“We had a wonderful time and I must say a very pleasant staff”

Cha-Da Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #55 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
“We had a wonderful time and I must say a very pleasant staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

We just finished 4 nights at the Cha Da. Nice clean room and a pretty good size.
Pros
Easy to get to and even though your close by the shops and money exchange, the nights were quite. The room was no smoking and no detectable odor of smoke. Breakfast was alright but the same after 4 days. The owner is on duty all the time and bends over backwards to make his guest happy (no I don't know him personally). Service was good at the restaurant and the pool bar.
Cons
Shower hot water is weak. Breakfast was the same everyday, but a good amount of fresh fruit.

I've stayed at several places around Krabi over the last 6 years like the Shearaton, Amari Vogue and although the Cha Da is not a five star it's has great benefits for all that it offers.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Imahappyman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Gothenburg, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

A really nice family resort- even it is not that old- it has already a patina of worn out place. Any how we liked it. - We stayed in a small suite with pool access. It is total value, a must if you are travelling with children. The beds are typical Asian- very hard for your back!If you have direct pool access, you do not have to rush for the sunbeds near the activity pool. And in the afternoon you can relax on your own terass and the children can play in the pool.

The breakfast was chaotic with all families rushing around. If you arrived there round 8,30 or later- it is only open to 9,30. So several mornings we had breakfast 7,45.That was Perfect!

The evenings are very very quiet in Koh Lanta as well in Chada Beach resort. At 9,30 it is silent! But we did find the resort next door - Noble House! At least their bar were open until 23. We had almost all our lunches at Noble House since their pool bar and food was very good and good priced as well. Our dinners we had in Saladan, must try out PA PA's in town! Or we stayed among Klong Dao beach, many nice restaurants to choose from at the beach. - Our family did not eat one single day at Chada Beach resort. First it was more expensive than other restaurants, and we had also been told that the food was better outside the resort. So the choice was simple...

To be honest - I can not say that we should travel to the same place again- since it was not that fantastic- more easy to stay at, so to say,especially for the older children 5-14 of age. By the way- don't go as a couple, to many families. Choose another resort.

Room Tip: Only the rooms with the pool access is to be recommended!! Or the small villas with their own pools.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank 27Elisa1971
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

We wanted to try one of the quieter Thai islands and randomly chose Koh Lanta. We had no idea what to expect and were a bit nervous when we saw what was available in town. What a surprise! We were greeted by the sweetest concierge and shown to a gorgeous room with a deck that led straight into the cool blue pool outside. This is one advantage of travelling in low season - you are upgraded easily and can score big. Granted, the resort wasn't as magnificent as it must be in high season but we're still really glad we went. The room is beautifully designed and was super comfortable. There is a great little convenience store next to the resort where you can hire scooters cheaply to ride around the island. We did this in a day and it was loads of fun. Tuktuk taxis are available at reception to take you into town but they become expensive (about 50 or 100 baht single fare). There are a few restaurants open at night in town and I highly recommend the Black Pearl. The owner runs traditional Thai cooking courses as well which are definitely worth doing. Overall, great value, peaceful and really beautiful.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank CathLan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

This was the worst 5* hotel (according to booking.com) we have been to.

Before you read my point of view I want to make it clear that I'm not a negative person but I've been to many places and hotels and I always give my opinion, good or bad!!!!

The staff barely spoke any English, they know few basic words and if you try to ask or say anything else around those few words, expect a "yes please" and nothing more.....

Our room (we got the Emerald Suite) was OK and clean though we have lizards in our room which I don't find very cozy... To sleep with a lizard is not on my list and I don't care if its Thailand. I've been to the bush in Africa and not even there did I sleep with a lizard or any other bug. The AC was horrible. Making so much noise you can't sleep with it ON nor OFF as you'll wake up soaked in sweat.

The wardrobe was also bad, you have to keep the both doors open with your hands or if your flexible enough use on arm and one leg to keep it from slapping back at you...

The entrance Door was not sealed good enough so Mosquitos and smaller lizards could easily enter.

TV was very poor quality and very few options to watch.

Breakfast was horrible. No more comments!(only the fruit was fresh enough)

The hand wash sink got quickly filled with water and stayed like that the entire day!!!! They could easily pour some product to clean the tubes but....

This hotel is probably an Ok option for cheap charter with all inclusive. They had lunch and dinner buffe evey day! It was also during our stay filled with families who basically took over the entire hotel& pool area. No way to get some peace there! We had to leave the place and go south to find ourselves a calmer and peaceful beach!

Wifi is not for free. Even though they have free wifi at one of the restaurants, during our firsts week it didn't work and they refused to provide us with their other paying wifi pw until they had solved the problem with the free wifi! Bad service!

Animation going on every day/night! The 27th they had a firework show which we could not understand. The entire hotel was filled with Christmas lights. Every corner really!!! :/

I know it's a family hotel and the kids might like it but still, there are other guest at the hotel going to bed earlier, being food poisoned etc and who would like a quite night!

The fitness sucked. Only one cardio (running) machine. The bike was broke and no air at all. No mattresses and no music but in the rest of the hotel you sure had music all day long, but don't expect any chill or lounge music.

I could go on but I'll stop here! We did a huge mistake on booking this hotel and unfortunately we didn't manage to cancel and change! :(

It should state on booking sites that these hotels are working with certain agencies and have animation all day long! And again, on bookings.com it had 5* and on tripadvisor 3.5*. I would give it 3* only!!

Thanks for reading this and I hope you'll stay away from this hotel!!

Ghazal

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank Ghazal_antiloop

Travelers are raving about these Ko Lanta hotels

Reinheim, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

I was at Cha Da the last week of November 2012 - traveling solo (diving vacation). Graciously greeted by the manageress on arrival. Stayed in an "Emerald Suite" 8 nights.

No complaints - can only praise my whole time there. Room very good, breakfast (included in my booking) was excellent-huge variety of meats, fruits, eggs, salads, beverages etc. Breakfast room adjoins the gigantic winding spotless swimming pool (there is also another childrens' pool near the beach)

-Hotel grounds: lovely tropical atmosphere continuing to the beach; beach wonderfully peaceful, clean (water temperature 32C!!!) excellent for quiet strolling to adjacent hotels with bars/restaurants all on the beach -simply relaxed and not crowded! Excellent for families - and I was there alone and still had a great time. (One night was difficult due to a screaming sick child in the next room; I mentioned this to the manager-in 15 minutes I was moved to a different Emerald Suite - problem solved)

-Staff (majority speak English) were very pleasant / funny, friendly - offered tips and tricks for side trips (including recommended diving sites); If you don't want to eat dinner there, for a change, just take a 'Tuk Tuk' to Ban Saladan for 50 Baht (15 min drive) - and be a part of the local dining adventure! (Free WiFi 24 hrs. all around the restaurant pool area / additional charge if you want it in your room)

-Diving: amongst the best in the world. I used "Go Dive-Lanta" divers (in Ban Saladan; but there are numerous other dive operators) I strongly recommend "Go Dive" - excellent, professional, friendly - they pick you up at the hotel and take you back. I intended to dive for only 3 days; but the experience was so good that I dove for 7 days and expanded my PADI certifications (see: www.godive-lanta.com) The result was that I didn't have time to see the island's other attractions.

Cha Da- great: location, beach, room (Emerald Suites) relaxing, excellent for families (not a wild swinging partying location -that's not why you go to Koh Lanta)

My wife and I are going there again the end of January 2013, staying at Cha Da. Obviously I enjoyed my stay.

Bill C

Room Tip: Emerald Suites are quieter in a garden setting - nearer to the beach - second floor rooms have high...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

The professional and traveler pictures differ significantly for good reason. This hotel lacks the feel that the professional shots successfully portray. Although the main pool area looks much better now than in the '07 pictures, the deck chairs on the actual beach area are gone.

The concept of the place is lovely but the execution falls short largely due to hotel staff that are shy and reticent. Restaurants that only open half the time can prove a problem if you want to grab a coffee at the lagoon pool area in the evening or if youve paid megabucks for a beachfront room only to have breakfast in a restaurant in the lagoon area. The quality of the food and beverages is disappointing to say the least and room service (which wasn't bad) ends at 10:00pm. Forget about the cocktails and if you opt out of the breakfast package, grab a tuk tuk and go to the german bakery nearby. Unless of course you want over fried bacon and doughy, cold croissants.

The rooms are fine. A lot of thought has gone into the fact that guests will need ample hanging space for their wet clothes, spare towels for the beach, that sort of thing.... Kids love the open bathtub concept and if you get the room with the pool right at your balcony, it's a lot of fun for the young ones! The beds are big and comfy. Oh... But the selection on TV is poor. For the price you pay, I'd expect better options even if I were going to be outdoors most of the time.

Something is seriously amiss in this hotel. Im wondering if the whole of Krabi is like that. I will definitely have to investigate further but I won't be staying here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank sathaskid
Palma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Good hotel, nice staff, superb pool area and great for the bigger family. The restaurangs at the beach is to recommend instead of the more costy and less tasty hotel kitchen. Bad that you have to pay for the wifi.

Room Tip: It is worth to pay the extra to get the one of the room with the terass exit directly to the pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family