of success whilst there is a lot of accommodation choices you can choose from.

We are deeply glad that you enjoy staying with us and that is our ultimate goal!

We look forward to welcome you again soon.

The Management