“Paradise on Koh Lanta”
Review of Relax Bay Resort

Relax Bay Resort
Ranked #12 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Relax Bay Resort is located 10 minutes from Long Beach, a busy and less beautiful beach area. The Relax Bay area is private and stunning, while you can quickly pop over to Long Beach to find nice beach restaurants and beach bars. We had great party evenings on Long Beach!
Relax Bay has its own restaurant and a beach bar, but it is a bit on the expensive side if you compare it with what you get at Long Beach.
The restaurant and bar is set right on the beach and you can also lie down for a nice Thai massage if you like.
The cottages / accommodation is about 1 - 2 mins walk from the beach, just behind the restaurant and bar.
All very lovely with daily cleaning - truly and island feel!
If you want to relax, relax bay is definitely the place due to it's nice scenery.
Do the 4 island tour - very good, especially Emerald Cave (bucket list!)

1  Thank xRachellex

Reviewed December 8, 2012

I stayed at Relax Bay for 3 days in November and selected it because it seemed secluded and quiet. I stayed in a superior room with a fan. Although my stay was pleasant, I can't say it was as good as some of the reviews had claimed. The best part of the stay were the staff, who were very friendly and efficient. My room, however, was dark and the view not spectacular although the walk to my room was beautifully gardened. While the beach in front was private, it is not very special and full of pebbles, and the beach chairs filled up early. The food quality was uneven. Had the best pomelo salad I've had in Thailand but the green curry was like coconut milk soup without spices. Every evening there was a wedding which made the restaurant crowded and noisy. Overall, the secluded feeling I thought I would have, proved elusive. Moreover, I checked out other hotels in the area before I left and clearly this hotel is overpriced.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the Beach Bar and away from the driveway.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Back to Relax Bay Resort after 20 years since the last time. Lots of changes and not all for the better.
PROS:
1. Bungalows are situated beautifully in between flowery bushes and palm trees.
2. (Semi) Quiet (if the beach bar isn't going on to late) and laid back atmosphere (most likely due to that it's still not high season)
3. Friendly staff and owner. (Allan from Belgium)
4. Cosy beach bar.
5. Small but nice pool.
6. Good breakfast.

CONS:
1. Very overpriced for absolutely everything! The bungalow:
We thought we'd booked a good bungalow with a balcony at the price of 2248 TBH a night. At this price (most often cheaper) we've been use to getting a bungalow with a (sea) view, a safety deposit box in the room, aircon and a fan, a kettle, a small fridge, hot and cold water, a cupboard, a table and chair (inside), free WiFi and most often some sort of balcony.
The first bungalow we got was absolutely awful! It stank of mould and we got litterally only the very basic. A roof, a toilet and a bed. No balcony as advertised. Very, very dissapointing and compared to the beautiful resort in Koh Sukorn which we've just spent 9 days (much cheaper), it was a direct rip off!
I asked for another bungalow. We then got a so called "VIP bungalow" and my, oh my was there a difference in standard! The fridge, kettle and balcony suddenly appeared for the price of 1500 THB extra a day! This makes it a total of 3748 THB a night which is outrages for what we got, in my opinion!
2. The beach is full of rocks and it can be difficult to get in and out of the water.
3. The restaurant is mediocre with expensive drinks. (It's well worth it to go in to Ban Sala Dan where there is many, many lovely restaurants down by the pier looking over the water.)
4. WiFi only in the restaurant area.

Room Tip: Stay away from the middlepriced A/C Bungalow. If you want a bit of extras, pay the extra.
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in November. It was very clean, the beach was great, the food was the best we had in the the 3 weeks that we were in Thailand, and the staff were excellent.

We would stay here again if we ever go back to Thailand.

1  Thank Little O
Reviewed November 17, 2012

This hotel has achieved something impressive. If you normally visit Benidorm, Ibiza or Kuta for your vacation and want to book a large party with special treatment by the staff, in an Asian setting, then this is the place for you. If however you are a fully independent traveller, seeking a relaxing Thai experience, avoid it.
I can only speak from personal experience but the hotel caters for parties and weddings, and in doing so excludes the ordinary travellers. We do not spend as much money perhaps?
The hotel is clean, to western standards, and could be very attractive, but the culture is one of a Euro package experience designed to cater for a mass group out for a good time.
From arrival the 'processing' begins, and a young Thai girl stating 'give me your passports' and holding out her hand whilst looking bored was not a good welcome strategy. I would add that most of the reception staff were of a fairly 'direct' nature and felt quite unapproachable. The restaurant staff were the only ones smiling. The superior room was good and clean with a superb bathroom but, was located at the side of the driveway, and at 6 o'clock the sound of crashing waves was sliced through by the sound of vehicles to ferry guests around, followed only by the same throughout the day of all the resorts transport and service vehicles.
Joining a queue of people waiting for a table in the restaurant, you notice the independent travellers waiting to place an order, whilst the large parties take all of the attention of a weary looking staff team. The food when it arrived was very poor, designed for foreign travellers and lacking any Thai tastes. Here the large parties rule and if you want this then, I cannot recommend the place enough. You can have your own entertainment, you can have a disco booming out music across the resort until you decide it is over, you can shout to your friends across the resort just as in a rough Spanish package location. If this is what you want, and appears to be what the European management prefer, then....enjoy.
If you are seeking the 'Relax' part of the name, do as we are right now and check out, or do better and do not book. Apparently, we did not experience a one off situation - the staff told us this happens three or four times a month.
The island Is not a party island and there are much better alternatives to be found. Personally I would say look elsewhere immediately.
I think the resot needs to remember that Thailand is the land of Smiles, unfortunately whilst here we saw too many upside down smiles to make it pleasant.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere. If you must book avoid room #4 as it suffers from all the traffic noise of arriving...
2  Thank Dave S
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I am so sad that I arrived on Koh Lanta late in the evening and thus had no other choice but to stay here. I have been in Thailand for 3 weeks now and I have never been so disappointed in accommodation as I am with Relax.
When I asked about the rooms they informed me that the only available room available was 1900 baht per night. When I asked why it was so expensive they laughed and said that this is actually their low season price!!
Then I saw what my money was getting me - a VERY average bungalow, NO AC just a fan and the hardest bed I have ever slept on. I stayed in a bungalow just like it on Koh Tao - but that only cost me 400 baht per night.
Breakfast was included but honestly didn't warm me to the experience. To top it all off the staff are miserable.
I have no problem staying in basic accommodation, I actually prefer the basic backpackers thing but not when it's 5 times the price!!! If you like throwing away money then you will enjoy it here.

Room Tip: Try a room at one of the nearby resorts.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Generally disappointing, for over 2200baht we were given a very small damp, bungalow with dirty bedlinen. After having spent one night in it we had decided to leave and the front desk staff did manage to change our room for a much better one. Also a shame was the bins and building material left lying around the reception and beach area. The restaurant was terrible.

Room Tip: The beach front rooms are by far the best
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family