“Middle of the Road” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #77 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
S. Oregon
“Middle of the Road”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

What can I say about you to be fair? You are not a “back packers” hotel as some reviewer earlier said; but you are also not an upscale place. That’s why I’ll call you middle of the road. Ko Lanta is also not a super busy (read party island and crowded) island such as parts of Phi Phi or Phu Ket, so Andaman fits in well. Being beach front with a nice small pool helps. We walked the beach each night to pick a new place for dinner and have not been disappointed yet. This hotel (Andaman) made a fine dinner tonight (chicken cordon bleu and spaghetti with meat sauce) which cost a total of $12. The beach is full of these types of restaurants just waiting for tourist. I trust you are a person who is trying to decide where to stay so let me tell you a few observations about Andaman. The staff are nice and a little distant/hands off but responsive if asked; the hotel has an excursion desk that will book you on any activity the islands offer (and there are many), the hotel is close to a town and surrounded by shops for laundry, food, water, beer, etc. Getting around the island is fun and easy. We rented a moped for 24 hours ($9) from the hotel, or you can walk many places. There are also 3 wheeled taxi’s, and trucks with seats in the back offering to take you anywhere on the island. I read a review that said don’t get a room on the road side, but request ocean side due to road noise. We are “road side” 1st floor and no noise. The rooms are small as is the bathroom. It appears a little worn but clean. We are here Jan/Feb and it is wonderfully warm even at night. Parents with kids are in abundance here so families fit in. “Room service is available with the same menu as the outdoor restaurant I think, so the choices are endless. Getting money and exchanging money is no problem. The beach is nice, warm, and calm. Great swim beach. I have not seen the inside of Andaman bungalows but think it would be worth the splurge if you have kids or spend most of your time at the resort. I did drive by the other Andaman that is not on the beach side and this seems to far from the ocean for my taste. I like Andaman on the beach for what it’s worth.

Room Tip: 1st and 2nd floor ocean side likely best it you don't have bunglow. Bunglows mostly surround po...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Budgettravelor

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

What a treat it was to stay at this resort. At first the room (in the motel styled building) surprised me, nothing fancy but at least clean and very big! Was great to have such a nice cool pool and have nice chairs with umbrellas around the pool or facing the ocean.

The food was great.. A lot of flies around but you get use to it:s but great service.

A family run atmosphere made for a nice and relaxing time! There were many other resorts near by that looked nice but I'm glad for my experience here

• Stayed January 2012
copenhagen
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

Went there for vacation with my family, 2 adults and 4 small children in november 2011. From home we thought that we had make an upgrade for the room. I had write with the hotel and we were promissed that we should have 2 bungalows on front of the beach. When we came to the hotel, we got 2 bungalows looking to the pool. The beachfront bungalows some other guest had. When we speak to the hotel manager, we were told that it was bad luck. She could not and would not do anything about it. The day after, we told the manager that we would go and look for another hotel, and the same day we told her, that we would leave the hotel next day. Later that evening another hotel-manager, offer us some other rooms, but at that time it was to late. We already had make a booking at the other hotel. The hotel is not good solving problems, they even make themselves.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank CopenhagenChistine

Travelers are raving about these Ko Lanta hotels

Oliver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

I had read the negative comments and my experience could not have been more different. FYI, I found out that the hotel has done a renovation and redecoration. My room was in the hotel section of the resort, not the bungalows, so I cannot comment on the condition of the bungalows. The hotel room we had was very clean, especially the bathroom. Our room faced the street which was good, we had a very nice view of the hillside and we didn’t get the hot afternoon sun shining into the room. Yes, the twin beds were pushed together making a king size bed but at least the bed was comfortable. The air conditioning worked very well and there was also a wall mounted fan so ventilation was never a problem.
Before coming to this resort I stayed at the #11 rated hotel on Trip Advisor and to be honest I thought the ratings on the two hotels were way off the mark. I really felt that the #11 rated hotel was rated too high and Andaman Lanta Resort, rated at #46, deserves a higher rating (perhaps the negitive reviews were prior to the renovtion). Prior to checking out the #11 rated hotel and checking into this hotel I checked out many, many hotels on this strip of the beach so I do feel very comfortable with my comments.
The breakfast was fine, fresh pineapple & watermelon, cereal, fried rice, steamed veggies, toast etc., the standard fare, fortunately there was an egg station which did help with the daily selection. The staff at the restaurant did not speak great English so communication could be a bit of an issue. The food in the restaurant is really quite good, especially the Indian curry. However, the lack of English speaking staff made the dining experience frustrating. If they had less “trainee” staff and more full time staff that could speak English, I’m sure business in the restaurant would pick up. The rest of the hotel staff was helpful and very pleasant.
The pool was wonderful, very clean and inviting. Yes, there were kids but most of the resorts I looked at also had kids around the pool. Unless you stay at an “adults only” resort you’re pretty much going to have kids around the pool, kids and water seem to go hand in hand. The maids left fresh beach towels in my room every day, that was a very nice touch not having to sign for or track down clean, dry beach towels every day.
My only real complaint is the internet is not free; the cost is 200Baht for 3 hours. You can log on and off, so the 3 hours could last me up to 2 days, depending on how much I needed to be on line, but it really is not convenient at all. I would rather pay a bit more for my room and have the internet included. The connection in my room was not very strong and I sometimes had to go to the lobby to get on line.
Overall my experience at the Andaman Lanta Resort was very positive. I would not hesitate to return but I would hope in the future the room cost would include the internet (don’t nickel & dime the customers).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

Before staying in this resort we have visited a few on Lanta. I've got to say room looked dull and lacked character, pool smelt of too much chlorine but bed was amazingly comfortable. This was the only reason we stayed here. The location is good with some really great restaurants next door on the beach and swimming pool is a definite plus. We were a bit dissappointed with Klond Dao beach as it was quite dirty despite of locals collecting rubbish everyday. Not a hotel's fault though.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank ruby_girl05
The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

Very friendly staff, great pool, directly on the beach and close to Saladan, the main town.

Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Palm Desert, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2011

I booked this hotel while at Golden Beach Resort in Ao Nang. I booked a "beach bungalow" and what a got was a building with 2 rooms facing the pool. I had to share my bungalow's patio with another patron and all I heard from the pool was the screams of "Papi Papi" from unruly sweedish children. Every day I left the hotel and walked down the beach and hung out at Ancient Realm. I paid $100 per night and stayed 5 nights. The air conditioning barely kept the room cool, the room decor was tacky and dated, there was little water pressure, and the bathroom could have used a good scrub. The unfriendly front desk staff could take a lesson from the very good wait staff who were by far the highlight of this "resort". I checked out "finally" and went to spend the last 4 nights of my trip at Ancient Realm where the staff were gracious and I really got my own Bungalow and only paid $60 per night.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo