“Do not be fooled by their web site”

Twin Lotus Resort & Spa by Burasari
Ranked #6 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
London
“Do not be fooled by their web site”
Reviewed January 22, 2007

We booked a couple of weeks stay in the Twin Lotus resort after seeing the hotels web site. We could not find any negative reviews on the web so though the place must be ok.

We could not be more wrong! Our transfer arranged by the hotel was a plus point and the taxi met us promptly at the airport and took us to the pier for a 20 minute speed boat trip to the resort. Here is were it all went down hill, as we stepped out of the speed boat we thought it could not be the same place shown on their web site. To say it was in need of redecorating was an understatement, it looked like the tsunami had occurred yesterday.

We were taken to our villa where we checked in and had a chat deciding to make the best of it and that it was not all bad! It did not last long, during dinner in which the food was not that bad I went to use the nearby toilets. If I was on a construction site I would have expected to see toilets like these but even in a 1 star hotel I would of been surprised. There had been no attempt to decorate, no soap and toilet roll littered the floor. Still they were in a better state than the reception toilets on both occasion I used them. The final time being when someone had left a present behind that would not flush away, together with the general untidiness and the lack of soap, I went back to the room.

Lunch the next day put us off eating at the hotel for a while, when my Thai salad had an unexpected ingredient, a bug of some kind was clearly visible. The only other time we ate at the hotel was after a diving trip when we were both tired we decided to order room service. Now the staff are generally friendly and very helpful but when I attempted to ordered room service and after 5 minutes in complete despair handed the phone over to my wife because I could not speak enough Thai, nor the girl enough English. My wife struggled for a while before phoning reception who sent someone to take our order, an hour later we had room service. Unfortunately it did not end there as we both felt pretty rough the next day. That was the last time we would eat anything other than breakfast at the hotel.

The final incident for me was discovering a cockroach in our villa when using the toilet one night.

On a positive note the staff do try to help, and breakfast is ok if you avoid the yoghurt that is sitting around unrefridgerated.

I hope this review prevents other travellers being taken in by their web site. We were scheduled to stay here for two weeks but are planning to leave after 5 days. It is a big financial loss but at least we can salvage something from this holiday.

• Liked — clean bed
  • Disliked — overpriced and not maintained
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank alimark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 22, 2007

The first thing that striked me about this resort is it's size. Everything is really spaced out with lots of grass and gardens in between. I had booked a dulux room. We had one look at it and asked to be upgraded. This resort is really strange because it is divided into two areas: the beach area and the back area. The back area is neglected and the beach area is manicured.The back area is where the dulux and superior rooms are which makes it hard to want to stay there. I dont think that the resort wants people to stay there - it's too far away from reception. We ended up staying in a beach frontish bungalow which was beautiful.
I think that the best thing about this resort is the interior decoration which is done very well. I have to say that our bed was the most comfortable that i have slept on in Asia.
I felt that families with young children dominated this resort. I didn't realise that there was a day care sort of facility, which is next to the pool in the beach area of the resort, until i arrived. I would have happlily gone to the other pool but it's in the back area and pool is bit neglected, no towels are placed on lounges and there was what looks like to be an unfinished bar. The pool next to the beach is really nice and the back pool is not no nice which only highlights the division within this resort.
The resort might want to consider removing the flags that they fly. It appears that they may have a preference for the nationalities of their guests.
Overall the service was excellent, the resort is beautiful, buffet breakfast was great.
We had never been to Koh Lanta and we absolutely loved it. I think that we had chosen the wrong end of the island for us who have no children.

• Liked — Our Room
  • Disliked — Family oriented
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank travel35