“Nice clean place, wet season so bring a raincoat but good service overall”

Lanta Pavilion Resort
Ranked #71 of 85 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Nice clean place, wet season so bring a raincoat but good service overall, beaches a bit dirty but that's normals in the rainy season because of the wind

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Sebbo2012
hawaiian9, Manager at Lanta Pavilion Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Thanks for your great review! It's nice to be appreciated. It can be a bit wet in July and the monsoon winds can blow junk up onto the beach. In the past, no one bothered to clean the beach as the junk is always back with the next tide, but we at Lanta Pavilion have stated to clean twice a day now. It's weird that when the wind changes, the beach cleans itself and stays junk free for the whole season.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a holiday to Koh Lanta. At first we stayed at the Lanta Castaway Resort for a week, before moving to Lanta Pavilion to meet our friends.

Well, what a difference! Although we were given a free pick up, we were extremely disappointed by the overall shabby appearance and lack of atmosphere at Lanta Pavilion.

The general up-keep of the resort is poor, with flooded dirt paths, overgrown gardens and litter just dumped outside the main reception buildings.

The pool, whilst offering a mix of sun and shade, was quite dirty and only had a couple of sun loungers. During our time there  it was full of screaming children emptying buckets of water all over each other (and us!) as we tried to relax...

As for the beach, swimming was near impossible due to the number of large sharp rocks in the water, and once again, due to the extremely limited number of sunloungers and lack of umbrellas for shade, comfortable and relaxing sunbathing was difficult.

The restaurant is in a nice location overlooking the beach and offers a wide variety of dishes for standard prices, although the food is average and when we explored the surrounding area in the evenings, we found dinner was much nicer (and often more reasonably priced) in other places.

The rooms were definitely the best part of the resort. We stayed in the new "A" buildings and had good sized bungalows which were clean and quiet at night. These seemed much nicer than the older P bungalows which are closer to the beach, yet from the outside look quite cramped and dark.

Probably the most off putting part of our stay was the appalling customer service we experienced as a group. The staff at reception do not speak English and so when making enquiries, we were always told to come back after 6pm when the American manager would be back. This was not only inconvenient but also quite frustrating if your time on the island is limited. However, the worst part came when we decided to leave early due to the lack of atmosphere (the resort was nearly empty) and clear disparity with the actual hotel and what it was portrayed as on the website. We were given a penalty of having to pay for 4 nights whilst we only stayed for 3. This was understandable since we were leaving earlier than expected and normally shortened stays are not permitted. However the rude and patronising way in which we were spoken to by the management was unacceptable and left us with an extremely bad impression of the hotel's care for customer satisfaction.

Overall, whilst lanta pavilion is perfectly fine if you are looking for good value rooms and a resort on the beach, I would not recommend this hotel due to its lack of atmosphere and extremely poor customer service. Given that there are so many beautiful and relaxing places to stay on koh lanta (one of which - lanta castaway - I would highly recommend) there is no reason to stay here. We paid to leave early and continued our trip at a much nicer resort down the road! Stay away!

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Thailand12
Pavilion123, Director of Sales at Lanta Pavilion Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2012

I am Joe. I am the marketing manager, not manager, though I do help communicate with the Thai staff for those who are not able to do so by themselves . My office hours are 9am - 12 or 1pm and then 6pm-9 or 10 pm. We are the only resort on this beach that employs a native English speaker. I can always be reached by phone if a customer needs to communicate in English, though most seem to get along fine with our Thai staff. I should add that, although I am trying to change this, some Thai people (and some of our staff) become rude when someone is rude to them. I know they should keep their smile and professionalism, they don't always when confronted with rudeness. I am somewhat perplexed by this review. We were having torrential rains when this customer was here, hence the few puddles and muddy spots. We have no "dirt paths" except in the parking area, but the paved path through the bungalows can get a few puddles in a heavy rain. Our pool and garden are always kept in immaculate condition, even in the low season. They garden is by no means "overgrown" (we are proud of it!) and the pool and beach had plenty of sun loungers for our "almost empty" resort when this guest was here. We are a family friendly resort, and do get some children. Children do make noise sometimes, and play in the water (though I do find most to be well behaved and quiet). The website on which this person booked stated clearly what conditions are like here during the "low season". We operate on a skeleton staff and it is very quiet. This is why we sell the rooms at up to 80% off. As for the resort not looking like the pictures on the website, the beach and ocean look different during storms when there is no sun to make the ocean bright blue and some leaves may blow off of the trees. Not nearly as fun as a sunny day. I am sorry that this customer was not satisfied, but happy to say that most are. It is obvious to me that someone here made this particular customer angry and they are trying to punish us for it.

Reviewed April 28, 2012

where to start. so its supposedly "low season" didn't read or hear about this anywhere but first really noticed it when I got to Ko Lanta. at first it was real nice, pool was clean & went swimming in there to cool off. noticed that there was no one around, the beach was real dirty right in front of the resort loads of rubbish, a shame pictures looked so nice. when I inquired about tours reception didn't really have much information or brochures as the tour/holiday office had also been closed along with the restaurant and bar of the resort. I really wanted to do the 4 island tour, which was amazing and went with Lanta Garden Hill Speed Boat Island Tours, great crew! Doing this I needed to stay another night. I got a cheaper rate as I'm sure I was the only one staying there but still wasn't that great a price for no restaurant, bar, proper tour info and no wi-fi in the rooms. Then it got worse the next 24 hours; shower didn't work (thought I was just tried and might be a trick I'd have one in the morning), there was ants everywhere including in a pillow in the bed rubbish bins and in the bathroom. pushing 2 twins beds together when one is higher is just annoying. waking up to the A/C dripping water. By the morning I'd had enough went to find Joe the boss man (who the night before came by to introduce himself & tell me what was actually open around the area, which was good). No luck, by this stage I was done as I'd also got food poisoning from the "Greek Tavern" just down the road and have been in bed so sick for the last 4 days. When I informed the girl at the front desk about the room she wasn't very helpful on locating Joe, just saying I can give you another room, but i wasn't going to pay anymore I just wanted out! I've paid half the price at all the other places in Thailand and got better service/cleanliness/facilities. I went to splash out for something nice, ha that back fired!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank aimee1812
Pavilion123, Director of Sales at Lanta Pavilion Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

I'm sorry that people still do not seem to realize that it is very seasonal here. After the Thai New Year in mid-April, the monsoon winds start to blow and all kind of junk washes up on some beaches, like driftwood, seaweed and anything else that floats. We get very strong onshore winds. After cleaning, it is back with the next tide. This is why we sell the rooms at 50 to 80% off. I have written to all of the major on-line booking agents and told them to explain this -- some do and some won't. In any event, google is full of information! Just google "Koh Lanta slow season". The 60% - 80% off this customer paid should have been a clue. Having said this, the island is still quite worth a visit as many tours still operate, everything is a bargain and many beautiful beaches are sheltered from the wind and the beaches stay clean.

I remember the A/C dripping because the customer did find me and I informed them that they could wait 10 minutes to have the drain unplugged or change rooms. They opted to change rooms. The shower worked fine when I checked it. As for the ants, in the tropics, one speck of food will draw them. When the food is gone, the ants disappear. We are happy to clean the rooms every time the "clean room" sign is left on the door knob. Because we were slow (about 8 rooms that day) I did make it a point to contact every guest personally and explain what there was to do on the island and about all of the many tours available and give them my room number so they could contact me if they needed anything and couldn't find the staff during our closing hours (I am in the office from 9-12 am and 6-9 pm and the reception is open 8-5 in the slow season). I spent time explaining every tour and made a list of good restaurants in the area. Sorry about the food poisoning. I have never had it here, but I have lived here for a long time and have resistance to local bugs. I find the Greek Taverna to be very good by any standard, but food poisoning is common and can come from anywhere.

Room rates vary widely in Thailand (and everywhere else). I used to stay in a nice room in Kanchanaburi (bridge over the river Kwai) for 10 dollars. But tropical islands are expensive! Still, I think this guest paid 20 -25 dollars, and the only thing you can get for less on Koh Lanta is a bamboo bungalow with no toilet or A/C, T.V. fridge, hot water, real bed,wardrobe, tour office etc. Just you and the ants!

So sorry this customer did not enjoy their stay. We do try, but can't control the weather or the bugs! We are still a bargain in the "monsoon" season. Check for our promotions!

Reviewed April 10, 2012

We loved this small family run resort. There were about 30 bungalows a small bar/restaurant, pool and it is right on the beach. The ladies on reception spoke very good English and were extremely friendly and helpful. There is wi-fi access in the bar area but not the rooms - not a big deal. The bungalows are basic in terms of furniture but you can choose a bungalow with air conditioning. There is a small fridge and a TV. Filter water is replenished. The food in the restaurant was amazing! Tasty, hot and a good selection. It was a fun and relaxing place. A walk up the long beach means that you see a great selection of beach bars and restaurants. Thank you Pavillion, we loved it!

Room Tip: I would recommend a room with air conditioning rather than a fan.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Alison H
Pavilion123, Manager at Lanta Pavilion Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2012

I am happy that you enjoyed your time here. We do try! Hope to see you again one day!

Joe

Reviewed March 31, 2012

We didnt have anywere to stay and founded randomly .

Was love at first sight , great swimming pool , beautiul and proudly taking care of gardens . Clean and confortable bungalow with small terrace . Nice beach front spot , nice restaurant andnot far from town if you look for more night life and great staff perfect price what else could ask for to start your holidays??? . We couldnt wait to lay on the beach after the tedious bus ride from bkk .

Then we realised all our money and cards were stollen on the bus ,, please guys watch out bus rides!!!!!!!

So we have to spend 2 days sorting the mess out , Wi fi was great , staff so Helpfull with speacial mention of The manager Mr Hunter Who even 2 months later is still helping me with my bank mess
And its quite nice to be dealing with banks and internet seating in your chair o the beach ....

Highly recomended

Enjoy it!!!!!!Pat

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Patriciaspain
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I booked online for 4 nights but ended up staying for 9. The location is wonderful, the Sunset Restuarant is right on the beach and was a great place to cool off in the shade or watch the sunset. Yes, there are rocks at low tide but there is a nice swimming pool if you want to swim at that time.
The taxi to the village or to another beach is cheap and he is very friendly.
The rooms are basic but it's not 5 star hotel so you get what you get for the price.
I was with a friend for a few days and the rest by myself. The staff and other guests were very kind and inviting. If you are looking for a nice, peaceful vacation, this is the spot. If you want a party go to Phi Phi.
The bar and restaurant staff are super kind. A little slow but sweet. The food is a little pricey but very good.
Down fall- the young front desk girl was very rude. My room wasn't cleaned when I had the "Make my room up" sign was up and she told me there was no sign and it's too late for house keeping to clean. I also told her I would like to stay two more days. When I went to pay the next day with another woman, she told me I never said anything so my room was booked and have to upgrade for 200B.
Besides the one staff member, I had a wonderful experience at the Lanta Pavilion. I can't wait to stay there again!!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Ashrudy
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Lovely setting right beside the beach, tho there are rocks when the tide is out. There is also a refreshing pool available. Nice friendly hotel with very helpful and welcoming staff.Large room was bright, clean and fresh.
Small restaurant has a vast selection on the menu - everything I sampled was very good and served with a smile.
Great for sunsets. A very quiet peaceful location but there are lots of other small restros and bars along the beach, some small shops up on the road, ATM, internet and lots massage places. 20/25 mins from the ferry.
Sad to leave.