“Friendly spot”

Ranked #16 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
cardiff
“Friendly spot”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We had a great 4 days here as part of my 40th birthday celebration.

Having stayed in a few bungalows right on the beach front earlier on in the holiday, it was initially disappointing in that respect. However there aren't many places right on the beach here and it had a pleasant garden and the beach was literally a minute's walk away anyway so it worked out well. You could also walk up and along the road to find many bars and restaurtants.

The beach itself is pleasant, plenty of room to find a quiet spot which we did most days and had a very relaxing lazy time

It was good value for money and had a nice little bar. The hosts were exceptionally helpful and friendly. They gave great advice and were nice to talk to and make the place what it is. It was a pleasure to stay there.

The air con in the bungalow seemed powerful although I don't think the gaps in the door leading to the bathroom helped it's efficiency. The bathroom itself was average but did the trick. The bed was a bit on the hard side so have a few beers before bedtime to help initiate slumber

Oveall a lovely stay and recommend to anyone looking for good affordable accomodation

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
DiverLis, Owner at Mook Lanta Resort, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Thanks Angillo for your lovely review, I always said the Welsh were lovely people ;-)

You are right on so many points, we are seconds from the beach, which really isn't a problem for most people and we have the best little sunset bar nearby. We are close to many many bars, restaurants and shops on the beach and in the village itself.

I am glad you found us helpful, we do really try to ensure we make your stay a good as possible.

Mellisa & Nick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We had a wonderful relaxing week in The Mook Lanta: We had booked a 'VIP' 2 bedroom villa and a normal villa and were made most welcome by the English owners [particularly Melissa] who made it really easy to have a good time by being prepared to organise any trips/visits/bike hire etc:

OK - if you like chocolates on your pillow and a 'soul-less' big chain hotel then this isn't the place for you - but if you want a place to be made to feel 'at home' and be able to totally 'chill-out' in comfortable rooms where you can sit on your personal veranda and watch the sun go down, then this is perfect!

Location excellent, with the beach on your doorstep and restaurants and bars within easy reach [try Mr Wee's and the Red Snapper - for good food in great settings!] :

I'd really recommend the Mook Lanta and would certainly use it again:

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Alan P
DiverLis, Owner at Mook Lanta Resort, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Thank you Alan for a lovely and honest review, we really try to impress on people that we are not a 5 star resort but we are a lovely 3 star resort with basic accommodation in a good location with awesome staff, beautiful gardens and we, the owners, want to do everything we can do, to make your stay enjoyable. Hell there is nothing worse than miserable guests!

Make sure you come back again!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I stayed here for about 2 weeks and can highly recommend Mook the aircon rooms are really nice large bed fridge all you need with a balcony you can use. As for the shower it is not outside like some reviews say it’s a wet room which is part of the bungalow, you room is cleaned daily.
The whole resort is very clean and the staff are nice.
The owners Nick and Melissa can not do enough for you and will help you with what ever you need booking trips, onward travel etc they really do care and have lots of local knowledge. I had a puncture on my bike and Nick came and picked me and the bike up how’s that for help and going the extra mile
As for noise which some people have commented on I must admit I never noticed any you are near a road and the beach and at night noise does travel but as I said I never noticed any
The bar has some locals and friends of the owners they make you feel welcome as well you feel like you are staying with friends.
I would genuinely recommend this resort I have travelled a lot in Thailand and this really is one of if not the best places I have stayed in.

As for some of the not so good reviews people have put up well it just proves you can’t please everyone and that some people are not happy unless they are moaning

I can’t wait to stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Hi Mike

Thanks for the lovely review and thank you for clarifying our bathroom situation. I think, judging by what some people say to me when they arrive, that they are expecting to be showering in our garden in front of the other guests and nothing could be further from the truth. Our buildings are wooden and in the humid climate here, enclosed bathrooms would start to have a mouldy smell!

So our bathrooms are open for a few inches at the top, no one can see you but it means the rooms do not become damp and smelly. Personally I love the freshness that this provides to the room.

Hopefully see you back soon

Nick & Mellisa
Germany
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Great resort at Long beach with clean, nice rooms (fan or aircon available, hot shower).
It's a 2 minute walk to the beach at a quiet part of Long Beach. Far away enough from the main town to not be bothered by the noise, but still close enough to get there easily whenever you feel like it (10 minutes with bike or tuk-tuk).
The owners Mellisa & Nick are always there for you and can organize trips (diving, island-tours) etc.
In the evening its nice to relax at the bar with a cool Leo beer.

Highly recommend!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
DiverLis, Owner at Mook Lanta Resort, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Ah my little Ralfy, an absolute pleasure to have you stay with us and I really hope you do it again.

Missing you loads

Perth, Australia
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We stayed in one of the air conditioned villas and it was a great base from which to see the rest of Koh Lanta.

Mook Lanta is nestled in between the beach and the main road, so there's always something to see or do within easy walking distance.

The service from the whole team was the highlight, the best we'd received in Thailand. Thank you! We loved the relaxed vibe of Koh Lanta, so we'll be back again!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
DiverLis, Owner at Mook Lanta Resort, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Thanks for such a lovely review, it was great talking to you about one of my favourite places Western Australia and I hope we have the chance to do it again.

Kindest regards

Mellisa
Queensland
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in one of the fan bungalows, and it was definitely very rustic! We did have an enjoyable stay, and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is really good - tasty and substantial, unlike some other places we've stayed. The location is good - close to the beach but in a quiet spot.

We did have a few issues with the room. Nearly every night we had at least one large cockroach in the room or bathroom. It would be nice if they put rubber seals at the bottoms of the doors to prevent them getting into the bedroom. The mattress was very uncomfortable, as you could feel every spring. A soft foam topping would solve this problem. Lastly, window screens would be nice (although they do have mosquito netting for the bed). This resort was difficult to rate - the exceptional service really made a difference!

• Stayed March 2014
Hi Wanderer

Thank you for the review, I think all your comments are very fair and accurate.

This low season, we are investing in some softeners for all the beds (this was our first season and money was short this year) as it is something we know is important. Regarding our little friends, I think the rubber is not a bad idea, so I will look at that, but I will reiterate that it is very important in Thailand never to keep open food in your rooms, ants and cockroaches have unbelievable powers of smell!

Glad you loved the service we try our best and I hope you will return next year to test out our new softer beds!

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here in jan 2014 for about 30$ aud per night. It was a basic room (no AC or hot water) but comfortable. We were a bit close to the bar and needed earplugs most nights. It wasn't overly loud, or busy, but the sound of conversation seemed to carry a fair bit, and the thatched roofs weren't exactly sound proof. The place included breakfast for us (though check when you book, as it didn't seem to be the case for everyone). It was about 100m walk to an average beach, nice for morning and evening strolls, but not that great for swimming. The resort also hired out bikes for the standard rate of 25 baht/day. The staff were nice, made some good food recommendations (try may's kitchen, up the road) & also organised a dive trip at, what we think, was a reasonable rate. We might have done well to shop around, to save a few bucks, but the trip was good and the company reputable (called andaman dive, I think). The location was also good - food, bars, beachside massages are all in walking distance. And everything on the island is accessible by scooter. Overall, it was a good stay, made better by the island itself, which was our favourite of the three we visited.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Myles

Glad you enjoyed your stay and yes, we are always really concerned about the noise from the bar, so we have a rule in place which means it has to shut by midnight at the latest. Most nights the bar is closed by 9pm and only has a few guests but occasionally they get rowdy!

I am glad you found our advice useful, we try to only recommend things and places that we would actually do ourselves.

Mellisa & Nick
PS next time you come back, remind me about the noise and I will situate you further away and keep all the revelers quiet ;-)