“Friendly and peaceful resort in fantastic location”
Review of Twin Bay Resort

Twin Bay Resort
Ranked #18 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
“Friendly and peaceful resort in fantastic location”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Twin Bay Resort describes itself as a 3* hotel in a 5* location and it's absolutely spot on. The resort fronts a spectacular sweeping bay with a soft sandy beach and the food, service and accommodation are fine for a 3* place. If you want the luxuries of a 4* or 5* place, then go elsewhere, but if you value a friendly and helpful staff, and everything you could expect from a 3* place, then go to Twin Bay Resort. We arrived at lunchtime on my daughter's birthday and, although I hadn't had the sense to pre-order one, a very tasty birthday cake was waiting for us at 8pm on our return from dinner. That's way above 3* service! Both Erik on reception and hands-on resort manager Jonathon were always ready with helpful suggestions for restaurants, bars etc. Their positive attitude had clearly transferred to most of the staff - cleaning, restaurant, bar, driving - who all contributed to a great stay. Free wifi across the resort was also a welcome bonus. The infinity pool was always clean and a pleasure to opt for when the warm sea was just too much of a hassle to walk to, and, although the resort itself was full when we visited, it never felt crowded.
A couple of things which would make it an even better place would be in-room safes (although the free safety boxes at reception worked fine for us) and, for the vain amongst us, a mirror near the plug for hair dryers/shavers. But, overall, a great place for a holiday.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Good morning " positive pensioner" what a wonderful and accurate review that was. Indeed we are as our tag line says a Casual 3* in a 5* location. We are what we are and don't pretend to be anything else. If our staff can go an extra mile to please then all concerned are happy. I appreciate your comment regarding Erik,our guest relations, as he deserves most of the praise, he has become a magnet for most of our guests because of his professionalism and charming manner, oh and he's Swedish as are most of our valued guests.

The points you mentioned for improvements have been noted and as I have said in previous reviews, I am nudging the powers to be to have safes and mirrors installed as soon as possible.

Thank you once again for your review and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

rm@twinbaylanta.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Don't like to say it but there is nothing special about Twin Bay apart from the location, which is on the quietest part of the great beach at the top of the island. Rooms are a decent size but are worn now, and for the price I must admit we expected better.

Breakfast was OK, but left out, uncovered, in the mornings meant there were always lots of flies etc. Coffee was poor quality, eggs 5/10, and not a great array of fruit. In comparison to places we stayed in Koh Phangan (of course it's a different island but still), then Twin Bay is massively overpriced for what it is.

First room we had was a family one, which had a strong smell of damp. Indeed within 5 minutes of walking in a staff member came in to spray the whole place. After two nights we upgraded from standard to a bungalow 'on the beach' for our last night. Pretty much the same but bigger and about 5mtrs in front of the one we were in the previous night. Cost went from about 50euros to 100 and the front door didn't even close properly (gap at the bottom) meaning it was all the easier for unwelcome guest to enter. Appreciate there's wildlife around, but gaps in the doors of 100euro bungalows doesn't help the situation.

The restaurant was just about OK - very bland in comparison to what we enjoyed during the rest of our month in Thailand. The 'bbq' was about the same standard - served up very dry squid and you just felt there was no no real inspiration or 'love' put into what was cooked up. Although the staff themselves were pretty friendly.

The Bar had a sign saying 'always time for a drink' in the 3 days we were there they ran out of Singha twice and it was closed at 10.30pm on the Friday and Saturday night we were there (first week December). Overall, it's a 5/10 place but I've given it two out of five because for the place needs to do much much better.

Room Tip: Our bungalows near reception had good wifi reception. Check room for damp before accepting it. We we...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bram_1971
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear valued guest

As with all reviews I study them carefully before formulating my reply. I totally agree with you about the location and can't and wouldn't change it. The other comments disturbed me however. Being overpriced is a budget issue. If you were on a more devolved island such as Phuket you would be paying almost double for a location like ours. As for bugs under the doors, it is hard to control when each unit is ground level in a tropical garden setting. Admittedly the gaps do occurr under the door through the swelling and shrinking throught the day because of temperatures. I do plan to install mosquito net doors in the future when budgets become available, as with room safes and mirrors etc...

To say that our chefs cook with no passion and love is a little harsh. Yes if we had highly paid professionals then I would too would be disappointed. You have to realize Koh Lanta is a relatively new location and only open for 5 months of the year so staffing is hard to find.

I am not defending Twin Bay in anyway but just want you to understand the island, it's people and it's culture before harshly criticizing the ability ties and skills.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 16, 2012

My boyfriend and I had the most amazing vacation at the Twin Bay Resort. It was a truly an island paradise experience for us. The resort was sandwiched between two beautiful bays and the view from the room was spectacular. The beautiful sandy beach was NOT swarmed by tourists, in fact, it was quiet and serene most of the time. Most of all, the staff here were super friendly and helpful! Especially the Eric, the guest relations guy at the reception desk, he truly went above and beyond. Eric gave us great advices to explore the island of Koh Lanta, he was always there with an amazing attitude, he knew 5 languages (planning to learn a 6th language!), and he was extremely resourceful. I can't thank Eric enough for all he's done for us during our stay at Twin Bay and I highly highly recommend this place!!
-Kathy and Darrick from Seattle, WA, USA

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Kathy & Darrick

Season greetings from Twin Bay Resort. What a wonderful review you wrote about your stay with us recently. Indeed Erik goes above and beyond with every guest he meets and is a true asset to the resort. Also your praise for the staff has been warmly received as they do deserve it. They try their hardest and I cannot complain at that.

Rest assured your comments have been shared with all concerned and with these kind reviews, they make a beautiful day just that little better. We hope you have the opportunity to visit us again in the not to distant future.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2013

rm@ twinbaylanta.com
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 1, 2012

This was our first choice when we decided to go to koh Lanta with our son. We wanted a nice, child friendly and clean resort with a beach à decent swimming pool and restaurant. And we almost got it all. When we arrived we came to à nice bungalow, à bit close to the service building, but allright. Then the rain came, and as it turned out, our roof had à hole so our bed was soaked. When we spoke with the manager hè quickly arranged à new bungalow and all the staff helped us to move. We have had no problems after we moved to the new bungalow.
Most of the staff was friendly and helpful and some even looked after our son when we were all eating in the restaurant. The pool was nice and the views from the pool excellent. The beach is also great, not crowded, shallow water and stretched out, so perfect for kids. Too bad the sand
Is not so good to build sand castles...
The location of the resort is very nice, walking distance to Saladan (turn left at the t-junction at the seaside and find a good bakery annex coffeeshop halfway on your left) and to nice restaurants at klong dao beach. We found very close by L Maladee restaurant, suberb! If you are in for à good walk time for lime is also à nice restaurant at the other end of klong dao Beach. The restaurant at The hotel is allright too, and sometimes they arrange à seaside BBQ. We found the BBQ overprized in compare to the good restaurants in the neighbourhood, but it is à nice touch to the menu of the restaurant and at that moment many guests join in.

What we slightly missed was wifi at the bungalow and à small playground would be à nice addition for this childfriendly resort. Also maintenance of the bungalows and the resort overall is adequate but could be improved to make this resort not only à good one, but à very good one. All in all, à good resort!

Room Tip: THE beachfront houses are worth it for the view, but in all other aspects the Same as every other bu...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DutchLongstrider
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Dutch Longstrider!

Trip Advisor is a mixed bag of feelings isn't it. The previous review was an antonym of your review, guess as we say in English, it's horses for courses.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us here at Twin Bay. I do indeed remember the soaked bed situation and apologize for it. Reason being we had just had an outside coconut tree cutter with little regard for what was below, namely your roof. It has been repaired and hopefully our next cutter will have a better understanding of depth perception.

As you noted, there are indeed good restaurants in walking distance of the resort and Maladee is a good choice for evening dining. Not to say we are not, but I understand our guests need a variety of culinary experiences while here. That is the main reason we designed the map in the lobby to act as our endorsement for various eateries. The wifi as you mentioned is now on its way from Bangkok and hope to have it covering all of the standard rooms with the next week. Thai time can be frustrating sometimes!

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future and sending you all warm Christmas and New Year wishes from the Twin Bay team.

The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed here for a week and did not enjoy it. The staff was rude, breakfast was bad, bedswere horrible (very hard) and location very far from any restaurant. Rooms were clean though. I would not recommend it, for this price you can find much nicer hotels in Koh Lanta.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear valued Guests.

Disappointing indeed. It is the first time I have come across such a review stating that the staff were rude. Sluggish and slow maybe sometimes but not rude. That is a very sad thing to read. I wish you could have elaborated more as to why you came to that conclusion. The breakfast terrible ? Considering we have revamped breakfast and had many compliments from guests about it, again without detail it is hard to address your complaint.

As with all negative reviews, they come after the fact and are vague as is yours. Both myself and Erik our guest relations are on standby at all times and if your concerns are not made during your stay it is very hard to rectify them to suit your needs. We call them hidden dissatifiers in the business. Silent assassins are other ways of describing them. If you wish to elaborate on your dissatisfaction in a private email to me then I would be more than happy to reply. If not then I have no way, nor do other readers of the review to understand your dissatisfaction. It is easy to say "disappointing" without saying why in the public domain. Terrible breakfast, why ? Staff rude, why and how ? Location far from restaurants ? If you walk 5 mins down the bay you come across plenty of restaurants. If you jump on a bike or tuk tuk you are in Saladan town within 5 mins.

I wait your private email to see what actually dissatisfied you during your stay.

Regards
rm@ twinbaylanta.com
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I were here on our honeymoon.

• Mediocre breakfast
• Wifi is spotty in the rooms
• Restaurant is a little pricey but food is incredible
• 15 minute walk to other restaurants and bars
• Ocean water outside hotel has jelly fish and little stingers. Didn't seem as bad farther down the beach.
• Don't pay more than 50 baht per person for taxi from Saladan pier
• No safe in the room. Only safe is in office.
• If not going during high season, book the cheapest room you can and upgrade when you get there (half price)
• Bed is hard as rock
• Several small lizards in the room. They're harmless but my wife was freaked out.
• In November, sunset is blocked by the point. Gotta walk 10 minutes down the beach to see it.
• The "twin bay" part is misleading because the other side has no beach and is inaccessible.
• Air conditioning stays on when you leave the room

Room Tip: If going during low season, book a cheap room and upgrade when you get there for half the price
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear valued guests and indeed honeymooners.

Many thanks for your detailed bullet point review of Twin Bay Resort. As with all reviews, I take the good and bad and praise where praise is required and rectify, where possible the bad. You certainly had some valid points. The wifi covers 75 % of the resort. We purchased a lease line direct for Internet. I can assure you it is much better quality than most resorts due to that very fact. Although it is impossible to get the speeds westerns experience day to day in their home countries, I am still looking to upgrade if it is possible in the future. We are reliant on the TOT which is not the fastest but the only option Lanta has.

The safety box issue is still haunting me. I have on a number of occasions tried to pass the budget required to fit all rooms with safes, as of yet I haven't convinced the powers to be. I will keep trying with that issue. The saladan taxi situation will change as of this coming Friday. I have now got a minibus to use and will be offering complimentary shuttles on the hour and 20 bht per head outside the free times. As for sunset, I wish I could change it but nature is nature. At no point during the year do we get to see it. As you say a couple of minutes walk down the beach and there it is for all to enjoy.

Twin Bay. Yes indeed it was a twin bay up until about 3 yrs ago. After tsunami, the local government proceed to wall it off as you can see. Again I am powerless to change it. But we still remain the only resort with views of two bays.

Thank you once again for your review and rest assured all points have been noted and not ignored.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We are a family of travlling with 2 children aged 12 and 7. we stayed at Twin Bay in October and had a great time! the location is lovely, quite close to the town but far enough to be relaxing. it was very easy to rent both tuk tuks and scooters and to get around the island. The resort is well managed with its strong point being the staff that work there, who are always friendly and willing to help if needed with advise etc. the only small negative point was that the childrens beds were maybe a little hard. overall I would reccomend Twin Bay and would defenetly go back!

Room Tip: All rooms are the same I yhink! beach front look like the best
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Claudia and family,

Greetings from Twin Bay Resort. As always, it's great to wake up, pour a coffee and open tripadvisor and be warmed by another complimentary review, even more so this time with the very positive feed back about our staff team here.

October is always the launch pad month for the high season and is the time we try to put the finishing touches on what I hope will be a mutually satisfying season. The one negative I have noted on a number of occasions is the kids bed. We do infact have extra lining available for the beds if requested. I'm not sure if you brought to my or staffs attention during your stay or not. Rest assured when you come back your kids bed will be well padded to give a good nights sleep.

Wishing you an early merry Christmas. Time flies when good times are just around the corner