“The best food I ever ate in Thailand”
Review of Kwan's Cookery

Kwan's Cookery
Ranked #17 of 326 Restaurants in Ko Lanta
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I wish I could eat at Kwan's everyday. We certainly did while we where in Koh Lanta. Fresh and flavourful dished are cooked right in front of you in this cosy restaurant/cookery. I can honestly say that I'm addicted to Kao Soy, Kwan's specialty dish from Chiang Mai. Lucky for me Kwan also teaches Thai cooking classes (hugs and smiles included), so I can now attempt to make this at home. Kwan's cookery was one of the highlights of our month long trip, and we were not the only ones that kept coming back, taking taxis from all over the island to taste her wonderful dishes. A special and warm thanks also to Kwan's husband and daughter and her attentive staff, all of whom make a visit to the restaurant a wonderful experience.

2  Thank Christy J

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Really nice atmosphere, the owner was very helpful and explained the dishes to us. Our food was very tasty and it wasn't too expensive - so good experience overall, would recommend.

1  Thank Maxine S
Reviewed February 26, 2014

My boyfriend and I went out of our way to find Kwan's as we heard it was THE place to go on Lanta. However upon arrival we were not greeted, we were sitting on a table filled with someone's used plates and cutlery etc and this was not seen to. If they had been filled to the brim then I could understand but we were there during low season and there were quite a few empty tables. After around 15-20mins sitting on a dirty table, we weren't even asked if we wanted a drink so I'm sad to say we left which is a shame as we were so excited about trying the food.

Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

Kwan and her husband were super personable and friendly. The food was very good and beautifully presented. One nice thing about the menu is that for most dishes, you can choose between rice, yellow noodles or rice noodles. My friend knocked her shake over and after helping us clean up the mess, they brought her a knew one within 2 mins without us asking or charging us extra. They also treated us to deep fried pineapple and banana for dessert.

Try the pineapple shake. It was yummmyyyyy!!!

Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

If you want the best local food that hasn't been "Europeanized" except for the amount of chilli then Kwan is the perfect place. I have lived in Bangkok for 7 years and have been very picky when it comes to pad thai, curries, and most of all fried rice as I used to eat that constantly. I never found the right balance in other countries (and in Bangkok in some cases) where the quantity matches the quality and that spark of taste really makes it taste amazingly good.

Because the food was so amazimg we took the cooking course and learned the pad thai seafood, panaeng curry (Kwan's specialty), fried rice, and the tom yum soup.

She is a great teacher and you can feel the local touch of how she organizes and the overall setting. Its all private lessons and she even teaches a couple of her Kwan's secrets!!!

My wife and I loved the experience. But the best part of all was eating what we cooked and "OH MY BUDDHA" (as Kwan's says) the food was simply delicious.

The best food in Lanta!