“Dirty, overpriced, disgusting”

Lanta Marine Park View Resort
Ranked #62 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Literally everything about it was horrendous!!! We have been travelling through Thailand for the past month and spent a lot less money with a lot lot better accommodation!! I shall start with our arrival. We arrived nearly 2 hours after the arrival time to be told to wait while they check our room is 'ok' when they came back to tell us it was ready we followed them to the room up the steepest hill I have ever seen, let alone having to almost trek up the hill with steps that should of been made half the size they were uneven walkways. When we finally reached our room the only words I can use to describe it was dull dingey and hell like!! It didn't look or smell clean the bathroom door may as well not been there is was a piece of cardboard over it, the door didn't shut properly and the door knob was so rusty I am surprised it didn't fall off in my hand, moths, daddy long legs and spiders were our guest while in there. The shower we had should of been a hot shower, however unless u wanted to burn, u had to have a freezing cold shower. Next the bed, it should of had a mosquito net over it that worked and actually closed... Well this one didn't we had to clip my hair grip and tie hair bobbles to close it around us. We should of been given toiletries, well by toiletries we were given toilet roll and that's all!! The 'mini bar' was a old, filthy small fridge with nothing in it, and when you weren't in the room the fridge didn't even work so if u left a bottle of water in there in the day it would be warm when u returned to ur room. As myself and my partner both have asthma we decided that it was too much to keep walking up and down to get to our room as it put such a strain on us so I went and asked them if we could move because of this, I was told no as they had no rooms but to check every day, I am sorry but as a business u should know what rooms u have available and when. I just left it after that and decided we would take everything we could possibly need for the day and only return when we went to bed, not something u would expect to have to do when paying the amount we did!! We wanted to leave as soon as we arrived but couldn't as we couldn't afford to loose half the money we had paid. I would say the conditions we were left to stay in we're unsuitable for anyone, it is truly disgusting that this place is allowed to even be open!! As for the staff, all they seemed to do all day is watch the television, in my opinion they could of used that time to look after the place, I.e clean the damn place,breakfast was included in the room rate, myself and partner had the American breakfast and the only thing barely edible on the plates was the toast, everything else was cold, even the fried eggs, as a chef I hate to think what state the kitchen would of been in, I know that thai standards are not the the greatest, but this place, not even the cockroaches would eat here..

But on a lighter note..
The island is a beautiful part of Thailand and at the bottom of the hill from the hotel is a placed called the drunken sailor which was the saving grace of our stay, food/drinks are reasonably priced and the owner is an American, a genuine guy and looks after his customers.. Worth a visit to the DRUNKEN SAILOR..

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed February 11, 2013

This resort is in an amazing location, walking distance to the beach, restaurants, shops,bars, tourist info, massages and bike rentals
The staff were very helpful.
Choice for breakfast was very limited
I only ate there once and it was fine, plenty of choice.

Room Tip: I stayed in the room nearest the bar and it was really quiet but then the resort was nearly empty. T...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Totally overpriced (54 Euro) for a bungalow in really bad state. Interior was shabby, the fridge was filled with one used! water bottle and the bathroom was from hell.
I tried to leave and get my money back (i had to cash in advance by internet, the single time during my whole trip), wasn´t possible, changing the room as well, the important thing was that the staff was in a good mood and always stoned.
Pics tell everything ...

Room Tip: Stay away from Lanta Marine Park View Resort
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Ok so you might find the odd hair in the sink if you look hard enough but this place is pretty close to heaven. Yes the rooms are basic but the service is sweet, the atmosphere charming and friendly amongst the guests, the food fantastic and so cheap. Not a place for small children (lots of stairs). Books rooms in "a" row as they have a direct view of the beach...and what a view!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I have stayed at this resort before around 6 years ago, when it was a well managed business.
Now they have changed owner and i have to say that it is a shadow of it's former self.
Most of the bungalows are run down and in need of a repair. Our room was clean inside however the bathroom was still dirty when we arrived.
The service is a joke. We had to wait 45 mins for a fried rice dish which usually takes 5 mins to cook. Staff never come over to take orders, we had to go order with the only guy who could speak English.
In it's favour is the location and views which are fantastic.

I would recommend staying elsewhere around Kantiang bay for cheaper prices

Room Tip: Choose lower down the hill as there is less wind
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Pros: I would come back here because of:
The view
The vind
The shade
The nice closed bay
The surrounding jungle
The snorkling possibilities
The extremety nice plateaus and terasses in the restaurent.

Cons:
-Almost nonexisting seevice.
-The just didn't care.
-Non trained staff. Ex.didn't/couldn't clean the bathroom for a week!
-Dirty surroundings on the resort with rubbish and waste all over.
-little pricy.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 30, 2012

You get what you pay for.
Budget option but slightly higher prices than other budget options due to prime location.

Location;
Beautiful views over very quiet and clean beach.
Secluded but not isolated.
Walking distance from small 7/11, a few shops and a couple of beach side restaurants.

Staff / service;
No issues and all queries dealt with swiftly and efficiently.
Couple of less enthusiastic staff which is rare for Thailand but not a huge issue.

Food;
As expected, not gourmet but no problems with it.

All services needed on offer; tour services, bike/car hire, food, internet.

Would highly recommend for a quiet get away that won't break the bank!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple