“Mixed feelings”

Lanta Pavilion Resort
Ranked #72 of 85 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed at this resort for 7 days with mixed feelings. Good stuff - location excellent lots of choice of restaurants, beautifully sunsets, grounds of lanta pavilion are lovely and they spend lots of time making it nice, bike hire at 250 baht a day very good, lady in reception on the whole friendly and helpful, accomodation we were in the older bungalows although tatty was fine by thai standards for the price, house keeping ladies were lovely and friendly.

Negatives - breakfast bordering on dismal but this has already been mentioned and responded by Joe we decided to have breakfast elsewhere last 4 days as some mornings it was cold and inedible, the guys running the bar were occasionally irritating with their stupid antics totally oblivious to the guests on more than one occasion just being load and annoying not very professional and again before you respond Joe we brought this to your attention whilst we were there. My ipad would not work and noticed lots of other people had same trouble but walking 2 restaurants down worked fine so this was a big problem when trying to organise next accomodation .

In conclusion and overall not a bad resort but could be a great resort with a bit more thought and understand that Joe is trying to iron out a few of the problems hope this honest review from experienced travellers helps others.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank harley573
hawaiian9, Manager at Lanta Pavilion Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

I remember our discussion. I have had a meeting with the chef and we will change to a breakfast menu from which customers can choose. I'm not sure I'll bother talking to the bar staff. That bar is rented to the boys by the season because we are owned by Muslims and not alowed to sell booze. These boys will be gone next year. I might run it myself! I am trying to figure out the wi-fi issues. 90% of devices have no problem but 10% can not use it. I'll have a techie around soon. I do try to solve problems here, but it's not always easy with the local culture being what it is. The owner will see this and other reviews and I wil push him to act. Glad you enjoyed your stay other than the mentioned issues.

Joe

Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

The resort looks quite nice abd the resort area arround is clean. Only the pool could be nicer abd also quality of water in pool was not so clean when we stayed there. Pls make quality of water in pool better. Our room was clean but in the night was very loud from music until late night, we stayed at one if the last rooms close to the reception. It would be a great bebefit if lanta resort guests would have free wifi in the whole hotel area and not only in the front or restaurants. I mean for this prices the most of them have free wifi for their guests at any time. One little thing which i found in the corner if the room is mould and this is very dangerous for your own health. Pls look at your rooms and remove the mould this is not good and not healty for your guests. I really would choose lanta resort again, it was very nice there abd the staff at front desk was always very kind and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2013
hawaiian9, Manager at Lanta Pavilion Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

We've had problems with the pool several times this season. I'm not quite sure why s it is usually crystal clear even in the low season. We have the pool man come arounf straught away if there is a problem, but it can take a day or two to clear up. I think it might be too much sun tan oil in the water. Anyway, it's fine now. I guess he cleans the filter more often. Thanks for pointing out the mold problem. We will have the rooms inspected and fixed up, and will do a renovation in the low season. We are considering free wi-fi in the rooms. I have suggested it to the owner. Last your it was 100 baht for 90 minutes and now it's 100 baht a day. Still. many places are free and I will try to convince him to offer free wi-fi next season. Thanks for your suggestions and compliments.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 7 nights and as we booked 3 nights separately we had 2 different rooms (we got upgraded for free to deluxe for the second one, nice touch). Careful... WiFi is not free of charge if you want it in your room (700 bhat/week) but free in the restaurant and near reception.

The rooms: clean, spacious with all commodities (fridge, a/c, soap and shampoo, drinking water but no safe). All "bungalows" have a lovely terrasse with table and chairs. We had glass windows. The second room was better than the first room which had lots of mosquitoes. We also happened to see a cockroach in the first room (a15) but it was our fault... We left a plastic bag full of leaked shampoo and the floor... The second room was further from the beach and close to the road but it was new and much better (no mosquitoes, no cockroaches), it was room B2. Rooms are cleaned everyday and we had no noise issue whatsoever...it's definitely worth taking a deluxe (way better than superior, and I thin standard don't have a/c or glass windows)

Hotel location: right on the beach, very pleasant. The beach has a lot of rocks though and check the tide! When it's low tide walk 5 minutes on the beach and you can find a place without rocks (opposite the emerald hotel)or use the small but nice swimming pool. Also we could always find a beach chair to sit in.To go out it is a bit more complicated as it's a bit isolated: if you want to go to the old Town it is quite expensive, but a bit cheaper to go to saladan village (go to lanta seafood reataurant there, it's amazing).

Staff: friendly, but a bit slow.

Breakfast: not included but they have plenty of choice. The set breakfast are not necessarily great so we ordered from the menu (almost same price). The food in this restaurant is generally great... Do try the bbq white snapper with tamarind sauce for dinner, it won't disappoint! Best fish eaten in Thailand. Be prepared to wait though, service is long and can sometimes be flaky...take some playing cards and the issue is solved. They also do a lovely banana shake.

All in all I definitely recommend this hotel!

Excursions: don't book at the hotel, just cross the road where you'll find a small tourist information office. The owner is super nice, genuinely cared about our opinion (we did 2 excursions and he waited for us both times to ask whether we liked it or not) and he also offers cheaper prices. Would recommend doing a speedboat excursions (opal), it's more expensive but well worth it, more professional and better organised than in long tail boat. We did 4 islands excursions in long tail and phiphi in speedboat.

Room Tip: If you don't mind being further away from the beach ask for the newly refurbished rooms (b2 and...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

So glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Our aim is to make our customers happy and we try our best to get feedback about tours etc. so we can chose the best ones. We are lucky to have a very good chef! Sorry about the mozzies and bugs. This is the tropics and one speck of food will bring ants in quickly. Mosquitoes only are active at dawn and dusk, so if you are careful to keep your door closed at these times, you should be able to keep them out. Check the room before you sleep to flush out any mozzies and kill them or they will buzz you all night. Our staff will happily help. The roaches here do not infest houses. They live in the jungle and only get into houses by accident. Still, they are very ugly so contact the staff if you see one. Unfortunately, if one gets in, others might follow so make sure it is put out! With a littl care, your room should be bug free.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed here mid December and are a family of 5, with adult children. Prior to our stay Joe the contact we made was fantastic and very very helpful even arranging a free collection from the boat Pier, he was great.
We had high expectations and were very pleased when we arrived, our rooms were lovely the people very friendly. This was our last Island stop and during our trip it became clear to us that our son and daughter would be better sharing than our two daughters (due to them staying out late at night) they were great and rearranged our rooms to suit our new arrangement.
The meals we ate in the evening were great, compliments to the chef, and the waiter was brilliant, he made us smile and was full of fun. Breakfast - that's a bit odd, a set menu that didn't really suit our requirements, I do think they would be better having an open choice, it doesn't have to be buffet but to choose what you wanted rather than a set menu would be better.
The beach is nice, but it is rocky so not for all, we went for some lovely evening strolls and there were places to pop in for a drink or two. It is a quiet, perhaps too so for our children although they did find a full moon party to attend. It was a bit difficult for me as I cannot sit in the sun and there was nowhere to sit on the beach that had shade, prior to booking we checked this and it did seem that this would be available. As a party of 5 we were able to get chairs on the beach, a mismatch of deck chairs, sun loungers and a plastic garden type chair, but I could see this being an issue if they were really busy.
The only down side for me was trying to arrange to go out and about. As I had corresponded with Joe I asked where I could find him to book some outings and was told he was off sick. The lady would help me. However, after answering her mobile mid conversation, getting up and walking away and generally not listening or seeming interested, I walked away to go get my things and find somewhere else to help me organise the trips we wanted to do. She did eventually come after me and I told her I was going to find someone who was interested in helping me, finally she did help but I do feel that we missed out a little as she wasn't very clued up.
Would I stay again, Yes we would as a couple but the kids found it a bit too quite.
Tip - If you want to get out and about sort it before you get there or hope that Joe is well.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

After a rather lengthy sick leave, I am back! Sorry the staff didn't seem overly eager to help you. They work long hours (Thai style) and get tired and are not always smiley and helpful. They usually are though and you can tell it's genuine, They just can't always maintain the smile when they are tired. I have tried training but it's hard to change a culture! Now that I am back, guests can always ask the receptionist to call me any time and I can be there in a minute. We have bought some new beach chairs and umbrellas, but there isn't always space if all 36 rooms decide to be out at the same times. This rarely happens and the beach can seem almost deserted even in the high season.

Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

You must remember, this isn't a high class 5 star resort.... It's a small basic clean resort.. The newer deluxe bungalows are nice and clean. Bathroom is simple but clean..
Breakfast included in the room gets kinda boring when you're staying for a longer period..
The service in the restaurant is always friendly, but can be painstakingly ineffective at times and they don't always get it right... so there is room for improvement. But if you're nice and point it out.. you'll probably end up with what you want... in time... ;-) (Relax!! This is basically the way it is everywhere on Ko Lanta)
The service in the reception is compleatly hazzle free... No complaints.
The guys in the bar... Relax man!! Thanks for everything. Nice people, friendly service and always smiling!!
The ladies at the beach massage... Well worth several visits.
Beach is nice... But remember that there is a reef and you need to know where to walk when you go for a swim.

I would like to recommend this resort to everybody who wants an easy, friendly and clean resort, with its small imperfections, and a relaxing holiday.

• Stayed: December 2012

Thanks for you kind words. Yes, breakfast.... I have been after the boss for 2 years now to change the breakfast style. I would prefer a breakfast menu with several choices to our current style of eggs,sausage toast, fruit, coffee or.tea and juice -- every day. Much better to be able to chose from a variety of simple breakfasts. I'm sure after reading this and the many other reviews that mention our breakfast, the owner will see the light. Glad you enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed at Lanta Pavillion for 4 nights In January. The hotel is ok, however it is incredibly expensive for what you actually get. To add some perspective, we were travelling on a budget, and paid around £30 a night for this hotel which was by far the most expensive of all the islands we visited.

We had a standard room with air con. The room although clean is in desperate need of some TLC. We picked up a leaflet for the hotel at the front desk, and the photos make the room look very different to what you will actually get. Also, the beds are rather lumpy!

On the plus side, the hotel grounds are well kept, there is a nice swimming pool to use, the hotel is right on the beach and the hotel restaurant serves some very nice food.

Overall this is not a terrible hotel, the surrounding are nice, and the restaurant is good, but I was left very disappointed with the quality of our room considering the cost of it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Koh Lanta is an expensive island, as are many of the smaller near-by islands. I too think that it is expensive for what you get compared to other parts of Thailand, but Lanta is trying to go up market. This seems to be changing as market forces do their magic. We are, however, very competitively priced compared to other resorts on the island, and have many different discounts. If we have rooms available at the last minute, the price drops considerably, but we are usually full in high season, which shows that we are competitive. If you are able to come in the low season, it's just as nice or nicer, except you might have rainy days. Still plenty of sun though and up to eighty percemt off. In the high season. the prices will always be determined by what people are willing to pay! It doesn't last long and we need return on investment!

Reviewed January 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent four nights at the Lanta Pavilion in December. We were supposed to stay two nights but after our first immediately extended our stay to four. This is a simple hotel with clean, modest but comfortable rooms, hot showers, and very friendly staff. The rooms are not directly on the beach but you just have to walk through a path through the courtyard to reach it. It is not a fancy resort but does have a simple pool and nice chairs out on the beach, and a beachside restaurant for sunset drinks and dining.

The reason we liked our stay so much was we loved its location on Klong Khong beach. While it is not a great beach for swimming (rocks) it stretches for ages in either direction, has out of this world sunsets, and tons of rasta bars and beach shack restaurants to hang out at. It was perfect for a couple in their 20's to play on all day - with cheap food and drinks available on foot in either direction of the hotel.

Koh Lanta has a lot of fancy, secluded resorts on quiet beaches in the south but Pavilion was a much better fit for us as we wanted to interact with the town instead of just vegging at a pool all day. If you want to do the same, the Pavilion is a great place to rest your head. They also have free pick up from the ferry!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tory L
Pavilion123, Manager at Lanta Pavilion Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Couldn't have said it better myself! Some people love our beach and style, some don't. Reviews like this help peope chose. Thank you! Our aim is to make everyone here happy!