“Lovely hotel but not much to do”

Rawi Warin Resort & Spa
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
London
“Lovely hotel but not much to do”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I travelled to Koh Lanta alone for a weekend break.The hotel itself is very nice, the pool stunning and rooms clean and comfortable. If you're looking for a relaxing retreat, this place is perfect. If however you're looking for somewhere with a bit more buzz about it, then probably not the destination for you. I stayed at the end of September and the place was dead. I probably saw six other guests the entire time I was there. I arrived quite late at 10pm and was pointed in the direction of the restaurant. It was closed. I then returned to my room and called room service, which supposedly served til midnight, but nobody answered despite calling three times. I therefore ended up 'dining' on a packet of biscuits from the 7 eleven over the road.

I didn't bother with the breakfast because at 650TB it seemed extortionate compared to the rest of the menu and I didn't really fancy being the only person in the restaurant. I stayed for three nights and never saw another guest in the bar or restaurant in the evening, so pretty much stayed in my room. There's a few small bars and restaurants dotted along the main road but again, they were pretty empty.

The island itself is not overdeveloped and seems in its tourism infancy. You can book a variety of excursions, from scuba diving to elephant trekking, which are cheap and convenient. Be warned though; the hotel is two and a half hours from Krabi airport. The hotel arranged transfers which I would recommend as the journey also involves two car ferries to get to the island, so you need some local knowledge to get there.

Maybe I went at the wrong time of year, but for me it was a bit too quiet. I've read some negative comments about the staff on TA and I have to say that doesn't reflect my experience. Everyone I encountered was friendly, polite and helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
rawiwarinkrabi, General Manager at Rawi Warin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Robin,

Thank you for using your time to review Rawi Warin Resort and Spa. Reviews like this does help us to improve our service. You do raise some important issues that I will try and respond to.

You raise the issue of lack of Buzz in the period you stayed end of september beginning of October. This is correct even though we have the same weather conditions as Phuket for some reasons most travel agencies stil believe that it rains all the time at Koh Lanta, which isn't true. Due to this reputation many Restaurants, Bars and Hotel close in the low season and especially in September and October. That said Koh Lanta, is not a torusitic place it is calm place where most of the nature is still intact, and for that reason we will not get the same level of Buzz like Phuket or similar places even in the high season.

Concerning the restaurant being closed at 10 pm, we have taken serious actions to ensure that the Restaurant does not appear to be closed or with out service. What have happened on the night in question is that the staff has closed most of the light, even though they infact was on work.

Concerning room service. Our room service close at 11:30. If the phone is not answered immediately it will in the future be transferred to our frontdesk where the order can be placed and off course received in the room.

Jesper Doepping

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Sipoo, Finland
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed at Rawi Warin 23.11-7.12.2011. I travelled with my husband and my little 8 months old son and my father in law and his family; wife and two girls aged 10 and 5. According to our booking our rooms would have been high up the hill, but at the reception I requested rooms near the pool, so we didn´t have to climb any stairs, and of course we wanted the rooms to be next to each other. They upgraded our rooms without extra cost.
Every day we got a fresh fruit-platter in the room. Breakfast-buffet was excellent, the staff was amazing. For example I requested hot water in a cup to warm up my sons milk, and from the third morning on I didn't have to ask anymore, they automatically brought it to the table!
The pool bar was expensive, we only used it a few times. The "sea-pool" was not yet in use and the beach was really rocky. The pool on the other hand was great, the lower childrens pool was perfect and the upper infinity-pool was so beautiful!

We had a great stay here, and will most definitely stay here if we ever come to Koh Lanta again!

Room Tip: Pond Villas are close to the pool, beach and reception, without any stairs!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank SuzanB7
rawiwarinkrabi, General Manager at Rawi Warin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Suzan,

First of all thank you for using your valuable time to evaluate our resort.

We are a completely new Scandinavian management team and we have made some importanmt changes, which follows your recommendations.

The Sea Pool is being set-up at the end of October - and will stay until approximately the end of May.

The F&B areas concept is changed radically to ensure that prices are competitive and reasonable. This means that all prices at the pool and the restaurants are changed. We believe that in the future our guests will find that our new concept make it very convenient to buy everything that they need at the resort.

Our resort is located at a hill. Previously, this could be inconvenient for guests that had small children or did not have the strength to walk up the hill. We have tripled our tuk tuk/golf car service to ensure that guests at all times can be collected at the rooms and be brought to their rooms fast and efficient.

Once again thank you for helping us improve our service to our customers.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Great hotel, very beautiful and tranquil.
Very clean hotel and staff very friendly.
We had to change rooms twice because they were too much of a climb for us.
We had sea views and they were really great.
While there, there was a tsunami warning., Staff evacuated, guests were left behind, but safe because of the height.
Found it difficult to get food and drink that evening.
Whole town deserted!

Room Tip: Rooms a bit of a trek. Look first to make sure you can manage the walk up and down. They give you a...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank a e
rawiwarinkrabi, General Manager at Rawi Warin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

First I would like to thank you for your review and your valuable comments.

We acknowledge that our Hotel while located directly to the ocean also is located in hilly terrain. In order to ensure that the guests can be brought faster to and from their rooms we have expanded our Tuk Tuk service for our guests so that we both can collect guests from the room and bring them to the room in a much faster pace than previously.

Concerning the Tsunami warning. I had not yet started when this incident occured. However, we have followed strongly up on your comments that guests was left behind. the procedure now clearly states who and how we will ensure that all guests are brought to safety quickly and secure. We will test this procedure in the comming month in order to ensure that all guests are proper warned and brought to safety.

South UK
Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

A few tips...

1. Do not stay in the deluxe rooms at the top of the resort, they are miles away from everything (not in a good way). If you are going for the cheaper option book into a pond room. If you can afford it, the ocean villas are gorgeous. We changed to a pond room upon arrival because we had no desire to stay so far away from everything, plus rooms on top of hill (in another time zone) were not great. Pond rooms were nice, clean and modern.

2. Pool is great and we had several nice lunches in pool bar.

3. It is great to be able to snorkel in front of hotel. It is not great snorkeling, but for those who love it, it is nice to be able to do it at hotel which is rare along the Lanta coast. Hotel provides equipment. Ocean pool, whilst not amazing, is fun. Also great place to sit and watch sunset.

4. Breakfast is ok, not nearly as good as other places we stayed on our trip, but good choice and never left hungry.

5. Never ate in restaurants in evening. We considered them to be of questionable quality, always empty and over priced. Check out the cooking schools for some great food (Time for Lime and Roi Thai), both have great food and amazing atmosphere by sea which you will not get at Rawi Warin. Time for Lime is a little farther away but tuk tuk is 400ish baht, Roi Thai you can walk down the beach or take a very short tuk tuk ride, such an amazing relaxed atmosphere.

6. Tuk tuks are always just outside the hotel to take you wherever and good value. Also 7-11 for poolside snacks/drinks just out the gate of hotel.

7. We booked a sale package at the spa and it was really nice. They have treatment rooms with private steam room, jacuzzi and treatment rooms. Very lovely staff. Also good massages on beach just to left of resort for cheap.

8. You can have all your laundry done for cheap just out front of hotel. Quick, good service.

9. Transfers to onward destinations can be booked across the road from hotel at travel agent. This was easier and cheaper than trying to get hotel to do it.

10. The movie room and movie rental place never seemed to be open nor was there ever an attendant.

11. Service was sometimes slow but not dreadful. I would not recommend attempting to get room service. There seems to be something wrong with the management or staffing. This hotel has a beautiful location and facilities, but it does not seem like it is being utilized properly. If they could get their act together it could be amazing.

12. There always seemed to be plenty of lounge chairs unlike some resorts.

Overall we enjoyed our stay on Lanta. We spent a lot of time doing things away from the Rawi Warin (cooking school, diving, shopping and eating out). Days by the pool were nice, but if you are looking to go to a resort where you don't leave and eat all meals at, this might not be the place. If you dive, you must use Dive and Relax, they are the best dive operation, bar none!

Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank TravelbumSouthUK
rawiwarinkrabi, General Manager at Rawi Warin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your time and effort used to review our resort. Your comments has been an important input in our effort to improve our service. You do comment on several important points.

Concerning the food at Watermark, all that have been eating there in general consider our food quality to be very good, however, it has previously been to expensive due to thyat we only applied foreign ingredients. This is changing and our prices are much more competitive.

Concerning our tour and trip service, it has previously been correct that some tours could be purchased outside at a cheaper price than Resort had to pay for the same ticket. We have this year taken out all tour providers that charge us more than outside in order to ensure that our guests always can buy the tour service at the same price as when you purchase directly from the tour operator. There are however for instance 4 companies that provide 4 Island day trips on Koh Lanta, we have chosen 2 off these companies as our supplier. Our selection is purely based on our customers comments about the Tours. One of the companies provide far cheaper 4 island day trips than our providers. We now always inform our customers about this, but also tell them why we do not sell those trips.

Once again thank you for your time and effort to review our resort.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Koh Lanta is a quiet island that is up and coming and was more a relaxing part of our Thailand holiday, and I was really stuck for choice on which hotel to pick this or the Pimalai - I picked the wrong one in staying at Rawi. This hotel is very expensive for what you actually get from a hotel resort this size. Yes, lots of facilities with the movie room, pools, and spa (very pricey) but the service is stifled and not genuine Thai friendliness but slow, forced and not 5*.
A service charge of 10% is added to everything even in the deli/bakery shop which I thought was outrageous - this is compulsory and when challenged told we had to pay. The manger when we visited was an American and quite rude to the staff. I never had any issues with the golf cart drivers - yes they struggle around the small walkways and use the gas pedal very heavy but you can walk and if you struggle with hills/steep slopes don't go as you cannot rely on the buggies as they are few and far between. You will see from the pictures the inside of the closets in our room were disgusting and un-usable, we had a problem with mosquitos in our room as the cleaners always opened doors/windows and left them open during the day.
There were only two pools open when we visited in November and they were quiet. We did not eat inside the hotel in the evening and hired a bike to visit the island and close by restaurants.
We were picked up from the ferry point by the golf buggy driver but returned to Krabi via the vehicle ferry which I would 100% recommend instead of the foot ferry.
Overall, I would rate this property 3* - this gives you a good grounding for your stay but it is very pricey for a 3* I would not recommend or tell anybody to return which is a shame as the grounds hold so much potential but it is unfinished.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Love2travelalways
rawiwarinkrabi, General Manager at Rawi Warin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

First I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our Resort. Your comments has been instrumental in changing our basic concept of service, F&B provided and our activity level. These changes are done by me and my completely new management team.

Concerning the service, we have introduced a "Spirit of Hospitality" concept and training for all our staff. This service concept and the training we believe will change all our guests experiences at the Resort. Part of the service have appeared forced because the Resort has had a policy of supporting the local community by hiring locals more than bringing in staff from other regions of Thailand and Burma. This policy which we believe create a more sustainable and social responsible resort. However, we have not been good enough in training our staff in English and making sure that they feel comfortable in providing service in an other language. This we are working on everyday. I can further ensure you that part of providing a good service also is that the managers treat the staff with respect and in the same way as we treat our customers. VIP service to all also means that all staff treat each other as VIP's.

You comment that: "A service charge of 10% is added to everything even in the deli/bakery shop which I thought was outrageous - this is compulsory and when challenged told we had to pay." I have been working in Thailand for the last 6 years and everywhere it is common practice that there is a service charge of 10% which is shared between all staff (not managers). The major issue is that our prices have been shown without service charge and VAT, which means that our customer do get a chock when seing the final bill, because there is suddenly added 17%, which they cant change. This is changed and our prices includes all charges. this also means that tips to the service staff is given to the waiter/waitress on a completely volunteer basis.

Tuk Tuk service. The new management team are aware that previous seasons has not provided proper transportation service inside the Resort. This is changed and we have significantly increased the number of staff and tuk tuks that are available to service our guests.

Finally, the accomodation and all the pools have been renovated and all will be open from the 14th of September. Further, our housekeeping concept and cleaning has been changed. When some closets appeared disgusting it was basically because they were not proper cleaned and the staff was not proper trained.

once again I would like to thank you for all your comments and assure you that your comments has and is instrumental in the changes we are doing everyday and that we have already implemented.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed June 7, 2012

From the minute myself and my sister arrived we were blown away by the tranquility and beauty of the resort. The rooms were perfect with amazing views of the ocean. The service from the time we arrived was outstanding and they even drive you around on a buggy if its raining. The pool was beautiful and the time I spend relaxing in it watching the sun set over the ocean is now my "happy place", the place I think of when I need a boost. The food in the resturant was also amazing.

If you don't like the idea of a scooter then go directly accross the road and see Adom who's private taxi will take you around the island and he is a great tour guide!

I cannot wait to take my partner to Rawi Waren in the future as it would be an inncredably romantac place for couples!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Anna H
Dear Reviewer,

I thank you for your comments. Because we can see who you are we have taken the opportunity to use you as a case in our training of the staff - in order to show them how guests should be treated.

Again, thank you very much.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 18, 2012

There are 2 high points and 3 low points I want to make regarding this hotel..

high point 1. My wife and I stayed at a deluxe room for 3 nights and find the facilities to be quite good... the music room and the semi private movie room is a blast. You will need to book in 2-hour sessions for either acitivity.

high point 2. Some of the service is very good (but only some). This includes the daily breakfast service and the lobby receptionists. They are very courteous throughout.

low point1. The golf cart that takes us to the room fail into a ditch and had us wait for 30+ minutes. Apparently, they don't have enough cars to go around taking ppl when I asked them.. they say they only have 2 cars going around. The driver just tried to push the car all by himself and never called for help for a long time. At the end, he gave up and asked for help, which the total wait time again is ~30 min.

low point2. Another instance of car taking us to the hotel is the car stalls in the middle of going uphill and the driver, I can only guess from his poor english, that the car is out of gas. He waved and points in the direction of where the room is and very apparent he doesn't want/cannot call another car to take us to the room. I was very surprised as my wife is pregnant and I wasn't ready to ask her to walk a steeply inclined slope. At the end, we did walk.

low point 3. After 8 pm each day, the reception area gets a bit rowdy. You can find the receptionists gather around playing/fooling, car drivers sleeping on the couch...just very un-professional in such high profile hotel chain. I didn't really expect to see this.

low point 4. The staff opened our room door, took our belongings (down to their storage room), and left the door open, on the day of checkout, but we have NOT checked out!! This is the first of its kind. I have never seen this in ANY hotel. After we had breakfast in the morning, we went back to the room to take a shower before checking out only to find the room door wide open, inside the toilet, our toilet stuff is gone (we have taken all luggages out before breakfast except some toilette stuff). This is really a blow off. At the time we went back, no staff was in our room (though the door is opened widely). I had to run down and search for my belongings in the opened storage room a floor below. This is ridiculous.

Overall, we think we probably could have gone to a better hotel with less $$. The experience we get is less than pleasent. We wish you luck in searching for your next hotel. I would have recommend another but unfortunately, we only stayed for 3 nites and only at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chuk C
rawiwarinkrabi, General Manager at Rawi Warin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
2. September, 2012

Dear Chuck,

Thank you for your review. Your comments on both low points and high points are being used to improve the resorts service in all areas. We are making the following improvements:

Service in the F&B area:

We are first of all changing our whole service concept for the restaurants and bars to give you a real feel for Thai Hospitality and especially a 5 star Hotel experience. We are further changing our menu's where the quality of food is still at a very high level, but at more competitive price.

Golf carts and tuk tuk transportation inside the resort:

We have recognized that the internal transportation need significant improvements and have made sure that all golf carts and tuk tuks are updated. Further we are ensuring that we are more adequately staffed to at all times to have the proper level of service for our guests.

Today, all drivers are equiped with a radio that ensures that they can contact other drives and ask for help when needed.

Check-in and check-out procedures:

we have changed our procedure in such a manner that the guests always are present and have ordered the tuk tuk's to come and pick-up the luggage. Further, we have ensured that only our locked luggage storeage room is used to store guests belongings.

Once again thank you for taking the time to evaluate us and make sure that we can continue to improve our service.

general manager