“Good one and comfy.”
Review of Twin Bay Resort

Twin Bay Resort
Ranked #18 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Reviewed January 18, 2012

The rooms are clean and comfortable. The bathroom would need an update, but it was ok. If you dont expect too much, this resort will be good. The service- some people are confused, maybe its the English language barrier, some are very good and helpful. We had to complain on service at the restaurant, it looked like nobody was lookign after the table, the guests had to clean up their own table after the previous customers. But after complaining it changed positively. If you dont mind kids screaming at the swimming pool, thats the place to go. The resort is at the beach, which is great, but the sand is gray colour and there is an emerald water but very peaceful sea though, sometimes it was like being at the lake.The food if good, a bit to expensive. I wouldnt recommend the coctails, hardly you can feel the alcohol in it, it was like drinking fruit juice. Better go for a Chang beer. Dont keep food at the room, couple coachroches visited our room. Overall was ok, but too pricey for this standard.

Room Tip: better room with the sea view
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2012

Dear Magdalena,

Thank you very much for your review and also your patronage whilst on Koh Lanta. I think your review puts our resort on a more even keel after the previous review. Although there were some similarities.

I do recall the day you checked in and remember that was the day you had an unsatisfactory lunch experience. I am glad things got better afterwards. I think you saw me having the meeting with the staff after your complaint and it shook them up a little. It is instant complaints that can be turned around positively and that was a clear example of that.it.

The cocktails you mention, i will show this to the barman and use this review to upgrade him and the cocktails. These kind of reviews help me get the point over to the staff.

I hope that you had a good onward journey after leaving Twin Bay and hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you both back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed January 17, 2012

We are not high maintenance people but this hotel was by far the worst hotel we have ever seen. The view from our room was amazing and the beach was okay. You couldn’t actually lie on the beach but walking it was nice. The room itself was horrible in fact we left a day early and tried to leave even earlier but they wouldn’t refund out money. The room itself had rotting floors, mouldy walls, smelly towels, dirty sheets, dirty shower, dirty toilet, very hard beds, broken furniture, cracks in the ceiling and doors. Many critters were able to get into our room, including cockroaches and we even found worms in our bed. Litter was left on the grounds, never picked up by any staff. At some point we picked up garbage and threw it out because it was just sitting there. The hotel itself was infested with rats that came out at night and we saw several climb the buildings, going into people roofs. Breakfast was okay, however nothing was covered, leaving many fly’s to sit on the food. Fruit was kept in the sun leaving it to rot. We once came to breakfast at 10:10am and almost everything was taken away, even though breakfast was until 10:30. They charge more than in town to rent a scooter so I would recommend going in town. The rooms also don’t have safes which was very inconvenient. The staff at the front was very nice and tried to accommodate our needs however management never talked to us even after we brought up our problems.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SMTJMT
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2012

Dear Sir,

Firstly may apologize for the dissatisfaction you obviously encountered during your stay with us. As the manager i take ever comment seriously and act upon it. None of the things that you mention were ever brought to my attention during your stay, and if they were, i can assure you i would have attended to each complaint in order as i do with every guest in the resort.

It seems you found a symphony of disasters during your stay. I must admit in the 7 weeks i have managed this resort, only two ring a bell. One being the bed hardness and one being the critters. I have sent you a personal note to ask when you stayed and what room number so i can investigate your claims. I hope you reply so i can follow up on my investigation.

Breakfast comment confuse me somewhat as fruit is never left in the sun at anytime due to is location on the buffet and bamboo covers are provided for fruit and salads during breakfast. Also our breakfast has never been open till 10:30 am. It is open from 7-10am.

As for myself ignoring you, i can rest assured that if you had asked for me or seen me i would be aware of the symphony of disasters you say you had, and would have done anything to rectify your dissatisfaction. It would be good to know who you actually brought all these complaints to during your stay with us.

Please feel free to follow up this with myself using my work email so i can address each of your complaints and learn a bit more about your stay.

Reviewed January 12, 2012

We stopped at Twin Bay in January and found the rooms to be clean, beds comfortable and the staff most accommodating. The hotel is under new management and they seem to be trying to make some improvements to the property. The new manager really listened to our suggestions. We loved the walks along the beach. Great location.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2012

Dear Valued Canadian Guests,

Firstly, thank you for taking time to write a review of your stay at Twin Bay, and for choosing us a your holiday resort while on Koh Lanta.

Behind any General Manager there is a team of staff that go about their day servicing our guests to the best of their ability. I am delighted they got a mention. I am also glad i found a guest who reviewed the beds they slept on, in a more positive light. As i am sure you are aware, we have come under some pressure to soften the beds and have now ordered more comforters to soften them up and ordered duvets for all the Executive rooms.

The walk on the beach is lovely as you say, especially before breakfast, the whole bay belongs to you and a handful of exercise enthusiast. 3 kms of endless sand and scenery. Not a bad way to build up an appetite for breakfast.

All of us here at Twin Bay appreciate your comments, and they are yet another driving force to move us on ward and upward.

Reviewed January 10, 2012

We stayed at this resort for two days over Christmas before we decided to change accommodation. The bungalows we saw were in need of some updating and the bathrooms were particularly dark and sad - with old fixtures and concrete, grey floors. The shower had no water pressure. We had bad luck as the walls of our hut were inhabited by a family of mice who didn't let us sleep all night (to put it nicely) and left us with a very bad feeling. Our friends fortunately didn't have this problem in their hut but agreed that the resort felt rundown and wasn't worth the money. Breakfast was average, as was the pool area. We tried to order a juice at the pool bar one morning and we were told there was no juice available. I wasn't expecting luxury accommodation, but the basics to enjoy a quiet beach vacation in Thailand. We paid a premium to stay at this property and our expectations simply weren't met. I wouldn't recommend this hotel until they fix some of the issues they clearly have going on and upgrade all rooms and huts to meet 3-star quality standards.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

All reviews both positive and negative are what we here at the resort need to improve our product and service.

Although your review is one that reflected your feeling during your stay, i am still happy to receive your comments. I recall you telling me of your sleepless night at breakfast when i met you, and offered to change your room, as your friends were not experiencing the same problem, but you decline the offer. Wildlife is part of the island and not easy to police. I have asked a pest control company to come this coming Thursday to advice on matters, hopefully they will be able to come up with a solution that is environmentally friendly.

I think as i said to you during your stay, the resort is in the middle of transitioning itself and all matters that can be address during the high season, will be addressed. Our low season renovation plan is well in place and comments like yours reinforce our already planned renovation.

As for the lack of juice at the pool bar one morning, i would have to look into delivery times of our fresh fruit during that period, I can only imagine because of the islands hotels being full, the suppliers were slow in delivery. Canned and boxed juices we have at all times at the pool bar.

Anyhow, i would like to thank you for your stay with us, and being in Singapore, i hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future to show you our renovations and service upgrade.

Reviewed January 4, 2012

First off the place needs some sprucing up. Having said that we had an amazing time. The staff were excellent, the food was really good, and the location was outstanding. The hotel manager was on the ball and really made our stay memorable. To take this rating from a 4 to a 5 I would recommend the following:
1) finish replacing the old wooden decking around the pool and the walkways
2) The gardens are lovely but way to much garbage(bits of paper and plastic) scattered throughout the gardens. Clean them up
3) Replace the mattresses in the family room bunks. They are as hard as rocks. Not even a child could have a decent nights sleep on one of those
4) The rooms are very spartan. Put something on the walls. Add a throw rug or two.
5) Update the look of the hotel with a new color scheme. Get rid of the orange!!!

Having said that I got the impression that there was a plan to update the hotel and I look forward to visiting it again when we return to Ko Lanta.

1  Thank Bruce M
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2012

Dear Bruce and family,

Many thanks for choosing Twin Bay as your holiday resort while on Koh Lanta. The 5 points you listed to take us onward and upward have been received well and point 2 especially can be addressed immediately, and the remaining points throughout the low season renovation window.

Indeed our service staff are a credit to the resort and your kind words will be forwarded to them, along with a pat on the back for our kitchen team for their great food.

I sincerely hope i have the opportunity of welcoming you and your family back again in the near future with a fresher looking resort, and with the friendly service staff that made your holiday so memorable here at Twin Bay.

Reviewed December 20, 2011

The location of this resort was for us great, on the north end of the beach, and not as crowded as further south where the resorts are right next to each other. But we were traveling with small children, and for us, the location was perfect, for others it might be a bit out of the way, as there is not much else around. But its only a short walk on the beach (with flashlights!) to other resorts/restaurants. The room itself was ok (very creaky wooden floors), but the airconditioning unstable (started spitting ice one night!), and the bathrooms absolutely horrible in colour and design. The "blood-spotted" red cement made it look dirty and not very inviting. The shower has no water pressure at all. The resort restaurant had OK food at reasonable cost, but got a bit boring and very "resorty" after a few days. The breakfast was also a bit sparse and boring; OK if you like eggs and bacon, not so great if you´re into fresh bread, cheese and fruit.. The staff were very friendly, some of them at times quite uninspired, and the receptionist did not speak very good english. In total, we enjoyed our stay, but felt the resort was a bit overpriced for what we got, compared to other places we stayed in the same area.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2012

Dear Maria

Many thanks for choosing Twin Bay resort for your holiday location. As you say, the location is lovely being at the northern end of the bay, far enough away from the distant bustle in the middle of the bay, yet close enough to it if you want.

By looking at your photo of the bay which i think you took from your room balcony, you stayed in room 332, one of our executive villas. If that is the case, then i apologize for the squeaking floor boards. I will have my engineer look into fixing the squeak. The bathroom i tend to agree with you, the red does give it a not so desirable affect. Will look at ways of enhancing the bathroom this coming low season. The water pressure was something that was not brought to my attention, but will certainly have that fixed to give the desired pressure for showering.

On the food front, i appreciate your comments about the breakfast. I think you may have just missed the last upgrade i did to it, to make it look more appealing. I am searching for a good bakery to supply us and hope to have an improvement in the coming months. The staff as you say are very friendly, they are all trying in their own way to do the best they can. The language skills is still a point that needs addressing and i am trying to teach them a few words a day.

I would like to thank you once again for your comments. They all go a long way in helping us adjust to meet our guest expectation.

Reviewed November 29, 2011

Was a bit dissapointed with Twim Bay Resort it looks lovely from the pics & it is nice when you get there but our room which was a Beach Front (what beach a strip of flat sand) was old & in sad repair!!!! Beds are as hard as a rock!!!
There is nothing to do yes I know you go there for a relax but after a few days nothing except listen to the same music being played at the restaurent & pool area.
The pool was nice but the rotten timber decking was very sad!!!!
Breakfast was boring same every day not nice at all.
Staff were lovely & some could speak good english but most of the time they played around & didnt show much interes in what you wanted.
There is nothing happening at night except sit on the edge of the grass are near the sand to eat which was nice(millions of mosquitos be prepared) & the food from the restaurent was nice but took ages to get & there was hardly anyone there!!!
The gardens are really lovely but like I said millions of mosquitoes
Not worth the money we paid!!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
JDeeKohLanta, Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2011

Dear Valued Guests,

Firstly i would like to thank you for your review of our property, and i would like to take this opportunity to address your comments. I have just joined as Resort Manager today, and i don't like to leave any points raised by our guests unanswered. Your review has shed light on things that are in need of attention, and or were in the process of attention whilst you were staying at the resort.

The re-decking around the pool has been half completed with a clear completion plan in place. The music i must agree needs to be looked at to create a mood reflective of the time of day and location. As for the staff's lack of attention to guest's needs, that is a top priority for me to address through training and clear job directives. The food as you say is nice, this is one thing i have heard from our guests today, the slowness of service however i will look at and find ways of improving it. And finally, the mosquitoes. I been made aware of them and will make sure that the resort has a fumigation schedule by the local authorities.

I hope that my response has shown you, and any other reader, of my clear intention to enhance Twin Bay's service, and position it as one of the leading resorts on the bay. Reading the positive and the negative feedback gives us a better outlook on which way to move forward.

I hope that we have the opportunity to show you our enhanced service in the not to distant future, and please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to re-book or correspond.