“Chilled out paradise”

Relax Bay Resort
Ranked #11 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
“Chilled out paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here march/april 2013, in family bungalow. We wanted somewhere laid back but comfortable, not too busy but not too remote either, & Relax Bay was better than we even hoped for. Beautiful beach, we swam in the moonlight, it was amazing! Yes theres few rocks but you easily avoid them, its perfect for swimming, our children (10&14yrs) loved it too. pool lovely fpr a splash, its not huge but the ocean is only a few metres away! and the rocks at far enads of beach keep relax bay quiet and private.Food was fab, staff so kind and helpful, we hired scooters & explored the island. Its not that far from town etc., & theres oodles of tuk tuks. We had best hols ever & would love to go back one day!!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank HippiesFlipFlop

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Thai first
Bois Colombes, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

It's a beautifull place and all the people are very fantastic. We stayed 7 nights in this hotel, it was the end of our travail in thailande, but a beautifull end ! The rooms (VIP A/C) just behind the beach is very good, the bed also and the people too.The restaurant is good !!!! So everything is good !!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

My family and I stayed here for a week during the low season. First of all, the resort itself is not centrally located, you need to rent a motorbike or a car if you want to explore the island.

We were picked up by a van and transported to the resort, my initial impression with the room was it is ''motel'' like, barely had any furnitures in it, the bathroom was also basic with an electric water heater. I was told there's wifi in the room but it is extremely unreliable and slow, the only place you'd get internet connection is at the restaurant at the front of the resort.

The resort is very quiet, there are paths leading to the swimming pool, bungalows and the restaurant. The swimming pool itself is small. Even though there's a front beach I wasn't too thrilled to use it more then twice, the sand was filled with litters, rocks and stones (I know a beach usually has these things but it's unsually dirty) As soon as you get into the water you need to be careful because there are a number of giant rocks hidden under the shallow water, this I find frustrating because I have never been to a beach with so much rocks so close to the water.

My experience with the beach bar was bad, to be fair, their juice and drinks are good, but at exaclty 8PM they turned off the music and asked us to pay because they are closing. One day we ordered food from the restaurant as we were sitting at the bar (which is literally 20 steps away) instead of bringing dishes and eating untensils they brought us plastic boxes and plastic spoons.

The food quality compared to others I had in Thailand is quite bad, the cooking is rushed, food taste incredibly bland and usually about 20% more expensive then other restaurants for no apparent reason. The breakfast as many have mentioned before is horrible, there were breads, jams, butter and prepared sausages and eggs, very limited choice and the quality just unacceptable.

The staffs barely speak any English and often misunderstood what we asked for. Overall I am thoroughly dissatisfied with my experience at this resort, if I was given a chance to comeback to this island I would definitely not comeback to Relax Bay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Truc N
alainrelax, Owner at Relax Bay Resort, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear sir,
I read your review and I am sorry you totally did not like our resort. But as you find it fit to try to kill us with your review, I would like to defend myself:
Not centrally located : The island is about 20 km long and we are about midway. I do agree you need to rent a motorbike, but then, you need rent one at almost every other resort. Especially those who located in the top of the island.
Wifi unreliable: In the period you came, we did have some storms. And as you are from Vietnam, I would think you would know that on the islands, the modern times sometimes lag behind it. Today for example we had no electric for the whole day. So, apart from passing your complaint to the authorities responsible for the wireless, I cannot do much more. We just need to learn to live with it. The resort is 25000m2 and we set up a wireless system to cover the whole area. But sadly enough, it does not always work. The resort is very quite: For sure: we try our utmost to be relax.
Small swimming Pool: Yes, you are right, but it was designed that way. But is that a bad thing. The rocky beach: Yes, there you are 50% right, in low season the current sometimes takes away the sand, and then brings it back. And this being an old reef, yeah, rocks can stick out when the sand is taken out. It’s a drawback, but its not our fault , its natural, and we are not allowed to dynamite those rocks we want out. The dirty beach: Again I can agree with you. But during low season the currents are so that the dirt comes from the sea and is thrown onto the beach on a daily basis. We clean the beach every day, sometimes twice a day, after each high tide. However, when we have storms, as you experienced when you were here,, we can not always clean the beach and when the high tide does not coincide with the staffs working hours, we need to wait until the next low tide. Its low season, so we are low on staff too. But I find it sad, that you did not mention the daily work going on in the resort. I cry sometimes when I see the amount of bottles, and plastic that floats in the sea. It’s a disgrace for humanity,, but we fight it on a daily basis.. We even get bottles from India who drift onto our beach. So. know, that I already joined and support an internet organization who fights for putting a ban on plastic or at least switch to biodegradable plastic. Just cleaning the beach takes between 1 and 2 hours a day for 2-3 persons. So, it’s a costly thing too in man-hours, but we do it. 8 PM Bar closed: I asked my staff about it: As it is low season, there are not that many guests to, and we are short on staff. We open from noon until 20.00 PM, then its dark. They told you very politely around 19.30 Hr PM if you would like to have some the drinks, as they would close around 20.00 PM. They also told you, there was no problem, if you you stayed at the bar. You did not complain then. About the food: They asked you if it was for take away, and they were told yes. So the bar took your order, and went to get it at the restaurant and brought it to you. It was served as take away food, as they did not know where you would eat it and In the room or on the beach. We do not have room service. I can add roomservice, but then I need to upgrade my room prices too. We are after all a relaxed place.
Food prices 20% more expensive: If you compare us with a street restaurant with plastic chairs , yes, probably we are. But then we do pay a higher rent and are situated along one of the prime locations in Thailand. Quality and taste: I cannot reply on that. Tastes are different, and mistakes can be made. But your family did stay most of their time in the resort. They could of have left. Breakfast: For an European breakfast, serving, bacon, eggs, yoghurt, “ 3 kinds of jam fruits, 2 kinds of bread, coffee, juices, muesli, sausages, cold ham, some cheese and all tihs in Buffet style, so you can get several servings: I dare you to find a hotel which offers a similar choice. But you are right that in low season the choices are less then in high season, where we add a small Asian Buffet. The staff speak barely English and miss-understood you: Your are probably right, but again we are on a far away island and the local schooling is not of that high level. And most of the locals do not have the money to send their children to good English speaking schools. We try to teach them, but … what can I say: This is Thailand. Compared to neighboring countries the level of English is low. So, we have learned to live with it, as there is just no solution.
Hoping you understand my frustration when I read you complaint, as I totally do not agree with it. I am proud of my business, and yes, it can be better, and we try continuously tot upgrade and teach. But where does it end….. I know, that I do not want to end up stressed with my work, and totally pressured under the false pretense of needing to be better then everybody. That, in the end only leads to global financial meltdown. Never enough, never enough. I know however that i do my best. I can not promise more.
Alain.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

The hotel, staff and location were fantastic, everyone will go out of their way to help you, the rooms are more than you would expect for the money and the food was great. BUT the breakfast was a bit rubbish, the eggs tasted of soap and were not cooked properly. The rest of the food is fantastic and at a good price. THINGS TO WATCH... A hotel transfer is ONE WAY for around £60 (we were not told this and had to shell out another £60 for the return) also it states that there is a 'credit card' charge of 3%, this does include debit cards, they did offer to take us to an ATM, but did not fancy taking £500 out in Thai money in the middle of no where... Overall, great place, great location and the staff are fantastic. £500 for 4 nights, 2 people, 2 great meals a day, more drinks that you could drink and 2 days moterbike hire, Top tip, rent a car at Krabi to save on the transfer

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Supertramp200
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

I visited in early June with my partner, his daughter and her boyfriend. We stayed for 3 nights and had a lovely time. Initially we had looked at hotels nearer to Saladan (where we had arrived on the mini bus from Krabi) but couldn't find anywhere affordable that was nice. We phoned Relax Bay who sent a van to collect us. That phone call was a good decision. Relax Bay is in a idyllic spot. The beach was clean and the hotel provided some platforms and hammocks on the beach (unlike other parts of the island where the beaches seemed neglected and with some litter - maybe because it is low season). The bungalows were lovely. Very spacious and airy with a hammock on the terrace. There weren't many people staying and it was very peaceful. It was a joy to lie in bed at night listening to the sea outside. It's not too far to walk up to the main road where there are other restaurants and shops - about 10 minutes. Suggestions for improvement for the hotel. They could have provided some games and playing cards which I don't think they had. The drinks were a bit pricey. Maybe they could have a happy hour or 2 to get customers into the bar. The staff were friendly and helpful. I could happily have spent a couple more weeks here.

Room Tip: We looked at a few and they all were good with sea views. I chose the fan room rather than a/c beca...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank alison_6000
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

We were picked up from the ferry by a resort member, however there were about 10 of us being picked up and not enough space in the truck. So I, and another guest, were forced to sit on laps and have our heads bent for the 15 minute journey! Not an ideal way to start - I would have thought they would have been more organised and used two trucks. On arrival, we were greeted with a cool fruit juice before being shown to our bungalow. It was average size, with en suite but no A/C -next time we would get A/C!.

The staff were friendly, however the manager (?) who worked in the restaurant was not as friendly. There was a lovely beach bar - which really made the resort, which had lots of beach beds.loungers etc and was stunning for sunsets. There was also a nice pool but lacked sun loungers for the number of people.

it was quite an isolated place, and so decided to hirea moped to explore the island, and were first of all given a key to a moped that had no fuel in it, and helmets that had a broken strap. We went back and changed both, which management were happy to do. The hire was 250 Bht per day which was pretty cheap. Since the restaurant was average (we ate there on the first night), we took the moped out in evening as well and went to a street stall down the road which was one of the best meals we had on the island! (and SO cheap) - and no, we didn't get ill from it.

The breakfast was included, but was average. There was wifi which was also included although had some problems working when we had a storm one night.

We stayed here for two nights before moving on to somewhere else on the island - this was a very quiet resort, and I agree with another review - the people were very much early to bed people!

Room Tip: Choose A/C bungalows!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

I enjoyed Relax Bay for its chilled-out atmosphere and lovely beach-front lounge area. The crowd at this place was early to bed, early to rise (and adventure by scooter around the island). The food at the restaurant was average. After the first night we switched bungalows because a large animal was jumping on our roof all night and the shower/ bathroom was not clean. The second-tier bungalow was nicely designed, clean, spacious and the bed was comfortable. The beds by the beach were very nice, the massages by the ocean were awesome, and the breakfast (included) was decent. Beware of other guests who run out to the lounges/ beach beds early to claim their territory, but who are rarely sitting out there enjoying it! There are cheaper places to stay, and yes, you can feel trapped there because it is expensive to get out of the area, yet we left feeling relaxed, rejuvenated and made some nice new friends from Holland, so overall it was a nice experience. Also, please note: when you rent scooters here, they rent them to you with the gas almost at empty. Staff are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple