“Lovely memories of Relax Bay”
Review of Relax Bay Resort

Relax Bay Resort
Ranked #12 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I visited in early June with my partner, his daughter and her boyfriend. We stayed for 3 nights and had a lovely time. Initially we had looked at hotels nearer to Saladan (where we had arrived on the mini bus from Krabi) but couldn't find anywhere affordable that was nice. We phoned Relax Bay who sent a van to collect us. That phone call was a good decision. Relax Bay is in a idyllic spot. The beach was clean and the hotel provided some platforms and hammocks on the beach (unlike other parts of the island where the beaches seemed neglected and with some litter - maybe because it is low season). The bungalows were lovely. Very spacious and airy with a hammock on the terrace. There weren't many people staying and it was very peaceful. It was a joy to lie in bed at night listening to the sea outside. It's not too far to walk up to the main road where there are other restaurants and shops - about 10 minutes. Suggestions for improvement for the hotel. They could have provided some games and playing cards which I don't think they had. The drinks were a bit pricey. Maybe they could have a happy hour or 2 to get customers into the bar. The staff were friendly and helpful. I could happily have spent a couple more weeks here.

Room Tip: We looked at a few and they all were good with sea views. I chose the fan room rather than a/c beca...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank alison_6000

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We were picked up from the ferry by a resort member, however there were about 10 of us being picked up and not enough space in the truck. So I, and another guest, were forced to sit on laps and have our heads bent for the 15 minute journey! Not an ideal way to start - I would have thought they would have been more organised and used two trucks. On arrival, we were greeted with a cool fruit juice before being shown to our bungalow. It was average size, with en suite but no A/C -next time we would get A/C!.

The staff were friendly, however the manager (?) who worked in the restaurant was not as friendly. There was a lovely beach bar - which really made the resort, which had lots of beach beds.loungers etc and was stunning for sunsets. There was also a nice pool but lacked sun loungers for the number of people.

it was quite an isolated place, and so decided to hirea moped to explore the island, and were first of all given a key to a moped that had no fuel in it, and helmets that had a broken strap. We went back and changed both, which management were happy to do. The hire was 250 Bht per day which was pretty cheap. Since the restaurant was average (we ate there on the first night), we took the moped out in evening as well and went to a street stall down the road which was one of the best meals we had on the island! (and SO cheap) - and no, we didn't get ill from it.

The breakfast was included, but was average. There was wifi which was also included although had some problems working when we had a storm one night.

We stayed here for two nights before moving on to somewhere else on the island - this was a very quiet resort, and I agree with another review - the people were very much early to bed people!

Room Tip: Choose A/C bungalows!
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I enjoyed Relax Bay for its chilled-out atmosphere and lovely beach-front lounge area. The crowd at this place was early to bed, early to rise (and adventure by scooter around the island). The food at the restaurant was average. After the first night we switched bungalows because a large animal was jumping on our roof all night and the shower/ bathroom was not clean. The second-tier bungalow was nicely designed, clean, spacious and the bed was comfortable. The beds by the beach were very nice, the massages by the ocean were awesome, and the breakfast (included) was decent. Beware of other guests who run out to the lounges/ beach beds early to claim their territory, but who are rarely sitting out there enjoying it! There are cheaper places to stay, and yes, you can feel trapped there because it is expensive to get out of the area, yet we left feeling relaxed, rejuvenated and made some nice new friends from Holland, so overall it was a nice experience. Also, please note: when you rent scooters here, they rent them to you with the gas almost at empty. Staff are very friendly and helpful.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We went as a family and had a perfect time in the very relaxed resort. Enjoying the simple, but comfortable life in relax bay. We stayed in one of the VIP bungalows, which I would recommend at a fair extra price. Average breakfast, solid menu otherwise, good service and kind staff. We will be back for sure.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 11, 2013

So I wished I'd read tripadvisor before staying here. Before you book (in fact just don't book), read the responses of the manager to negative tripadvisor reviews. The flagrant contempt in response to quite helpful customer feedback gives a very accurate insight into the way customers are treated at relax bay. Anyway, I'm sure this review will provoke similar arrogance and my intention is not to be personal so let me just stick to facts about my recent stay at relax bay...

Upon finding a cockroach in our "luxury bungalow" for the second time and asking to change rooms, The owner/manager's response was "this is thailand". I appreciate that tropical climates can lead to issues with insects, but other hotels we stayed in thailand had no issues and previous trips to similar climates have taken us to perfectly clean and comfortable accommodation.

When finally agreeing to change our room, the staff showing me to our new room said "I can't guarantee there won't be a cockroach in this one either".

Breakfast was laid out in the restaurant the night before. So was not fresh and had swarms of flies around it by morning.

Upon arrival we were told that the beach bar had happy hour prices during sunset. On entering the bar at the advertised time, the bar staff said that they hadn't had a happy hour promotion for "several years"

We booked a cooking lesson at time for lime ( this is great). The profits from these cooking courses go to a local charity for protecting animals. Relax bay took a substantial cut of the price as a booking fee (about 20 percent) - a bit steep for a phone call.

The hotel offered a minibus service to the local port town but would refuse to bring you back to the hotel even if you were there when people were being dropped off. This was clearly a ploy to discourage you from leaving the overpriced restaurant and bar.

The quality of the food and drink was some way inferior to every other meal we had on our whole trip to thailand.

In general, a very poor establishment, run down and dirty. I'm sure this will provoke a response from the owner but remember... I have nothing to gain from writing a negative review, I'm only trying to help others avoid the massive disappointment we suffered by staying here.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jb0349
alainrelax, Owner at Relax Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear Sir,

I very am sad you think I am arrogant. In my responses I just want to point out that our hotel is not your average hotel. It has it good and its bad points. And situated in a Jungle, in bamboo, I do realize, that not everybody will like it. Therefore, in my responses via email, I do explain it to, our customers, because I do not want them to have a bad experience on their holidays. But I do stand behind my product and I will defend it as best as I can. For better or worse. If for that matter people write malicious answers, I too will have my say.

As for your cockroach, I remember the fact, and I remember your spouse was quite upset. And I remember what I said, “This is Thailand.”, meaning that as the resort is situated in the middle of a jungle, this type of encounters can not be avoided. Besides cockroaches you might see some huge beetles and cicadas, but also butterflies and huge dragonflies. Most of them are just harmless, some look scary, and others are very pretty. And I do remember that we immediately proposed a new bungalow to you, as I did understand that your spouse could be upset.
I also told you that most of the bugs are quite harmless. The remark of my staff was probably intended as a joke to defuse the stress of the bugs. We, living here are used to them and know they are harmless.
As for the breakfast, we set up the cutlery and some china for the next morning. But in no way do we set up food. It’s just inconceivable., and it upsets me that you think we would do that.
About the happy hour prices, I will need to check that; because, next to the bar we have our sign Happy hour drink, so there must have been a misunderstanding. The cooking lessons: I can assure you we don’t get 20% of the price. But we do get a commission, just as we need to give a commission to any taxi driver, or for that matter Internet booking agent or other service. Also, as far as I know this is standard practice in the whole of Thailand. And regarding the bus drive: we do offer a free bus drive to town, twice a day. And if my customers are around, at the time the shuttle goes back, they can hike a ride back. Free of charge. They can also get a free ride if the bus goes out for shopping. But then they can only come back when the bus finishes it shopping. However, in case you asked the driver to get a ride back, and he was free, he should have taken you. I will check it out. But I can assure you that in no way we have a ploy to discourage people from leaving our Hotel. This would mean we are crooks, actually if you ask the reception staff, they will do their utmost of helping you finding nice restaurants, such as ex: Beautifull restaurant in Old town. (And we not get commission on that.)
Again my apologies, if my answers can be viewed as arrogant. That is certainly not the purpose. alain

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We have stayed here twice in last 2 years .First time was for over a month .We really have no complaints .Staff were wonderful ,always smiling and helpful .Food was great ,and not pricy at all.The pool is clean ,and we were very fortunate that everyone was at the beach all the time ,so my husband and i had it all to ourselves .Since we visited here first time ,we recommended it to our friends ,and 8 of them have stayed at Relax bay in last year ,and had nothing but good things to say about it .We will be going again this year :)

Room Tip: We stayed at the bungalows at the beach .
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2013

An absolute gem of a place!..
We stayed at Relax Bay for three nights at the beginning of April. We had been travelling around Thailand for a couple of weeks before venturing over to Koh Lanta so we had by this point stayed in a variety of different hotels/ guest houses. We hadn't booked prior to coming to the Island and had seen a review for the hotel in a book so thought we would check it out..and so glad that we did!. The staff were so friendly and helpful (especially the guy who greeted us, I think he could have been the manager but i've forgotten his name now!). We stayed in bungalow 2 which was near to the reception, this room overlooked the pretty resort and had a huge deck going around it, a hammock to sit and read in and sliding doors into the main room (which was lovely in the mornings too)..and most nights we had the company of the cutest dog sleeping outside! But the best part for me was being surrounded by the jungle! It wasn't too much but it was enough to make you feel that much more secluded and in your own little place..not like many of the hotels we had previously stayed in. The hotel is located directly on the beach, which is just beautiful and a great way to start the day over looking whilst eating your breakfast. The food was great and so was the service we got. If I ever go back to Thailand I would definitely pop back there. Enjoy!!

1  Thank Chloe M
alainrelax, Owner at Relax Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Hello chloe,

Thank you for your nice comment. The guy who greetet you, was Niab, my reception - assistant -computer - and whatever manager. Il tell him hello from you. And we are recutting the jungle now, so that for next season our jungle looks nice again. We dont want it to look too wild do we. :-)
Thanks.