“Lovely staff and comfortable rooms”

Kantiang Bay View Resort
Ranked #156 of 217 Specialty Lodging in Ko Lanta
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We were actually in Phi Phi when we decided to go to Koh Lanta and went to book the ferry and the lady mentioned this resort to us. She said we would love this resort and showed us all the posters on the wall from previous people saying how much they enjoyed this resort. After booking this resort for 3 days and then looking on trip advisor we were a bit dubious with the negative comments. On arriving at this resort we found the staff to be very friendly and our room very comfortable. We were on a budget and these rooms were very adequate, clean and comfortable beds. The staff were very happy to help us with anything that we asked of them. I would recommend this hotel, we did not pay a lot for the room and were happy with it. If you want a flash hotel you have to pay more than what we paid. We booked for 3 days but decided to stay for 6. The hotel is right on the beach and the sea is beautiful.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank oliver48
There are newer reviews for Kantiang Bay View Resort

Reviewed February 12, 2014

We stayed 5 nights, there and if we hadn't paid, we would have left earlier.
First the pictures do not match with reality. The room we had was small, infected by bugs ( ants,cockroach...) the bathroom was dirty, the sheets were unclean.
Second point, the staff was rude and unpleasant; the reception hall was crowded by the family staff members, lying there all day long. They had nothing to do with our eventual requests. The restaurant service was catastrophic ; no smile, long wait, rudeness from the waiters ...
Third point, if you want to relax DO NOT GO THERE!!!! the only bar in the area is there, so you have live music (bad music, and unvarious ) every single nigth.

THE ONLY GOOD POINT was the location (restaurant near by, good beach) and the food was good.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank charles_regisse
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is honestly gross! Sooo dirty I had to sleep in my own sheets and shower with shoes. Also the reception area is full of trash and animals and all the staff and their families lying all over the hotel. Bar was decent and beach was pretty(but there's many nice bars and beaches around ko Lanta) ko Lanta is such an awesome place and that hotel ruined it for us!oh and no hot water-even though they say they do have!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Kelitagoldin
Reviewed November 25, 2013

The best thing going for this hotel is that it is the most reasonable hotel on the beach in Kantiang Bay, Koh Lanta. I stayed in a Garden View Bungalow. It was basic but spacious and did indeed have a very nice view of the garden. It was far enough away from the bar that it was quiet at night.

I came to dive for three days but an unexpected post season monsoon put a quick end to that plan. No one's fault there, but I did spend more time at the hotel as a result.

The food is mediocre at best and there are much better restaurants within a five minute walk. I would suggest the Drunken Sailor for a great variety of fusion-inspired breakfasts. Rampong, a new addition to the area has a fabulous young chef who does some unique turns on southern Thai classics. I will review both of these worthy restaurants later.

The worst part here was the service. My room was never cleaned in four days, despite putting out the room makeup door tag. In the restaurant, one is repeated ignored. The staff would rather stand off to the side smoking cigarettes than do what they are getting paid to do.

Kantiang Bay is a great part of Koh Lanta. This is not my first nor will it be my last visit to the area. However, it will undoubtedly be my last visit to this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Rude, obnoxious, intimidating staff. We are two young girls travelling Thailand and have never been more disappointed. We were planning on staying here for 4 nights to relax ... The photos and description do not match this place and for the price we paid we could have stayed somewhere much nicer. We paid for a beachfront bungalow and we received a shady room at the back of the resort full of Mosquitos and doors that didn't shut. We were told there would be wifi in the room (very important for two young females to stay in touch with home / plan further accommodation) there was poor signalled wifi access in the restaurant only. We were promised a safe in the room ... This was not applicable. We decided to leave this place soon after we arrived trying to compromise about a refund ... This is where the fun began ... They could not see our point of view and became extremely threatening. We (with every right) told them we would be keeping they key until our stay was over if they were not to give us any money back, they threatened us that they must take our passports and began to follow us ... We had 7 Thai men surrounding us on mopeds whilst others drove to nearby taxi companies blatantly telling them either not to take us elsewhere or to tell them where we had gone. Overall this was not what we expected from a so called 'luxurious retreat' extremely disappointed and a total waste of money.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed for one night only, canceled the originally three nights reservation.

Location; beachfront in kantiang bay, a 5min walk from restaurants and convenient store. Koh Lantas most visited and famous beach bar called the why not bar, with live band on the actual resort.

Facilities; bar, restaurant and travel agency. Rooms in top of the bar and restaurant and bungalows.

Room; stayed in one of the so called fan rooms on top of the restaurant.
Worn and dated rooms, very sterile looking and with a window facing a wall, with bathroom, only furniture in the room are the beds and a ready to fall apart closet, Beds are comfy and clean though.
Noise from the bar until 2am was ok in comparison to the noise of the kitchen staff starting at 6am, and the fish smell…

Value; 600baht night in low season is hefty for the standard compared to other hotel deals in kantiang bay.

Room Tip: I'd stay in one of the beach bungalows, or in a actual resort in koh lanta.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jo W
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I had a great time staying here. The rooms were decent, insect free (a big plus after encountering six cockroaches at once in my bungalow in Railay!), and air conditioned. The resort is located right on the beach, and the restaurant is a wonderful place to enjoy some food while watching the waves. Nearby there are helpful businesses such as 7/11, a few Thai massage parlours, and of course the awesome Drunken Sailors and Pad Thai restaurants. The best part of my experience here, however, were the staff, who took the time to get to know me personally and even show me around the island. The fellows at Why Not Bar were particularly friendly - they learned my name and were happy to see me there. I felt like I was their friend, not so much their patron. The bar owner even drove me to the animal shelter when I told him that a taxi would be too expensive - and the only payment he asked of me was to hang out the bar that evening. Will definitely be spending more time here next time I'm in Thailand and highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo