“Poorly run tour by Opal... choose someone better”

4 Islands Day Tour by Opal Travel Speed Boat
Ranked #15 of 37 Tours in Ko Lanta
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I agree with the previous poster on many points. I wasn't feeling well when I left our resort and although it was a calm day and I have never been seasick in the past, I became unwell during the tour. I actually think it could have been food poisoning but who knows. Well, they couldn't have cared less. The other people on the boat were more helpful and supportive than the clowns running the tour. My husband said lunch was bland and uninspiring and they just sort of rushed us from island to island with never a question as to my health. Then we got to Ko Muk and they just led us off through the water and although they were particular about wearing life jackets, all the guides were at the front as we went through the pitch dark area which means those of us at the back were truly on our own, in the dark. There werean older couple behind us yelling out for some lights as were we... they just didn't care. Then once we were through the cave they took great delights about telling us about the tourists who had died there! Great! Then when we went to go back ( and I had spent half the day sleeping on the boat) they made me ride up the front which was so incredibly rough as the sea had become quite choppy. I wasn't seasick but I really felt they were having a bit of a joke at my expense -silly farang. May be wrong on that one. Then we started dropping off guests and one of the motors on the boat stopped working. They spent about 15 minutes trying to fix it while we floated along in a cloud of diesel before starting up the remaining engine and heading for the next resort which was ours. They said that they were going to drop all the remaining guests at our resort and that taxis would be provided. We were staying on Long Beach. Well they dropped us all at the other end of the beach from our resort ( and the taxis) and said their boat was broken and that they could go no further. So we all wade ashore and then watch as the boat takes off, goes right past our resort and heads for town!

1  Thank travelbunny

Reviewed April 3, 2013

The day start badly when Opal were 30 minutes late collecting us from our accommodation. We called twice. I knew what this would mean and I was right - almost last onto the boat, with everyone waiting, the briefing already done so we missed it, and very little space left on the boat. It got worse when the skipper said we were still waiting for four people and how it was bad that people were late, he would go without them but it wasn't up to him etc etc. this really riled us as we had been left waiting at the end of our road for 30 minutes, so doubtless the remaining four were in the same position. I thought this was incredibly unprofessional and uncorporate. So your staff are late for the pickups and you blame your paying customers...nice. I could have got off the boat there and then.

We did the Phi Phi Island tour. It was ok. No fault of Opal but really it felt like horrid mass tourism as all the places we went to were rammed with similar tourist boats. Not my idea of fun. The snorkeling was pretty good but the crew fed bread to the fish (as did all the other boats) which I thought wasn't the done thing. Monkey Island was awful, masses of tourists circling the monkeys, feeding them bananas and (we heard) one monkey swigging from a coke bottle. really, people. Phi Phi don was such a disappointment, we last visited 15 years ago. What a good example of how mass tourism can wreck a place. A ferry pier with dozens of tourists coming and going, a pretty average market covering much of the place, a massive disappointment compared to the idyllic island it one was. Not the tour's fault, but I just wouldn't recommend Phi Phi for this reason.

The crew were ok, not brilliant, and I don't think anyone left tips. The lunch was average too, nothing remotely special. I got the impression the crew were going through the motions and that Thai sparkle was definitely missing. We did a snorkeling tour with another company and they were way better.

Children. We took ours, 11 and 9. It was ok, but lots of time spent speeding from one place to the next, so perhaps not ideal. Other families had smaller children. I personally don't think the trip is well suited to small children, given all the time spent at sea, although those families may feel differently. Just an observation.

The number of tourists on the boat was 30. It was a squeeze. I'd asked at time of booking and was told that, although the boat could take 45, we would likely be 30 on this trip as high season was coming to an end. We were in fact 30 and it stretched the boundaries of comfort. I wouldn't be happier with any more on the boat, not just for comfort but what about health and safety??? And where would they sit? We were already crammed into the seats as it was, another 15 people and I can only imagine they would have to sit on the floor. For this reason, if no other, I would not recommend this company. There are plenty of smaller, niche companies on Lanta, or hire your own longboat. If you like mass tourism, this is your thing. If not, avoid like the plague. We won't make the same mistake again.

2  Thank Coleyach
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Enjoyable tour, staff were very nice and the tour leader was very informative and gave us a brief on what not to do. Kradan Island was a favourite so make sure you snorkel off the beach, which was much better than the other spots we visited. My only complaint is that the boat was too overcrowded, some people didn’t even have a seat on the 45 minute trip to and from the islands, this also made it very uncomfortable getting in and out of the boat when snorkelling. For this reason alone I would suggest you try another tour company.

1  Thank LazeandGraze
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Went on a day trip with this company in February, it's Ok, but not too exciting, the snorkling trip that they provide is average, same as with any other company on the island. The food was also average but they did provide free bottles of water, although they could have served water from big re-usable plastic bottles that get filled on the island, and served them in re-usable jugs. So they are not very eco friendly, generating a ton of plastic garbage. Also failed to mention environmentally friendly snorkling techniques, like not allowing people to touch delicate marine life or staying away from coral reefs in fins. Failed to mention highly poisonous marine life like scorpion fish, that I found plenty on the visited reefs.

The thai staff was really nice and polite though.

1  Thank AliceMorozov
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My wife and I really enjoyed our tour with Opal travel. The crew were very friendly and kind. The boat was smaller than most of the other tours, which allowed more flexibility on getting in and out of some of the more crowded areas. The tour was also timed to get to the crowded sites before the main crush of people arrived. We would definitely recommend this tour outfit to others.