“Please do not waste your money”
Review of Mike's Collection

Mike's Collection
Ranked #5 of 9 Shopping in Ko Lanta
France
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Please do not waste your money”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Over the years my experience of tailors in this region has been mixed but Mike's Collection is by far the worst I have experienced. I visited on Hotel recommendation because I had bought some some cotton and linen in Chiang Mai that I wished made up into shorts. The quoted price was reasonable and I provided a pair of shorts as a pattern of my requirement. Whilst there I also asked for 2 short sleeved 'formal style' shirts to be made in their silk/cotton fabric and again provided a shirt as pattern. Whilst the collar style might have been copied the rest of the shirt in ters of length and cut was not. My wife asked for a linen/silk skirt to be made. Two days later we attended a fitting. The one pair of shorts seemed reasonable but needed a little change. My wife's skirt was nor quite right but the promise was that the shortcomings would be rectified. The rest of the garments were made and delivered to our hotel. There were problems with all and Mike came to the hotel and said he would fix. Next evening we went to collect but the garments were far from good, button holes not in the right place or fraying already and materiel snagged. Mike said again he would fix but we were running out of time and, moreover, he did not have any more of the cloth for my shorts. It should not require repeated fixing! When pressed he admitted that he was not at tailor but a salesman. It is my belief that there is one 'factory' in Saladan (Ko Lanta) that all the 'tailors' there use so there is every likelihood that they are all salesmen and their product is equally mediocre. Please learn by my experience and do not waste your money. Certainly avoid Mike's Collection and possibly the others.

Visited March 2013
4 Thank Nigel Y
LantaIslander, General Manager at Mike's Collection, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Nigel
Sorry to hear that you have not been satisfied with our service. All our products are hand made according to measurements or samples we copy. Therefore we always make fittings to adjust the clothes. Most of the time the "first issue" is a bit larger as it should be to easy adjust the clothes to the body shape of the person that has ordered them. Therefore most customers are a bit surprised that the clothes do not fit 100% on the first fitting. But after adjusting everything the clothes do fit.
Our tailors are mainly working for our company. To secure best quaility we have 4 different tailors. For shirts/blouses, trousers, jackets and lady dresses. This guarantees the professionality of each clothing type as they are real professionals in their field.
As far as we can remember everything started very well with your order. But after you have tried to change a fitting time to an earlier time (we could not do that as the clothes were still in process with the tailors) time started to be short as you came for fitting 1 day later. Still not an excuse that you are not 100% happy but maybe a reason.
We are recommended by many hotels and others here on Ko Lanta and this since many years. If we would not have hundreds of happy and satisfied customers I guess they all would not send their customers to our place. We are sorry that somehow you are not fully satisfied but believe that this experience should not count for tailoring in general and our shop in particular.
Sometimes missunderstandings can lead to bad experiences as well. If you have the chance to be on Ko Lanta again, please visit our shop and we can have a coffee together to have a chat and maybe I will be able to gain back your confidence.
Best regards
Markus (Mike's Collection, Ko Lanta)