“Great genuine italian food”

Sole Mare Italian Pizzeria and Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 307 Restaurants in Ko Lanta
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: New italian pizzeria and restaurant, our pastas, bread and dessets are all freshly made in house and we using ingredients directly from Italy as cheeses, cold cuts, coffee & decaffeinated coffee, gluten free pasta, olive oli and much more. The pizzas are cooked in an authentic Italian pizza oven.
Asker, Norway
“Great genuine italian food”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We had a couple of pizzas and a bruschetta to begin with, and it all came out just perfect. The bruschetta was rich in garlic and with a very good bread, and the pizzas where baked in a proper oven so that made for a perfect crust. A nice open place, with nice staff. If I where to point some fingers I would have set up some kind of mosqito defense in the restaurant, and that they didn´t cut the pizzas before serving them. But anyway, that doesn´t in any way ruin a very nice dinner, and we will definatly come back here.

• Visited December 2012

• Thai first
Boquete, Panama
“Near perfect pizza”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

A wonderful Italian Restaurant near the beach on Ko Lanta. Two gentlemen from Ravenna have built a real pizza oven, and their pizza was the best we've had since we left Rome in May. They also make perfect pastas for those who wish the occasional change from Thai food. The pizza was so good that we went back and celebrated the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday there with bruschetta, pasta, then tiramisu and a beautifully prepared dessert they served us – apple sailboats on a thin sliced pineapple sea.

• Visited November 2012
Prague, Czech Republic
“A genuine Italian pizza in Thailand”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

For understandable reasons, I mostly avoid European food when I'm in Asia, and this is especially true of Thailand with its rich culinary tradition. But, having already spent more than three weeks in Southeast Asia, I decided to break the rule when, on the main road about 800 m from the pier, close to the gas station and German Bakery, I spotted the elegant (perhaps even a bit over-designed, but to my taste that's not much of a sin :) ) interior of Pizzeria Italia. I admit that, based on the nice appearance, I expected something slightly better than the usual barely passable pseudo-Italian food you can get in most places in Thailand, apart from a couple of upscale restaurants in Bangkok, but what we got was a piece of Italy magically transported to Koh Lanta. Everything was simply impeccable and totally authentic, from a pizzaiolo, deftly kneading and juggling the dough before inserting it into a genuine "al legno" oven to one of the best tiramisus I've eaten in my life (and almost a year of it has so far been spent travelling around Italy and enjoying its cuisine(s) :) ). A friendly Italian owner/manager, unobtrusively supervising every detail, which is, I guess, the only way to maintain this high level of quality and authenticity on the other side of the world, completed the picture of a very well run restaurant. The food isn't cheap for Thai standards (two delicious pizzas with superbly baked crusts and genuine Italian toppings, two starters, two desserts, with a couple of drinks and two best ristrettos I've had not only in Thailand but anywhere in Asia came, with a bit more generous tip of cca 15%, to cca1500 bht, which is around 37 euros, or approximately the same amount you'd expect for the meal in a simple restaurant with checkered table-cloths in Italy), but the price/quality ratio is, in my opinion, still excellent, and I can heartily recommend the place. Among the few things I didn't like about Pizzeria Italia was the lack of real outdoor seating (though, if you have a table close to the front of the open interior, the experience comes rather close to it) and air-conditioned indoor space, some slightly less than tasteful wall decorations and a couple of small mistakes in serving that otherwise very pleasant and, for Thai standards, well-trained local waitress made, but the food was so much better than anything else with Italian label you can find thousands of kilometers around, including the capital, that these are really minor points, mentioned only for the sake of fairness and completeness of the review (or perhaps because I'm a former food critic and a compulsive perfectionist :)) ).

• Visited August 2012