“Fun eco resort”
Review of Relax Bay Resort

Relax Bay Resort
Ranked #12 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Atmospheric and fun resort booked as the first stop off on our tour of the region with Andaman Sky Adventures. Loved this place, particularly the beach, the eco-green bungalow design, the Thai food and the evening atmosphere round the friendly and laid-back bar.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Wow, what an amazing hotel. You really do feel that you are staying on a tropical island. The bungalows and tent house (we stayed in both) are built into the jungle. They are perfect but you are not looking for 5 star luxury.. if you want that go somewhere else (but i guarantee you will not be as relaxed!) The beach is really secluded and although I don't think it is a private beach it feels like you are the only one on it. The restaurant and bar are open air and the food was really really good. They catered for most tastes and we dined here about 6 times and had something new every time and really enjoyed. Ko Lanta reminds me of what Phuket would have been like before it got too commercialised.. It has a real laid back feeling to it. If you are looking for a very relaxing time this is the place you need to go. For me it was a great break from the real world and will definitely be back!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smccor_2007
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I tend to read all the reviews prior to booking, and consider the negatives to see if they are a genuine concern for myself. Relax Bay had a number of negative reviews which did concern me a little.

However, I found none of them to be an issue and in all cases saw no examples of them. Specifically the food was great, we were there for the New Year and the variety and quality of the food was excellent. The staff were very helpful, polite and jovial, especially Maen (not the correct spelling).

'Wildlife' was there in it's abundance, it is a jungle setting, which is made very clear….things live in jungles…we saw one very large lizard run across the path, but based on his pace he was clearly more frightened of us than me of him….we did see two cockroaches, but these are native in the jungle, we saw a few ants/termites, but not in our rooms, we had a small frog in the bathroom one night, the amazing this was how he got in…..but again, he lived there as well….we did see one very large snake but that was not in resort, it was near the Muay Thai stadium.

The room had a mosquito net so if all else fails put it up….

The location is idyllic and the comments about not being able to swim are completely unfounded, yes there are rocks but they do not invade the area, in fact snorkelling around them is amazing..

very open mind and try and make sure I know what I am getting for my money, Relax Bay Resort was everything we could have wanted….especially with a cold beer watching the sun set, there are very few better situations that this….

I am sure some will disagree, but we look for different things in our holiday….and as for WIFI is weak in the room……Grrrrrr you are on holiday, either relax or talk to someone….rant over :-)

Room Tip: we stayed in an AC Bungalow, it is a little more robust than the more rugged fan bungalows….
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Apinnick
jardinparadis, Owner at Relax Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Hello sir, What can i say. After having to answer to 2 bad reviews, .... big mile and Thanks. Makes my day good again.
alain

Reviewed January 4, 2014

hi,

I don't normally write reviews when I am still staying in a place but felt moved to after reading some about relax bay.

I wonder if some european visitors are judging certain aspects by european standards? Complaining about damp/mold/termites while staying Ina bamboo structure on a sub-tropical island is a bit like saying I would have liked the Bordeaux region if it wasn't for all of the vineyards.

We are only recently arrived and would have a few v minor quibbles - but the setting is great, staff lovely and food fine.

It's a relaxed vibe - like the name suggests - and we don't mind sharing with a few termites.

Will probably write a fuller review after we leave but really enjoying so far and would almost certainly recommend to friends,

Thanks - Josef

Room Tip: Try the front - sadly we couldn't get the bigger bungalow we wanted
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Josef22
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

I wanted to like this place, I really did. I ignored some negative reviews, taking them to be harsh, but should have listened.
This "eco resort" reeks of a place resting on the laurels of its location. The bungalow was tired and felt dirty. The bed was uncomfortable and offered only a sheet to sleep with. The walls are very thin leaving a conversation at the adjacent bungalow to keeps us awake, not to mention the bar above the resort that played VERY loud music until the wee hours of the morning. The restaurant is more expensive than average for mediocre food, but you will eat there anyway because it's more convenient than getting to the next one. The service is poor, even by Thai standards. The beach is fairly secluded and not very busy but often has garbage strewn about it or around the grounds of the resort. But the worst part is probably feeling like you're being "nickel and dimed" so to speak...for things like 90THB for the use of a beach towel. Better value, better beaches, better food and BETTER VIBE elsewhere.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Weeknd8
jardinparadis, Propriétaire at Relax Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Hello,
Sorry to hear you calling us Meh. So let me defend myself.
Bungalow tired and dirty: we paint our bungalow every year again, and again and again. Just to avoid this type of comment. The beds in Thailand can be hard yes, and we are in the process of changing the mattresses. We do have in stock some small softer mattresses which we can put on top of the old one, in case some person finds the bed too hard. Remember: others like to sleep on a hard mattress. Suffice to ask at reception. As to the dirtiness: I haven’t seen it, but I do trust my housekeeping to clean the rooms. But it’s a jungle and they too can forget or have a lazy day. Its after all an far far away island in a far far away country. Hopefully we never reach the standards of Europe, because then, well then we too, would need to go in holiday to de-stress.
The walls are very thin: Yes , I do agree. It’s a Bamboo resort. But the music you are speaking off, did not come from our bar, which we purposely close early. The music came from a party organized by the city and situated a 2-3 km from us. This is Thailand, you cant do anything about that.
Price of the food; with all respect, but just go out in town and eat at normal restaurants, that is, not at a street restaurant. (which surely serves good food). If you do that, you will see that our prices are very, very reasonably. Actually , compared to the same type of establishment we are cheaper. Add to that the location (our rent is also much higher) and you realize that we are not expensive. We do offer a nice balance between price and quality.
Garbage strewn around? We have gardeners who supposedly clean the ‘public beach’ every day. If there is garbage as you say, then its left behind by the tourist themselves and you have seen it between 2 cleaning sweeps. People even leave their dirty diapers on the beach ? and we clean them.
90 THB for the beach towel. You pay this 90 THB, (about 2 euro) once and you can bring him back every day and get a new one. The price was installed because to many customers think that the towel is theirs to take home.
alain

Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

This review is only about the restaurant. Extremely bad service. Indifferent staff who does not take initiativ or use commmon sense. They ruined our evening of celebration. We had to wait very long for menus. Then even longer to order. Then the waiting really began to get Serious. The children were served last of all. Wrong food and late. No excuses and no compensation etc. Will never set my foot here again and recomend you do the same.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Hello sir, I do apologies for eventual bad service. But could you be more precise in the date and as what you ate, where you were seated. I checked with my staff, and off course, they would not say nothing. All is always well. But I will try to explain some thing:
Wait very long for the menu.
Sir, the last few week, we are like overwhelmed in customers. Restaurant fully booked every night. So, maybe the menus were all given out.
Initiative; As you stay a long time in Thailand, I read some of the other comments, out of 7 restaurant 5 were totally bad, you should know that here, the working class is not teached to show initiative. If they would, well, then the Thai system would break down.
So, do not expect to much initiative. They have other qualities however.
Wrong food: again : totally possible: Your English surely has your countries accent, and did you speak slowly, did they repeat the food order, etc…. expecting the same service in Thailand, as in Europe, is totally impossible. Late food: We Europeans eat each our plates. – Thais culture orders food which is set in the middle of the table and is prepared accordingly… its mixed and comes out of the kitchen one by one. Europeans want it to be coordinated and come out all at once. Now, this is a major problem few people understand. If you mix European Kitchen and Thai kitchen, you are a big group and want everything at the same time ??? -- euuuuh…… big chances it will not happen. Maybe in the 5 Starr deluxe hotel yes. But here, ….. I will not stake my reputation on it.
Last but not least.
If during the meal you became nervous and showed it in your reaction of voice, or facial expression …… no good, then things will probably really started to deteriorate, and then it can go very fast. Some staff will try everything NOT to come to your table, as they are afraid to confront an angry person. Then, and I have seen it, they go into the Opossum state: Play dead, the bad thing will go away. And I can ask anything: this evening will be written out of their memory. To be forgotten as fast as possible. Until of course the boss read about it on internet. So,if I want to know what happened that day; I will need patience, be very friendly to them and hopefully I will get some info from their side.
Alain

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Resort ins located at a beautiful secluded beach. Yes, some rocks in the sea, but 150 m down south you can swim no problem.
We have not stayed at bungalows, just ate at a restaurant. While very nicely located, with beautiful sea view, and nice decor, the food was rather bad. Rather low on taste and flavours. Shrimp w/ asparagus in oyster sauce tasted as if they have been made from frozen shrimp, rather than fresh (it is either that or just rather poor cook). Masaman curry with shrimp was full of grease, also did not taste fresh, my friend ate 1/3 and was not able to finish. Felt heavy all evening.
Generally nice place with good vibe, but I recommend the owner to change cook or approach to food. Quite pricey too, considering the taste.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
jardinparadis, Owner at Relax Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2014

Hello sir, It always nice to give us a review, but, you when described our bungalows, you say that its rocky, but 150 m further there is a sandy beach. Actually the rocks are an outcrop which is protecting our sandy beach, which is not 150 m away, but just 5 meter. When I had to read your comment on the hotel I first thought you stayed here. But then I realized you only ate here, and the comment is only on the food.. Its your right to comment, but why is your title concerning the resort: Secluded beach but eat somewhere else.
Furthermore you try to frighten away our customers and make them avoid our restaurant. And all this based on 1 meal. ? Even the Michelin and Guide lemaire visit their restaurant more then once. But after one meal you become – prosecutor - Judge and executioner, all at the same time. Now, again, you can have had a bad day, and got food less then perfectly served. We serve more then 100 customers a day in high season and statistically, humanly, and probably there will be a % of that food that that is prepared a bit less then satisfactionary, In that case, it’s your right to call the waiter, complain and send it back, after which a new plate will be brought. Did we really treat you so badly that you feel the need to try to warn future customers away and try to make us loose money ? Because, that is exactly what you are doing. Your meal is worth what; Panang 185 THB, shrimp 195 THB, total value: less then 400 THB or 10 euro. So for 2 meals worth 10 euro you try to do us harm. ? Next time, just tell the waiter you don’t like the food. Or ask after the main responsible. And for your information: we have 2 -monthly training sessions with renowned guest chefs. So we do try to avoid possible mistakes. And rest assured, our intention is not to serve Bad food. And last but not least , I stand behind my cooks. The can have a bad day, but generally I am proud of them. So, please, don’t recommend me to change them.
pricy: well lets say I pay my staff,a fair wage. So I add 10-20 THB more, yes. But then you don’t eat along the street too. You sit on prime land, with a prime rent, in a wonderfull surrounding, and not on a bench along a dusty street. Mind you, sometimes you can eat with much more fun there. I know some grandmothers cooking on the street in Krabi, who can start to work with us “a la minute”.
Hoping to have given you acceptable answer.
Alain
Ps: Let me know if you are in Lanta. Next meal is on me. I want to get a second chance to prove that my staff, can make good food, and this before I am lead to the scaffolding.