“Nonexistent Service, poor overall.”

Lanta Riviera Resort
Ranked #136 of 171 Ko Lanta B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Have to agree with all the recent reviews here, there must be better places to stay in Lanta. The reception staff were so dour I thought I was checking into a prison. Our room was only cleaned after days of pestering them to do so. The service in the restaurant by the surly teenagers is terrible, and I got food poisoning the first day from a vegetable sandwich. My wife then noticed one of the servers picking at his toes with his fingers!?! Freedom bar is lovely, as is Pinkies restaurant on the street outside, and the vegetarian restaurant across the road. This is obviously a very long established place in Lanta and therefore gets the custom, but I would definitely recommend avoiding it - the restaurant and service next door at Coco resort was much better...

Room Tip: Go next door to Coco Resort!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

We stayed there for four nights and both the reception staff and the pool guy were very rude, both arrogant and the pool guy even had a go at us! Even though we had paid for four nights half way through they couldnt find our booking and wanted us to pay more - even though I had the
receipt! We spent around 2 hrs arguing. After sitting in the reception a few days later for 15mins I understand this is what they do tO many of their guests.

Nothing worked, they didnt come to clean the room, no clean towels, and on one of the beds no cover (we had to remind them 2-3 times a day and this would mean we got around half of what we paid for.

The only good thing was the Freedom Bar - great bar with really friendly staff! Would recommend you to stay somewhere else but go by Freedom bar for a drink!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed at Lanta riviera Jan 2014, after being told the resort had rooms my partner went to make the booking and payed for our stay, we we're showed a room and agreed a price with breakfast, walked back to the reception to check in and they price was changed!!
They wanted us to pay more 3 mins after already agreeing price, we said no they were very rude, we payed for our 6 night stay at the price agreed. This process took approx 45 mins not what you need after along trip.
The next morning we go to breakfast get rudely refused, we go to reception and get told our room now does not included breakfast... And that if we also wanted to stay in the room we had already agreed on we would have to pay more if not we need to more rooms, we argued to stay but to honest was more hassle then just moving rooms.
After taking our payment for the stay, the reception staff were pretty much saying of we don't like it we can leave, we moved rooms and made the most of our trip.

The FREEDOM BAR was amazing friendly, helpful and very relaxing with amazing views we spent our time around the hotel there :)
When checking, the only other time we went to go to reception. We didn't want to cross them again, she tells us we have only payed for 4 nights and that's the only receipt they have of our payment, luckily we had our original receipt to say we have payed for 6!! If we hadn't had this we would have had to pay to another 2 nights they were saying we hadn't!
Left us feeling annoyed and wishing we hadn't stayed there. Any one can to to the freedom bar we would definitely go back there

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Connie F
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We've been traveling around the World and have never met such impolite, arrogant and lazy stuff ever in the reception.

Our experience overall in Thailand is excellent, very nice people and great food, this resort is just 110% opposite: rude, useless family own resort with staff speaking NO English (with one bright exception Mr Peter, the Chief of the restaurant).

Better go to Coco Lanta resort next door, they are so nice really!
If possible, try to book in advance, not to be misleaded by their agent in the boat to Koh Lanta. They will show you different picture.
Go somewhere else, really!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Barbs R
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I decided to splurge and have a family vacation over Christmas. The price I paid for this resort was around $80-90 per night..for thailand standards you can imagine that I thought it was going to be an amazing resort...boy was I wrong. Firstly after a long flight and transfer a little customer service would have gone a long way. Instead we were met with a group of staff lingering in the reception all chatting and laughing..not even a look in our direction. The boy at the counter was useless..not one word of english which is extremely frustrating when we were trying to sort out rooms for my parents to be next to us...instead he would stare at us and just start doing something on his phone...after about 10 mins of him prob playing candy crush..he would turn to us and just say "no"..without really understanding what we were asking for. This should not be the first experience u receive when just arriving. We had no help with our bags and were just handed our keys and not even directed to where we should walk. We had to spend another 5 minutes asking the lad what direction our rooms were..
we spend extra money on a deluxe room..onr thing I can say is the rooms are of decent size but the room is very dated and not what u would expect from a $90 per night place. The TV was old, aircon not working properly and thr bathroom was unimpressive...spiders webs and ants all in the corners of the room and over the walls.
we thought..we may as well make the most of it so we wandered to the restaurant. I am a vegetarian so trying to explain this to the staff was such hard work. They would just stare at you..not even trying to help. Every morning I receieved a sausage on my plate even though I had crossed it out on my coupon every day! My father had the same problem and sent it back to ask for it without any meat on the plate. The member of staff took it away and said "one breakfast only..u pay"..funny that they can communicate when it comes to demanding payment!so my dad went without his omlette on the first day..he was so angry so he complained to the manager who was very nice and brought out another plate for him. He was the only good thing about this place. He could speak good english and was always helpful when he could be.
The beach was rocky but the water was nice. .but really not worth the money you will spend on this place...I would really suggest you find elsewhere on koh lanta as you will be left feeling very frustrated and disappointed if you stay here.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Where do I start:
1, On arrival the reception host told us to search for our booking. He gave us the wifi password which wasn't working so he had to reset the modem. 10 minutes later he said ok I'll find it....it was on a piece of paper behind him.
2, The staff at the restaurant do not speak English at all, which is not like Thailand at all. You would ask a question and they would just stare at you.
3, We are all vegetarian...we said that on the first day and of course everyday. For breakfast EVERYDAY they would bring a sausage on at least one plate sometimes all 4 plates. When we said we don't want this there is meat on the plate...the guy put his hands in the plate and took the sausage out. When we told the idiot to take the plate back his response "you order you pay" We of course told the idiot the breakfast is part of what we paid. The manager came repeated that we can not get another plate and that if we wanted we would have to pay. The same instance when we ordered an omlette and requested a few onions in there...they wanted to charge for that.
4, For 2 days straight we left a sign that said clean our room 2 days straight they did not. When we caught the cleaning lady on the 2nd day she said it's past 12 (time was 12.45) so we would have to wait.
5, Our flush was not working on the toilet and so I advised reception (11am on 27.12.13) of this issue. He just stared at me as if he had no idea what I was saying then turned to his friends said something on Thai laughed and told me to go they will fix. It wasn't until 6pm on the 28th it was fixed.

The only plus point was Pinkys restaurant at the end of the street. Great food and great service. My advice would be stay anywhere but here even if it is a little more expensive or if the other places are a little smaller. Do not stay here if u want a good holiday.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 26, 2013

On arrival to Lanta Riviera, our reception was rude and completely uninterested. We were half heartedly shown our room, which is extremely basic and very dated. My favourite element being the coral satin valance mixed with the pooh brown very tatty bath towels. My husband and I have been travelling for 3 months and this is possibly the worst service we've received in 5 countries! Breakfast is included in our very over priced room rate, but getting a voucher that is essential to even be offered breakfast was a daily challenge...the vouchers were issued like rations. In terms of the food itself, this has been fairly shocking. The standard meal is toast and choice of egg...This is a very simple meal which you'd be hard pushed to mess up, but without fail on a daily basis they do!

On the plus side, the Freedom Bar on site is filled with very friendly, lovely staff; Charlie and Pai in particular always greeted us with warm smiles and daily chats. The chilled out atmosphere is lovely, as is the stunning view of the ocean, just meters away!

All I can say is if you stay here, opt out of the included breakfast and head else where, and just don't eat here! Don't be tempted by the variety on the menu; it's generally not what you might expect! Also take the service staff with a pinch of salt and just spend time in the Freedom Bar!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple