“Good location, decent resort, friendly staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Twin Bay Resort

Twin Bay Resort
Ranked #20 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Good location, decent resort, friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

This was our first choice when we decided to go to koh Lanta with our son. We wanted a nice, child friendly and clean resort with a beach à decent swimming pool and restaurant. And we almost got it all. When we arrived we came to à nice bungalow, à bit close to the service building, but allright. Then the rain came, and as it turned out, our roof had à hole so our bed was soaked. When we spoke with the manager hè quickly arranged à new bungalow and all the staff helped us to move. We have had no problems after we moved to the new bungalow.
Most of the staff was friendly and helpful and some even looked after our son when we were all eating in the restaurant. The pool was nice and the views from the pool excellent. The beach is also great, not crowded, shallow water and stretched out, so perfect for kids. Too bad the sand
Is not so good to build sand castles...
The location of the resort is very nice, walking distance to Saladan (turn left at the t-junction at the seaside and find a good bakery annex coffeeshop halfway on your left) and to nice restaurants at klong dao beach. We found very close by L Maladee restaurant, suberb! If you are in for à good walk time for lime is also à nice restaurant at the other end of klong dao Beach. The restaurant at The hotel is allright too, and sometimes they arrange à seaside BBQ. We found the BBQ overprized in compare to the good restaurants in the neighbourhood, but it is à nice touch to the menu of the restaurant and at that moment many guests join in.

What we slightly missed was wifi at the bungalow and à small playground would be à nice addition for this childfriendly resort. Also maintenance of the bungalows and the resort overall is adequate but could be improved to make this resort not only à good one, but à very good one. All in all, à good resort!

Room Tip: THE beachfront houses are worth it for the view, but in all other aspects the Same as every other bu...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DutchLongstrider
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Dutch Longstrider!

Trip Advisor is a mixed bag of feelings isn't it. The previous review was an antonym of your review, guess as we say in English, it's horses for courses.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us here at Twin Bay. I do indeed remember the soaked bed situation and apologize for it. Reason being we had just had an outside coconut tree cutter with little regard for what was below, namely your roof. It has been repaired and hopefully our next cutter will have a better understanding of depth perception.

As you noted, there are indeed good restaurants in walking distance of the resort and Maladee is a good choice for evening dining. Not to say we are not, but I understand our guests need a variety of culinary experiences while here. That is the main reason we designed the map in the lobby to act as our endorsement for various eateries. The wifi as you mentioned is now on its way from Bangkok and hope to have it covering all of the standard rooms with the next week. Thai time can be frustrating sometimes!

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future and sending you all warm Christmas and New Year wishes from the Twin Bay team.

rm@twinbaylanta.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
The Hague, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed here for a week and did not enjoy it. The staff was rude, breakfast was bad, bedswere horrible (very hard) and location very far from any restaurant. Rooms were clean though. I would not recommend it, for this price you can find much nicer hotels in Koh Lanta.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear valued Guests.

Disappointing indeed. It is the first time I have come across such a review stating that the staff were rude. Sluggish and slow maybe sometimes but not rude. That is a very sad thing to read. I wish you could have elaborated more as to why you came to that conclusion. The breakfast terrible ? Considering we have revamped breakfast and had many compliments from guests about it, again without detail it is hard to address your complaint.

As with all negative reviews, they come after the fact and are vague as is yours. Both myself and Erik our guest relations are on standby at all times and if your concerns are not made during your stay it is very hard to rectify them to suit your needs. We call them hidden dissatifiers in the business. Silent assassins are other ways of describing them. If you wish to elaborate on your dissatisfaction in a private email to me then I would be more than happy to reply. If not then I have no way, nor do other readers of the review to understand your dissatisfaction. It is easy to say "disappointing" without saying why in the public domain. Terrible breakfast, why ? Staff rude, why and how ? Location far from restaurants ? If you walk 5 mins down the bay you come across plenty of restaurants. If you jump on a bike or tuk tuk you are in Saladan town within 5 mins.

I wait your private email to see what actually dissatisfied you during your stay.

Regards
rm@ twinbaylanta.com
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I were here on our honeymoon.

• Mediocre breakfast
• Wifi is spotty in the rooms
• Restaurant is a little pricey but food is incredible
• 15 minute walk to other restaurants and bars
• Ocean water outside hotel has jelly fish and little stingers. Didn't seem as bad farther down the beach.
• Don't pay more than 50 baht per person for taxi from Saladan pier
• No safe in the room. Only safe is in office.
• If not going during high season, book the cheapest room you can and upgrade when you get there (half price)
• Bed is hard as rock
• Several small lizards in the room. They're harmless but my wife was freaked out.
• In November, sunset is blocked by the point. Gotta walk 10 minutes down the beach to see it.
• The "twin bay" part is misleading because the other side has no beach and is inaccessible.
• Air conditioning stays on when you leave the room

Room Tip: If going during low season, book a cheap room and upgrade when you get there for half the price
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear valued guests and indeed honeymooners.

Many thanks for your detailed bullet point review of Twin Bay Resort. As with all reviews, I take the good and bad and praise where praise is required and rectify, where possible the bad. You certainly had some valid points. The wifi covers 75 % of the resort. We purchased a lease line direct for Internet. I can assure you it is much better quality than most resorts due to that very fact. Although it is impossible to get the speeds westerns experience day to day in their home countries, I am still looking to upgrade if it is possible in the future. We are reliant on the TOT which is not the fastest but the only option Lanta has.

The safety box issue is still haunting me. I have on a number of occasions tried to pass the budget required to fit all rooms with safes, as of yet I haven't convinced the powers to be. I will keep trying with that issue. The saladan taxi situation will change as of this coming Friday. I have now got a minibus to use and will be offering complimentary shuttles on the hour and 20 bht per head outside the free times. As for sunset, I wish I could change it but nature is nature. At no point during the year do we get to see it. As you say a couple of minutes walk down the beach and there it is for all to enjoy.

Twin Bay. Yes indeed it was a twin bay up until about 3 yrs ago. After tsunami, the local government proceed to wall it off as you can see. Again I am powerless to change it. But we still remain the only resort with views of two bays.

Thank you once again for your review and rest assured all points have been noted and not ignored.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

We are a family of travlling with 2 children aged 12 and 7. we stayed at Twin Bay in October and had a great time! the location is lovely, quite close to the town but far enough to be relaxing. it was very easy to rent both tuk tuks and scooters and to get around the island. The resort is well managed with its strong point being the staff that work there, who are always friendly and willing to help if needed with advise etc. the only small negative point was that the childrens beds were maybe a little hard. overall I would reccomend Twin Bay and would defenetly go back!

Room Tip: All rooms are the same I yhink! beach front look like the best
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Claudia and family,

Greetings from Twin Bay Resort. As always, it's great to wake up, pour a coffee and open tripadvisor and be warmed by another complimentary review, even more so this time with the very positive feed back about our staff team here.

October is always the launch pad month for the high season and is the time we try to put the finishing touches on what I hope will be a mutually satisfying season. The one negative I have noted on a number of occasions is the kids bed. We do infact have extra lining available for the beds if requested. I'm not sure if you brought to my or staffs attention during your stay or not. Rest assured when you come back your kids bed will be well padded to give a good nights sleep.

Wishing you an early merry Christmas. Time flies when good times are just around the corner

Hämeenlinna, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed at Twinbay Resort with my friend near the end of September for total of 4 nights. Location is about 2 km from Saladan town, right next to the beach. There were no bungalows available with two separated beds, so we got one that had one double bed and one extra-bed. The room was clean and comfortable, but unfortunately there were occasionally some bed-bugs walking on the floor that we had to kill.

There was free Wi-Fi in the area and possibility to use computer & printer, both for free of charge. Internet speed wasn't that great, but it might have been due to bad signal quality I had with my smartphone.

Breakfast was included in the room price and it was decent. Nothing special, but served its purpose. Resort also had a nice pool that was cleaned every day and dozen sunbeds right next to it.

On second day we rented two scooters for 3 days (300 Baht/day) from the resort. Bikes were not new, but they worked ok expect the speed meter in one of them.

The only problem we had was with the payment of 2 extra nights. Originally we booked 2 nights via Agoda, but later on we decided to extend our stay for 2 more nights. On the second day when I asked if it would be ok to pay the same price as we had paid for the first two nights, the answer was that it would be fine and we could pay the next day. However when the time to pay came, we were told that they needed to charge us more because the payment was not done in advance. If I had known this, I would have booked the extra-nights the day before, but since it was not possible to make online bookings for the same day, we had to agree to pay more. The higher price really felt unfair because just the day before they confirmed that it would be ok to pay same amount as before.

It was the first time that this happened to me. I have never had any problems like this, even if I have decided to extend the stay just before check-out time.

All in all Twin Bay Resort is a solid choice if you want to stay near the Saladan town. I would have given it 4/5 without the problems with paying of extra-nights.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Ikka,

Many thanks for your review. I have read in details and am disappointed that the extend stay situation turned out like that. I have just got back from a short break and business trip and will investigate it for you to find out what went wrong. Rightly so your review was dampened by that experience and I would like to apologize personally for it. It is my belief that our front office staff either misunderstood your request or felt worried that we would be undercutting the agent. Normally in situations like that, we request the guest to book again online to obtain the same rate, as our direct booking rate is higher than agent rate.

On the brighter side, the positive comments outweighed the negatives which is nice to see. My only hope that your experience hasn't dampened your thought too much and that you would feel happy to return at sometime.

Cowes, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

My daughter and i were thrilled to arrive at twin bay. We were greeted by a hotel consiege, a man from sweden whose english is great. He was so friendly and helpful. The beachfront bungalow was clean and well equipped. The view to die for. The pool is a perfect temperature and very clean. With new management, this place is really worth considering while staying on Koh Lanta

Room Tip: of course the beachfront bungalows are the best.....
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Many thanks for your positive review of Twin Bay. I am currently away on business and our new. " concierge" Erik informed me of your review. Erik is in fact a management trainee with us and is doing a fantastic job in his role, certainly an assets for Twin Bay and a great learning curve for himself.

I agree the beach front bungalows are wonderfully located and the room to grab if available. The pool as you mentioned is well maintained by our trusty engineer and teases me daily. Unfortunately it is reserved for guests and not staff. Maybe one day I will take a midnight dip.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.

Rm@twinbaylanta.com
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

We originally booked for 7 nights but liked Twin Bay Resort so much we extended our stay to 9 nights. We stayed in a Beachfront Bungalow which was big, clean and very comfortable. The pool was always clean and clear and the grounds were well looked after. John the Resort Manager and Eric, the Guest Relations Manager were both very friendly and had great advice on where to go, what to do and eat. We cannot wait to return to Twin Bay and would recommend it to anyone who wants a nice, chilled out break in a great little resort.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Dear Collette and Jason

As always it is a pleasure to wake up to a positive review and am delighted you both enjoyed your stay with us. I am glad you mentioned Erik as I think he will be a good assets to the resorts team this coming high season.

Well the resort keeps changing day by day, little by little, for the better I thin, but high season will be the judge of all our work during the low season. No doubt when you can escape for another long weekend you'll see more changes, but most of us at Twin Bay will remain the same.

Look forward to your return

Rm@twinbaylanta.com