“Perfect Honeymoon”

Ranked #1 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
London
“Perfect Honeymoon”
Reviewed February 12, 2007

My husband and I spent the first week of our honeymoon at the Layana Beach and it was wonderful. We stayed in one of the beach villas, which is on two levels. This has a separate upstairs area with a day bed and desk that looked out over the ocean.

The hotel is lovely, not too big and the staff are fantastic. They try very hard and nothing is too much trouble. My husband and I went to the spa a few times which was very relaxing.

The pool is nice and good for doing lengths. There are nice touches such as iced water and fruit kebabs every so often.
The hotel is not expensive and the food and selection is very good.

We were there in the low season so to get to the hotel from Krabi takes over 2 hours and two ferries. I would recommend going in the summer when you can get there by speed boat.

We also ventured into Koh Lanta and went to a great seafood restaurant which cost about £5 for both of us. It felt very safe and was nice to try out some local cuisine.

This is a great hotel and the owners take a lot of care and pride in the place and its shows. I would definitely go back there.

• Liked — Cleanliness and space
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank SuntanQueen25

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Copenhagen
Reviewed February 3, 2007

This is one of the most fantasic places/resorts we have ever stayed in. From the beginning of our stay and until we left everything was perfect and the service fantastic. Not so that you feel it to much but absolutly the right level. The resort is situated in a huge garden with space, palm trees and the mountains in the background. Very green and well kept. The rooms are big and beautiful, the swimming pool fantastic, the beach very clean and with white sand and clear water. Everybody was exceptional kind and helpful. The resort has it own tour program which is very attractive and done with own staff and speed boats. The restaurant is great with excellent service and a high food quality. This is a place you would like to stay at for ever!

• Liked — The fantastic service
  • Disliked — nothing to add
  • Stayed January 2007
6 Thank Ejaas
Nottingham
Reviewed February 3, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Layana in May 2006 for 3 nights.

We loved the rooms - the attention to detail was fantastic.

The pool was beautiful and the staff very attentive, delivering cold drinks and fresh towels when they noticed we needed them.

The food was really excellent. It would have been nice to have had an alternative restaurant to select from, but we found no fault with the choice or the quality of food. It rained every evening whilst we were there, this bought out the bug's, but we weren't unduly bothered by them, it just looked a bit unsightly, dead bugs all over the restaurant floor (the restaurant has open walls).

The staff were wonderful - they really were the best that I have experienced in Thailand. A particular mention should go to Golf at the bar by the restaurant, he really made our stay very special.

The beach was ok, certainly not the best in Thailand, but pretty. The sunsets were beautiful.

I think that 3 nights here was plenty, any more and I think we would have grown tired of the hotel amenities. If you are going to use the Layana as a base then it is an excellent choice. If you are going there and expect to have entertainment on hand then you may find it a bit too quiet. I think that children would be very quickly bored. The DVD library was an excellent touch though for those rainy nights!

I would definitely go back to this hotel again if I was staying on Ko Lanta.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The lack of entertainment / location
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jussieb
Somerset, England
Reviewed January 27, 2007

We have just returned from 10 nights of bliss at The Layana. We would echo most of the comments made by the other reviewers and would add that it is all the little things about the hotel which make it stand out. These include, in no particular order:
1. Check-in is actually done in your room. No queues at reception in this hotel!
2. There are floral decorations everywhere which make it such a pretty outlook and they are changed daily
3. Very attentive staff but unobtrusive (this could be Michael's Swiss influence!)
4. On our 'Phi Phi island' trip (well recommended) using the Layana boat, we had lunch on a quiet deserted beach far away from the masses
5. As another reviewer said, the food and drinks are very reasonable considering the luxury of this hotel. Also, if you go to the bar for 'sunset hour' you can get 2 cocktails for 200 baht.
We did go out for some meals and would recommend Funky Fish for lunches (turn right up the beach, 10 minutes walk) and Lanta Seafood in Saladan (10 minutes on tuk tuk - 100 baht each way) for dinner.
Altogether, we had a fantastic, relaxing time at the Layana and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone

Stayed January 2007
7 Thank Butcombe
Singapore
Reviewed January 21, 2007

I was deciding between NAKAMANDA and LAYANA for my first trip to Krabi on 17 Jan 2007. I was won over by the reviews posted on tripadvisor and booked my short stay there. It surely did not disappoint on major areas. However, being a 5 * resort, I would expect better quality pillows. They are ordinary cotton-filled pillows which are very soft and uncomfortable. Also, I cannot find a rack to hang dry my swim suit. Inspite of these, I will still choose to stay there because of it's impeccable service, excellent beach and superb room.

Stayed January 2007
1 Thank MEGESingapore
Leicestershire
Reviewed January 20, 2007

We stayed at the Layana for 10 nights in November. It is difficult to expand on other reviews of this hotel and in our opinion the Layana undoubtedly deserves top spot in the Ko Lanta hotel rankings. From the minute we were greeted by hotel staff at Krabi airport through to our return 11 days later (where hotel staff completed the check-in on our behalf - it seems this a formality Layana's guests should not be troubled with!) everything ran smoothly and nothing was too much trouble.
The hotel has been beautifully designed to allow peace and tranquility whether in your room, around the pool or on the beach. The staff were both gracious and attentive, and language was not an issue. Excursions were excellent, which for us included the Sunset cruise, Ko Rok and 4 island snorkelling trips and the trip to Phi Phi. We also hired a 4 wheel drive for the day, organised at the drop of a hat by the hotel (very inexpensive), and enjoyed a day exploring the rest of Ko Lanta.
We would like to thank Michael (Hotel Manager) and all the staff for making our stay so memorable. We only hope it's not too long before we're able to return for another piece of paradise!

• Liked — High standard of accommodation and excellent staff
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Anythingbutwork
manchester UK
Reviewed January 20, 2007

My partner and I together with two friends have just returned from a six night stay at the Layana. We had a totally fabulous time. From the moment we arrived by the hotel speedboat Michael and all the staff at the Layana did their very best to make sure our stay was wonderful. The resort is quite small and that is part of the reason it is so good. The rooms are spacious and well set out, most of them overlooking the lovely lawn and gardens. The pool area is great and the infinity pool a real treat to cool off from an arduous sunbathing session. The beach is not the nicest in Thailand but it is clean and the sea is a nice tempreture. The Layana restraunt is very reasonably priced. For a resort of this standard they do not rip you off and we ate there for either lunch or dinner most days. The staff really do make the place. The staff in both the restauraunt and at the pool were very attentive but not intrusive. You had immediate attention when you first sat down to order a drink or food and also when you arrived to choose your sunlounger for the day. If you made any attempt to move your sunlounger or put up the sun shade there was a mad sprint across to you and it would be done in an instant. The complimentary catamaran was good fun. My partner got a heavy cold while we were there and I went to reception to get him some medicine. They did not have anything suitable but within the hour the staff had gone to the chemist in the town and bought some medicine and brought it to us. I was really impressed and thought that showed a real attention to making sure the guests were well looked after. The location of the Layana is good and a short walk up beach takes you to several bars and restaurants which are lively and do cheap beer and food. Mr Wee's does good pizza and drinkable wine. I would highly recommend The Layana and Ko Lanta. This was my 5th visit to Thailand and I would definately say that the Layana was one of the best hotels I have stayed at in Thailand. I would go back in an instant.

• Liked — The location and service
  • Disliked — nothing