“Quaint rather than exotic”

Kantiang Oasis Resort & Spa
Ranked #25 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Australia
“Quaint rather than exotic”
Reviewed April 14, 2009

Ancient realm is a nice place, owners are truly lovely people who try hard, but a few problems we had spoiled our stay. Firstly we were there in the dry season but when it did rain our little bungalow became waterlogged. Water poured down the walls, inside! Each time it rained I had to move all our bags onto the bed as it was the only dry part of the room. I hung some clothing over the bed head to dry and when I went back to check it was wetter than when I started as water had come down the walls. Outside bathroom poses a problem during rain. Colour drains off the thatched roof straight into the toilet, so the whole toilet is brown and a pool forms a couple of inches deep. Cant wipe the seat with the toilet paper, as that has turned into a big ball of soppy tissue. And whats with the shells on the steps? They hurt! I know they look cute but they are sharp. It rained a few times during our stay so it was uncomfortable. Couldn't complain as owners were nowhere to be found. I know everyone is waxing lyrical about how great this place is and I don't want to sound like a spoilsport but normally I am pretty easily pleased. At over $100 a night I did expect to at least stay dry. If these few issues are ironed out I am sure I would come back again.

1 Thank RosieMeadows
AncientRealm, Owner / Manager at Kantiang Oasis Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 15, 2009
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review!

I am very sorry for the inconvenience caused with your roof during the rain period. I was away for your stay, so what could have been solved in 5 mins, was not, and for that I am sorry that this issue upset your stay.

We are an eco-styled resort, but we still incorporate safety and protective measures within our structures. We have 2 protective layers underneath our thatched roofing. One is sheet metal for fire safety and durability, and the other is weaved thick plastic for air and water tightness. We had strong winds and rain in February, which affected three to four room roofings in our resort. The wind had pulled the plastic protective layer in between the frame and the thatching back a few inches, so the rain seeped in a little down the inside of the wall, not towards the outside of the wall and into the garden. We have checked and rechecked all rooms now, and yes, the problem has been solved. Some long staying guests that have been staying with us for four months now had some small leaks on the wall in their room, which we solved also. We could not do many regular maintenance checks in their room, as they have been here for quite a long period now, but they kindly told me and we assigned a staff member to make sure everything was ok....

Actually, just to be sure, we are replacing all of our thatched roofing in our resort at the moment, so we don't have a problem with any small leaks, and also simply because it looks GREAT! The natural roofing is actually meant to last about a year or so longer than it did, but this last high season has seen some quite unusual weather. I have been here for many years now, and this was by far the wettest high season - but now it looks like we will be in for a really good green season!

Thanks for your suggestion, and I just wanted to assure you that we are on top of things already!! The rooms are fine now, and with the new bright golden colored thatched roofing in our resort, the place looks even better!

So, I guess we may see you again sometime soon, hopefully!

P.S. Quaint is also a good descriptive word for a small eco boutique resort. Thanks :-)

Best wishes,

Clint.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Thai first
Nederland
Reviewed April 11, 2009

In advance read many good revieuws on this resort which is more than true!
The negative experiences that people have not stayed fixed in this resort. Whether these people are very spoiled!?

The Rooms:
The rooms / vila 's are fully equipped. Upon arrival it was decorated with beautiful flowers. TV / DVD, large fridge and large bed. The outside bathroom was also a very nice experience.
And one important point: everything was very well cleaned every day.
After a short break to ko Phi Phi we arrived for the 2nd time at this resort. That felt like home. And the big surprise was a free up grade to a very large room, with private computer, banking and private garden. Really a dream for us!

The food
The breakfast was great every day. You could each day choose between different things. (Eggs, yogurt, cereals). and ofcourse if you wish toast, fruit juice, fresh fruit and real coffee!And all at a table on the beach .... Enjoy every morning again!
Eating the resort restaurant was very tasty and a good price. We have eaten almost every day in the resort itself.
A tip: the restaurant right next to the beach resort is also very worthwhile.

The resort
The resort is very attractive. Beautiful tropical gardens, lights at evenings etc. There is a very pleasant atmosphere.
The staff is very friendly and does its very best. Not all of them speak good English but they will make you feel like home.
The spa is also very good. We had a romantic package automatically and free massage programs. They are highly recommended.

Tips:
At the resort you can easily rent a moped. Do that, it's very nice to have the island Island exploring .In near the resort are many small supermarkets that are on foot to reach.

I can still do a lot more about this resort but we have summarized had a super stay. We therefore recommend this resort to everyone

4 Thank bestmayo
AncientRealm, Owner / Manager at Kantiang Oasis Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 16, 2009
Hello!

Thank you very much for your outstanding review!

I am glad you enjoyed every aspect of our resort, and really enjoyed your stay. It pleases me even more that you enjoyed it even better the second time you came back! What is also great is that the upgrades we are doing are working!

I also agree with you that if there are some minor issues during some guest's stay, these are usually ironed out within minutes if an issue arises (if us owners are on site), or within a very good time frame if need be. Things never stay constant here, and we are always updating and improving the resort...and yes, we are here nearly 99.99% of the time, so it would be great to see you again sometime soon!

For future guests, please see our website's guest book, which has up to the minute updates, upgrades and (very, very quiet) renovations that we are doing all the time to improve our customer satisfaction and overall quality to price ratio in our resort. Past guests and future guests alike may be pleasantly surprised at some changes!

Thanks again for the great review :-)

Vienna
Reviewed April 10, 2009

We did our booking for that resort due to the good rating on tripadvisor.com.
After enjoying many resorts in the same price-range in Thailand in the last couple of years we have to say that this resort is by far the worst we did stay at.

I want to review our stay step by step:
Booking procedure:
We did contact the resort around the New Year; emails have been answered fast and satisfying. We have been promised, that they will allocate a nice room for us in their resort, but the bungalow 2310 seemed to be not the best choice.
Half the price was paid during reservation, half one week before arriving, that's fair.
Having a look what we really got for the prices we paid (one week at 15561 ThB) we have to say, that that price is much too high.
Neighbouring resorts told us they give to their guests a 30% - discount due to the lack of guests.

Upon arrival the welcome was friendly; we have been introduced to our bungalow.
A fruit platter was given, however it wasn't fresh. Probably it was standing the whole day in the bungalow instead of the fridge. Inner and out lamp were not working, we have been promised a repair the next day, but until we left they did't.
The bungalow was inside so dark that you cant even read a book (even if all lamps would have worked).

Next day started with the breakfast vouchers, that's really embarrassing. You can choose between one cup of tea or instant coffee. Sugar and a spoon were served only in one of seven days. And then American / Yoghurt / Cornflake or Continental breakfast, we
have never been so limited in breakfast at our vacations, esp. in Thailand.
Btw., the breakfast tables were most of the days very dirty from previous
guests.

Looking around the resort we were shocked, the Jacuzzis were empty
and dirty, the beachfront on the resort consisted of chairs which have been
cleaned the last time a long time ago. It seems other guests didn't stay
at the resorts beach as well, the broken chairs, closed umbrellas, the
surrounding area wasn't inviting at all.

Beach towels were available, but always only after searching a clerk (at least between 9 am and 10 am).

Next, at the homepage of the resort is written:
"Computer and Internet facility in Reception for FREE day and night use!"
In real, at 8 pm the computer nearby the front desk was shut down and
closed in a cupboard.
Usually guests go at daytime to the beach, and after dinner they want to check the internet, their emails, weather... Here, you have to spend your daytime for that.

Renting a bike was at a fair price of 1000 ThB for 6 days.
However, when we asked for a tour to Koh Rok for snorkelling we have been invited to join with VIP discount for 1500 ThB per person instead of 1950 ThB, at Saladan nearby we have been immediately offered the same trip for just 1100 ThB, without VIP discount.

In the resort we didn't feel Thai hospitality, staff was always 'head
down', never heard "Sawas dee krab/kaa, how are you?" etc.

Bungalows have been cleaned daily, but only very basically, if you look
closer everything was dirty, like windows, aircon etc. Bedclothes weren't
changed within seven days. If keeping in mind that you don't have two
chairs in the bungalow and therefore are forced to spend your evenings on
the bed than this is unacceptable. And bedclothes have been even with
brown sports upon arrival. Further, we did see a couple of cockroaches in
our bungalow.

Shampoo wasn't provided at all. Showering gel was given only the very
first day.
Some paper in the open air shower was lying around until we left.

Most of the facts we describe are confirmed by pictures attached to our
report, if someone is interested we can provide even more.

All together we have been disappointed in any respect. For the same
amount of money you can find much more value in Koh Lanta.

5 Thank tigrenok
Hello,

Thank you for your review. I am going to be extremely honest. Even with a few issues during your stay, I don't really think that our resort deserves a "1 star". There are so many things that could go wrong on a holiday or stay in a resort that would warrant a "1 star", that I have seen on tripadvisor before (such as robbery, arguments, injury, insults, etc), but I am not sure if the circumstances surrounding your stay make us qualify for a "1". This is just my opinion of course, and maybe I am taking it to heart a bit, but please allow me to retort.... I am going to answer your review step by step....

After receiving this review I think I see a pattern emerging here... It seems that whenever we (the owners) are away, things seem to go back to lets how shall I put this.... jungle nature a bit.... Lucky for our guests, that we never really get the chance to do this often (we have served over 2000 guests now, with maybe a handful of negative responses), so as you can see, we are here to help very much 99% of the time. I also think rain might have been an issue during your stay, also ;-)

It was Suki's birthday last month. We had not been anywhere for a long time (as some other reviewers/guests can attest to...no holidays, no weekends, no public holidays, no nights off, nothing....not that we are complaining, we love our job..but everyone needs a break...especially with what had happened previously this year, politically, in Thailand). I decided to take her on a trip around Thailand for 10 days. She works extremely hard everyday, and she deserved this.

When we got back.....

Yes, the whirlpools were not on. The pump had finally had enough of people washing their feet in the whirlpool water then going to the bungalow (not the other way around!) and had broken. We sent the parts away to Trang, and in typical Thai style, we were told "tomorrow" by the pool company. Needless to say, it arrived back about 13 days later. The whirlpools are now functioning again, if people wish to use them. They did a great repair job.

When we returned, we also dismissed a member of our staff who was responsible before for a number of things mentioned in your review, and other recent "not as good as we would like" reviews. Breakfast duties/cleaning, sunchair cleaning, beach cleaning and restaurant chair placement were his jobs. I know to some people this might seem like an easy job to do, and would probably not warrant one staff member to "specialize" in this (!), but as one could see, this is quite an important thing for some. The said person has been removed from our team, and duties have now been shared by the rest of our staff. They did not mind at all, the staff want things to keep improving...it is beneficial for everyone. At the moment, we are still having a few troubles with keeping sun chairs clean and beach tidy, as the rains were STILL coming (getting much nicer now), and it is very high tide at the moment. But, yes, this problem has been rectified. We are thinking of also putting sun chairs into the guests' private gardens now, for high tide times...

Breakfasts were also improved around mid March, shortly after we returned, and will only continue to get better, once we can count costs for the month, and find more ways to source product and make our breakfasts better. Please see other reviews regarding this. This has been improved now. A big thanks to everyone (especially our recurring yearly guests) for their suggestions.

We also returned with boxes upon boxes of light bulbs. We use only 11 - 13 watt Toshiba energy saver compact fluorescent light bulbs throughout our resort, to save energy and the environment. We have hundreds of light bulbs in the resort, and we will proceed to keep replacing them if need be. We can only buy these from Krabi town (2 hours away), and we do, because the Toshiba range shine the brightest/last the longest. My engineer is replacing some now as I type this.

My engineer will also of course close umbrellas if there is wind and rain, and I am told there was A LOT when I was away. Lucky I missed it, not so lucky for the guests this time.... Guests can open umbrellas if they so choose. BTW, just to ease potential travelers' minds... when it does rain, it does absolutely hammer down, but it only lasts for short bursts, and will clear up quite quickly. Not to worry. We have had quite a lot of rain/wind in southern Thailand this year (very unusual, global warming?), and it has torn apart our natural thatched roofs on the sides a bit also... We are replacing all roofing in our resort now, one by one, and the finished product actually looks much nicer than before. Much to my surprise. We are now using a slightly different thatching with a higher "thread count". New pictures posted soon.

I am sorry if your room cleaning was not up to the standard normally set. I will have to look into this matter. I was not here, and I am very sorry for any inconvenience caused. About the small piece of paper in your bathroom area... I am not sure on this one.... Normally, as I am sure you have read before, cleanliness is a big issue with Suki and myself, so we don't normally have this issue. Our rooms are also sprayed daily with bug spray, Mortein brand, green can (we are on a jungle island!). Room cleanliness is a top priority in our resort, and 99.999% of the time it is definitely served this way. This matter will be dealt with swiftly, I assure you.

To your other comments:

Our fruit platter is made fresh for guests before their arrival. We cannot guarantee the quality/maturity of the fruit 100%. As much as we would like to taste test it, we cannot do this of course for hygiene reasons.

Beach towels are free. Yes, please ask a staff member for one, and return it to them. Thank you. I have also bought many more just recently. They are dark blue.

Staff were instructed to make sure the computer was closed at 8pm while I was away. I am the network administrator, and it is my responsibility to make sure our computers are working, new RAM/motherboards/power supplies/fans are replaced when the islands electricity power surges or fluctuates during occasional storms at night, to make sure our fast wi-fi is on 24/7, and the land line internet and battery back ups to the executive suites are stable. Last night, one of my very valued guests needed some help with his laptop, so we opened the computer area back up at 10:30pm to make sure he could copy his data before leaving. I am not sure if "most guests" follow your rules of internet usage timing (I see people on the internet all day long), but if future guests would like to check late at night for any urgent reason, please contact a staff member and ask for an owner/manager. Again, this is a free service to our guests, as is the free wireless internet provided for smartphones/PDAs/laptops/netbooks.

Thank you for mentioning our payment methods as being fair. Please also note the very high drop in other currencies' values over the last months. For example, what would have been 60 - 80 AUD in our resort when I set the prices last year in May to remain very competitive, somehow now equates to 100 dollars or more! Most people this high season booked our resort last year before the currencies plunged, so it either did not affect their room rate so much, or maybe only the final payment. I have also noticed now that with new bookings people are paying in full (not the 50/50 option), probably because of uncertainty of their home country's currency. I have adjusted all our rates now for this current season, the green season, and also the next season due to the financial crisis and currency/market fluctuations, to an even more competitive pricing. Especially green season, which is our "recession buster" rate!

If a small number of other resorts were giving discounts at this high season time before because of lack of guests, then that is there prerogative. I wish them the best of luck in getting back to good occupancy rates after the political issues last year. But, this has nothing to do with our resort. We were very fortunate to have had quite an OK occupancy rate during your stay (mainly from previous years guests, longstayers and word of mouth customers). I really do hope people see those problems were localized and that Koh Lanta is a fantastic destination for everyone!

Also, I read through our emails, and I can agree that you asked for good placement. However, I never personally "promised" this to you. Whilst I did answer your other questions efficiently (thank you for mentioning) such as why I could not at that time give you a discount (other guests were paying the same rates) and when the final payment was due, I could only provide a room to you what we had left allocated in our database. We did not have any Beachfront Villas available, and I could not provide an upgrade at that period of time. If you were here now, I would upgrade you for sure!!

Please take the time to read through some of my comments. I have re-read your comments and really do wish you had a better stay with us, but I hope you also see my side of things :-) I hope I could clarify a few things for you and for other members reading this.

Thanks again for taking the time to review, and best of luck in future travels,

UK
Reviewed March 15, 2009

We stayed at the ancient Realm in Feb this year and enjoyed it but did not loved it
To Keep it short, good points:
Suki is very nice and helpful
We had a good price/package with our room
Food price/drinks are reasonable
rooms are basic but clean

The place could however improve on the following:
Having the bungalows a bit modernised
Take off the shells on the outside bathroom stairs as you can really hurt your feet by walking bare foot on them!
Definitely invest in better loungers as the current ones are very basic and not comfortable
Breakfast was definitely not worth it
Have mosquitos nets in bedroom or plugs available as we got bitten alive!

Also, if you leave your stuffs on the beach, be careful with the dogs from next door camp as we got our stuffs "attacked" while we were in the sea, and were not very impressed with this!

I know the overall comment sounds negative, but we did enjoy our time there, but I would probably not stay 4 nights though as there is not much to do..

Also, few tips when getting there: we could not pay less than 100 bt for the tuk tuk from ferry to hotel
For ferry, be careful they all talk to each other and all charge you the same price so make sure you have a nice boat as some are quite rough

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank traveller2511
AncientRealm, Owner at Kantiang Oasis Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 17, 2009
Hello,

Thank you for your review.

I have checked your public member profile, and could see that you usually stay in a higher class resort than ours...such as Hilton or Holiday Inn, so I am glad that you still enjoyed our boutique resort, and gave us a respectable level of stars in all fields!

We have taken your comments into consideration, thank you very much.

The breakfasts have been improved now, and we will be adding small details throughout the next week also (writing as of 18th March). Suki had tested (and received good feedback...) this new breakfast style with a few guests previously, as you can see in the last review, and now we will be rolling it out across the board, with new additional items for all different nationalities coming very soon (such as wholemeal breads/croissants/exotic fruits..etc.). This breakfast will also apply to our longstayers and discount package guests. We have guests from all over the world come and stay, and people have different tastes, of course ;-) I can see a lot of people from the UK like to have a big breakfast! :-)

There is a small buffet style counter now set up for breakfasts with drink and fruit refills also, to supplement the American and Continental Breakfasts....and soon we may expand this to more "all you can eat" items in the future....

....With this addition, we will of course still keep our inexpensive prices, and good value accommodation ;-)

Thanks for staying,

Clinton .
West Midlands
Reviewed March 10, 2009

Things didn't get off to a great start, when there was no one there to pick us up from the ferry, despite this being arranged only the day before by phone. However, when we finally got there after getting on a tuk tuk with 2 suitcases, it was in a lovely spot ,and Suki who was on reception was very friendly and welcoming. The beach huts are very basic but nice enough, and the outside bathroom was a bit of a novelty, although it wasn't quite so nice using the shower or toilet when it was raining. The breakfasts started to increasingly irritate me throughout the stay, the cooked version was always a bit cold, and the toast barely toasted, despite repeated requests to toast it for longer. Eventually we took to having breakfast elsewhere. The beach towels were always a hassle to get, were tatty and stained and didn't look very clean. The beachfront area too, wasn't very inviting, with dirty old sun loungers seemingly dumped on the sand. Most days we spent further up the beach, using other places loungers and beach bars, which was a shame, as it could so easily be made lovely with a small amount of care and effort. The staff were all nice and friendly, but overall, the half-hearted way everything was done, took the edge off it for us really, a shame.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jackflash64
AncientRealm, Managing Director at Kantiang Oasis Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 10, 2009
Hello,

Thank you for your review.

I can see that there were a few small issues during your stay, so we will do our very best in the future to make sure these small niggles are all ironed out!

We went from not many people dining in our resort with the previous restaurant team, to a massive increase in guests using our facilities. This was after management took back control of the restaurant and bar, when we introduced our new "nothing over ninety" baht menu, the big new cocktail selection and new coffee machines and coffee variety. So, it was probably quite a big jump in workload for our staff.

Not to worry, we are working hard to ensure everything is currently running smooth, and I have employed more staff to make sure this happens. I know a few small niggles can disappoint on a well rounded experience, so the minor things you mentioned can and will be fixed!

Regarding the sun loungers... we do not have any rules when it comes to where you want your sun lounger positioned. We line them all up in a row in the early morning time, and normally by mid morning they may be scattered all over the beach, as people want the best position to tan. As we have a very wide 63.5m of beachfront, they can be all over our beach front! By mid afternoon, if people have taken their towels away (which the staff then know they are not in use), they will be placed back into their original allocated position, cleaned off and presented in a row under the umbrella area in front of the beach massage huts.

The beach towels are provided free of charge, and again there are no rules as to how long you can have them for/take them where. I will be introducing an exchange card (with room number) system, as we have found that they are sometimes not brought back to us in the way they were presented, and also sometimes people take them on their scooters to other beaches or out diving, or on tour boats. I am sure a card system will rectify this situation, to make sure all of our guests are happy.

P.S. I have just bought many new towels.....for future guests...all pool towels are dark blue, are you can pick them up from the bar :-)

Thanks again for your constructive criticism, and I hope we may see you again some day!

Best Regards,