We have just came back from Layana. We stayed at Ocean 1 and enjoyed the stay. The hotel is small but with a very well kept territory. The weather was rainy for 5 days (no surprise given the rain season), then we had a week of sunny weather and quite sea. The hotel was making some construction works, but everything was handled very professionally (we were informed, given various frebees and discounts further to already very reasonable prices) and we did not care of some noise. The construction is going to finish some time soon in the autumn and they are going to open a renewed restaurant. The highlights:
- Food/bar -- There is a Swiss guy Daniel (ex-Blue Lagoon in Samui) in charge of the restaurant/bar service and Chef Felix in charge of the kitchen. We liked the food and service and there was not a single dish that we would not like to order for the second (or third) time.
- Accomodation -- in our opinion the best places to stay are Ocean 1 and 2 and Beach 2. Beach 1 is very close to the fence bordering the territory with some very strange locals living just accross the fence. Beach 3 and Ocean 3 are standing very close to the pool where most of the people spend their time and the privacy is hard to get. There are two floors in Ocean 1 with a nice terrace on the second floor with a good view. The suite is well kept and clean.
- Management -- the owners ara South African couple Bob and Margie and they are very pleasant and look after their guests, always available to speak if there is any need.
- SPA -- I would never thought that I will enjoy spa so much that I would actually survive through so many treatments we had at Layana (rainy season obviously helped))) The design of the spa is much simplier than in some other spas we have been to, but the specialists who work there try hard and we liked it a lot.
Things to know:
- If you come there in a low season beware of the ferries between the islands. You will have to use them twice in order to get to Koh Lanta from Krabi Airport and the service is very very very unreliable. On the way back to the airport we left the hotel 4 hours before the flight and only due to the great driver (who broke all the rules, but did it very professionally) we could make it 10 min before the departure! On a high season Layana uses the boat to get its guests to the hotel to avoid the hussle with the ferries.
- there is some litter on the beach, which comes with the rough sea, but the hotel cleans the beach in front of it. Otherwise the beach and sand are very good.
- Koh Lanta is still quiet in comparison with some other destinations in Thailand, with not a lot of things to see or do (children may be bored). If you want to enjoy your privacy this is the place to go, but do not expect a choice of entertainment/places to see as you could find on Samui, for example. And thats exactly why we liked Koh Lanta so much))
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Layana Resort & Spa is nestled on Koh Lanta Yai Island in Mu Koh Lanta National Park. The park is a marine archipelago, home to verdant tropical rainforests and undersea kingdoms of colourful coral rich in natural marine diversity. The resort enjoys a spectacular beachfront location on a 3-kilometer long white sand beach, situated about 2 hours south of Krabi International Airport. Environmentally-conscious design throughout the property results in a simple and elegant Thai atmosphere; alfresco architecture combining with contemporary design to provide an open, cool and natural feel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Agoda, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Layana Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Layana Hotel Ko Lanta
- Layana Ko Lanta