“Lovely stay”

Ranked #13 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Grenoble, France
“Lovely stay”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed in the hotel for 3 nights in January 2013. The hotel is a bit far from the city so you need to rent a scooter if you want to go there (to the city). The hotel is great, the room was specious, clean and comfy, not too fancy. they have a nice swimming pool and a GREAT beach. The breakfast was very rich !!!! We went for a one day snorkling (made the reservation at the front desk) - it was GREAT !!!
The hotel has a big private beach where you can find 2-3 nice restaurants where we ate dinners, not very cheap (to Thailand) but it was good.
Only when we got to the hotel we understood that they have a pick-up service from the port to the hotel (free - upon arrival) which was not mentioned when we booked the hotel (booking.com) so they promised us a free pick-up to the port (which we didn't need because our boat ticket to Kho PHI PHI included a taxi pick-up to the port - we bought the ticket at an agency near the hotel).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Finnish first
København
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is for sure a very well run resort with a good atmosphere. We travelled with children and felt all very welcome from the very first moment. The staff is extremely friendly and as a guest you are met with both great warmth and hospitality.

The bungalows are very fine. We stayed in a garden cottage which was pacious and clean with good and huge beds. The breakfast was also very good. And the massage and spa is a real plus about this place (though it is a little pricy compared to other places on the island).

Still there is a little bit of but seen from my point of view. The restaurant serves OK food but looks more like a cafeteria than a restaurant. Its so big and with so many tables and so few people to use them. But it is possible to eat at nearby "Noon", "Same Same But Different" (both a short drive away), and "Last Beach Resort (just down the beach). But it is a shame that you don't feel more like staying at the resort for dinner and lunch.

In connection to that you could mention the fact that the resort has put white plastic sun chairs on the beach. It's no big deal but it just adds to the impression of a place that needs a little bit in the detail to be an absolute top resort.

What I am trying to say is that I needed a little bit of x-factor (could have been som hammocks, a better use of the beach - (maybe a beach bar) and a more intimate restaurant to top rate this place. But having said that there is nothing to complain about, and if you are looking for a quiet, remote located beach, and a well run place with good rooms and nice staff this for sure is a great option.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BenjaminMunk
Stittsville, Ontario
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband and I ended a lovely 5-1/2 week holiday with 4 nights at the Anda Lanta Resort in January. I must say that our first impression of the hotel was one of disappointment. Firstly, we had just come from a hotel on the other side of Thailand that is one of the "Small Luxury Hotels of the World", so this was definitely a bit of a come down. We had a cottage set one row back from the beach cottages, and it has definitely seen better days. In general, the room and property were just very tired and run down looking. There were cracks in the walls, the bathroom has obviously been re-designed so that one now must walk across the shower floor to get to the toilet/sink (which when one us had just showered, proved to be a bit of a hazard as we were walking across a dripping wet shower floor to use the toilet!), there were absolutely no amenities in the room (other than shampoo and soap), no hair dryer, no lotions, etc. I do not necessarily expect all of this in a hotel stay, but in this day and age, it is rare to come across even the most basic of hotels that does not offer these items. And there was no safe in the room - a first for our trip, and something that we definitely would have appreciated.

Now on the plus side, there were large and very accessible safety deposit boxes in a room off the lobby, so we just said goodbye to some of our valuables and locked them away there at the start, but I am not comfortable not having a safe in my room for every day, easy use. The room was kept spotlessly clean, and water bottles replenished daily. And as time went on, the room grew on us. The bed was very comfortable, the air conditioning perfect, a drying rack was provided outside the room for wet bathingsuits, etc.

The hotel is located quite far from anywhere, which was fine - we enjoyed the seclusion of the location. It was quite full while we were there, mostly with families with young children. We managed to get pool loungers all but one day, and that day we went to the beach, found chairs, swam in the sea, and wondered why we hadn't done that right from Day One - much quieter and more peaceful. It was mildly irritating that some families managed to "save" loungers for themselves, not only at the pool but at the beach, even though some of "their" chairs sat empty for much of the day.

Breakfast was included at the Anda Lanta, and I wish I could say that it was great, but sadly, it really wasn't. The buffet didn't offer up much selection, and by the time we got there about 9:15 - 9:30 each day, if something had been consumed, it wasn't replenished. We found the buffet foods to be lukewarm at best - although they sit over bunsen burners, they are not kept covered, so there is no hope of much heat being retained. There is, however, an omelette station, so we were always able to avail ourselves of a hot, cooked omelette. Breakfast closes at 10:00, and make no mistake, you are not expected to linger beyond that time. At 9:45 - 9:50 each day, the coffee pots are actually unplugged, so if you are after a second cup, you'd better get it before it too gets cold, and I had to ask daily for more sugar for that second cup as everything has already been put away, or at least, not replenished if the sugar bowl is empty.

We did eat dinner at Anda Lanta the first night we were there, and it was actually very good - nicely prepared, served hot, and the service very friendly, as it was throughout the hotel. However, as with most hotel food in Thailand, we found it to be quite expensive compared to prices in small, local restaurants, and chose to dine elsewhere for our remaining 3 nights. There are a couple of small, friendly beach establishments along the beach that were quite good and more in line with what we had come to expect of Thai pricing.

We did enjoy the beach at the resort - while not overly long, it is quite lovely, swimming is good directly off the beach, and there is even a little snorkelling to be done along the rocks to the right of the hotel.

I hate to write negative reviews, and as stated earlier, this resort did grow on us. It was comfortable, clean, the staff were very pleasant and helpful and we had a relaxing stay there. We talked to a couple of other guests who were loving this property, and my intention is not to put people off staying here. It has many positives. However, this is a tired hotel in need of some serious upkeep. It has the potential to be very nice, but as it stands now, it wouldn't be our first choice of a place to return to.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lovesthesun-7
West Midlands
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Loved this hotel. We had a beach villa and the view every morning was beautiful. Walked straight out onto the beach which was always quiet. Not a lot to do around the hotel, there was an elephant camp over the road which we didn't visit. There are a few lovely bars along the beach which do good food. The Last Resort bar was lovely for an evening meal sat on the beach under the stars. Sunset Bar at the end also did a lovey very cheap meal and good cocktails and was a great place to watch the sunset.

We hired mopeds out one day and visited the Old Town which was definitely worth a visit and had a look round the National Park where there are plenty of monkeys roaming around!

We also did the 4 island trip which we booked from the tourist info down the beach (next to Last Resort Bar) as it was cheaper than the hotel. Definitely recommend this trip - speedboat collects you from the hotel beach and you get to see some lovely spots and stunning beaches. Emerald Cave was worth a look - you swim through a cave which opens out into a lovely lagoon.

Hotel staff were all lovely and let us use their phone free of charge when we needed to arrange flights to our next destination.

All in all this hotel was amazing and my favourite part of Thailand. If you stay try and get the beach villas as you couldnt have asked for a better placed room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tm87
san diego, CA
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Klong Jark beach is almost at the southernmost end of Koh Lanta. One or two more beaches and one hits Koh Lanta National Park, which occupies the southern tip of the island, complete with a light house and two deserted beaches. While Klong Jark is not as remote, it is still fairly hard to get to. At least 30-40 minutes drive from crazy Saladan where the ferries dock. On my last day, the transfer van to Krabi airport did not even pick up from Klong Jark. The hotel drove me to the next beach up, Ban Kantiang, to catch it. And it took a solid three hours to reach the airport.

On this beach, there are three place to stay: The bungalows attached to the Take It Easy bar, the bungalows of Last Beach Resort, and Anda Lanta, which is the most comfortable and 'luxurious' place. I use quotes because if one expects a five-star resort like one finds throughout Southeast Asia, one would be sorely disappointed. The people who built this resort probably asked the question: What is the minimum level of comfort needed to enjoy this wonderful place? In answering this question, they came up with the prefect compromise. I was in room 503, on the upper floor of a small 4-unit building located at the northernmost end of the bay. It's large enough to be comfortable, equipped with a balcony and outdoor furniture, air conditioning, a more than decent and spacious bathroom, and a refrigerator. That's about it. There is no telephone to call reception. You need something, you walk there - after all the grounds and gardens are so pleasant. There are no toiletries in the bathroom, no rarely used knick-knacks like sewing kits that simply add to the room price. The fridge is empty. There are a few shops in the area where one can buy stuff to put into it. There is not even a pen and a notepad. Even the quality of the construction achieves a kind of balance. No fancy, expensive materials (e.g., marble and rare woods) but enough to keep the place clean and comfortable. The walkway from my room to reception is simply poured concrete. In a 'real' 5-star resort, it would have to be something fancier, perhaps flagstones of some sort.

For me, that was perfect. That's all I needed to enjoy the unbelievably beautiful and most importantly, deserted beach in front. The sand is soft and clean. I am not much of a beach walker, I judge a beach by its 'swimmability', yet I found myself walking the beach at least twice a day, before breakfast and at sundown. As for swimming, I swam across the bay and back once a day during the whole time I was there. The water was clean and its temperature perfect for swimming.

A few words about the 'neighborhood'. Right behind the beach is almost the National Park. There a couple of rubber tree groves and two elephant riding vendors. I went on a ride one early morning. Only 30 minutes up the hill through the jungle and back down again for 700 BHT, which is not cheap but considering how much upkeep these marvelous animals require, there is no choice. Across from the resort's entrance, there is a new-looking convenience shop for things like bottle water and snacks. But there is no ATM in sight. Ban Kantiang is the closest place for one. One day, I rented a motorbike from the hotel (250 BHT per 12 hours). Traffic in this area is light so it was pleasant riding slowly around. I went to the beach south of ours. Another resort there but it doesn't look as comfortable as Anda Lanta. The highlight was the visit to the National Park (200 BHT entrance fee). Next time, I will bring my gear and snorkel in the rocky bay on the west side. Must be lots of fish there. Again, the place was almost deserted the whole time I was there.

A few words about food. I only ate breakfast at the resort and this is where they are at their weakest. The food is barely adequate. The Thai dishes are hit and misses. Western food are OK, nothing special. Baked goods are to be avoided. Even the fruits are sometimes below par: Some days the pineapple was a bit too green. But I am being picky, the food is definitely good enough to fill me up before my swim across the bay. I ate dinner and lunch at two places on the beach: the Take It Easy bar / restaurant and the Last Beach Resort. Both offer fish BBQ every night but the quality of the fish and the cooking is better at the latter. Also there, one can sit right on the beach in order to avoid mosquitoes.

The service at Anda Lanta is competent and friendly. I emailed the resort before arriving and they sent a car to pick me up at Saladan pier. No charge. The cleaning staff quickly noticed that I kept the two water bottles they provided everyday in the fridge. From that point on, they put the bottles directly into the fridge for me. On my last day, they knew that my departure time was 10 AM. By 9:30, they had dispatched a bell boy to wait for me in front of my room. He carried my suitcase down, carted it to the reception, and loaded it on the SUV to Ban Kantiang. The SUV driver transferred it to the airport van. I never had to touch it until Krabi airport.

Klong Jark bay and Anda Lanta re-assure me that there are still places worth going to in the Andaman sea of southern Thailand.

Room Tip: I find the Deluxe Sea View rooms to be best. High above ground to avoid insects, best price for the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank sd122
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We loved Anda Lanta resort and would highly recommend it – as long as you like to be away from it all in a quiet and open space, and can eat at the same place consistently without getting bored.
The thing to know is that it’s about half an hour from the Koh Lanta pier south to get to Anda Lanta. Then you need to hire a scooter or car if you want to get out by yourself or pay 100 Baht each way for the hotel car to take you to a local restaurant.
The beach is stunning and there are only a few other places with guests to have to share it with. It was delightful to go for a post breakfast beach walk and be one of about 8 people on the sand. So swimming into the sea was like being a special guest of the sea spirit who invites you to be his precious inhabitant. (Sorry to wax so poetic but it was just lovely and unique!)
The pool was lovely too, with two smaller pools for little children so the adults could swim with pleasure.
My husband and I had a Cottage in the garden towards the back. The room was large and dark and peaceful – you couldn’t hear a noise during the night once the geckos had said goodnight.
The bed was luxurious and the bathroom and fittings were fine. The TV didn’t work but we didn’t go there to watch TV.
We thought some of the rooms at the front would have been exposed to constant people walking past and looking at them so we were happy to be up the back.
The wireless internet was off ,more than on, but actually worked best in the room where you need it.
The breakfast was a terrific buffet – especially compared with other places we stayed where we paid a lot more. The staff are happy and helpful. We ate our first lunch in the resort but then ate at the “Take It Easy Bar” to the left up the beach which had a great seafood barbeque most nights. The “Sunset Bar” at the far left of the beach was cute and the sunset view great but the food was just ok.
We got the resort car to take us out to dinner at the “Same Same But Different” restaurant over the hill and up the road. Wished we hadn’t! They were booked out but had lost our booking. The service was really bad all up.
We scootered back into the main town our second day so that we could book for our dives with Dive And Relax which is an excellent dive centre which has its office at Castaways Resort. As we walked through the small and close together cottages at Castaways we were very glad to know we had our spacious Anda Lanta resort to return to. We were even gladder when we saw how crowded their beach was and how shallow the water at low tide. The Anda Lanta Cove always had enough water to get immersed into.
We highly recommend Anda Lanta and would be happy to return!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We have stayed with Anda Lanta twice, the first when trying to find a venue for our beach wedding, we were so impressed with the relaxed atmosphere, quiet setting & fantastic staff that the second and most recent visit we returned with 50 guests for our actual wedding!

Of all the places we stayed in Thailand, Anda stood out. Anda Lanta was the first place that actually felt peaceful, calm and safe. No touting, nobody trying to take advantage, no fuss. Just bliss! From the minute that you arrive, you are greeted by friendly & attentive staff, cold towels and a refreshing drink. Your bags are taken to your room & you can start chilling straight away if you like.

We wanted somewhere clean, quiet, as private as we could get, honest staff, rooms to suit a range of budgets & needs, good food. Anda ticked all those boxes and on the week that we actually arrived- they exceeded all our expectations. Helping us with decorations, creating new cocktails & drink concoctions (the bar staff are hilarious & good at their jobs!) tolerating the crazy requests of an almost bridezilla! Considering they had never had a wedding before, they did very well.

We stayed in a superior room & a beach villa, and had a good nosey in the rooms our friends & family stayed in. We were very happy with our accommodation, the rooms are a good size, the beds were comfy, we could get extra pillows if we needed them.

The staff are the best thing about Anda, nothing is too much of a bother, they are honest & work hard to make sure you have the best time possible. We had such a diverse group travelling with us, with a range of complicated demands & needs! The staff worked above & beyond to help and support us. Anda Lanta doesn't usually offer weddings at their resort, but with a great deal of guidance & support from a local wedding planner (Layla @ Lanta bliss) they created our perfect day, and a week of absolute relaxation and fun for all of our friends and family.

The ladies in the spa were amazing, they are a bit more expensive than elsewhere, but if you don't want to leave the resort it is so lovely to have such a good option right on your doorstep.

We enjoyed the range of food on offer and were really impressed with what the chef was able to offer us for the large group meals that we had- delicious curries & fresh fish BBQ! He created dishes to request and had a range of ideas & design to make the meals really special.

Our rooms were always cleaned to a high standard & any maintenance issues were quickly sorted. The manager Jerry is a great guy who obviously cares a great deal about his staff team and guests, we cannot thank him enough for helping create an awesome holiday & wedding.

Room Tip: The bars further along the beach are perfect if you want a more lively change of scene of different...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple